px600 plasma or 40w2000 lcd?

C

craigpp

could anyone recommend one over the other please as im looking at both of these and cant decide which way to go

Badger0-0

Distinguished Member
HD all the way, Sony.

Mostly SD, Panny.

All IMO :)

dalespitfire

I had a demo of the 46" W Sony prior to purchasing my Panasonic 50PX70 and to be frank I thought it was awful even after tweaking it for half an hour - the X series was a different matter though, but far more expensive.

The Sharp XD1E was much a nicer pic (though riddled with issues and due to be superceded I believe).

I swore blind my next telly would be an LCD (previously had a DLP), but after demoing many, in my eyes they are still light years away from a well set up Plasma.

Badger0-0

Distinguished Member
Ah, correct :suicide:
I was confusing the W with the X.

The X is the only LCD I can recommend, from what I've seen

redtigga

IMO for standard def 1080 screens struggle. Given most viewing tends to be sd then I would be tempted to rec plasma - at least that was my conclusion.

Having said that if you are primarily looking to watch HD or importantly looking to play HD console games you should go for the LCD. The Sony X is the best but you pay for it. The Sammy LE40M86BD Or Sony KDL40W2000 come highly recommended although the Sammy seems to have less issues with backlight clouding.

scoob111

I've seen the Sony W2000 next to the Panny PX70 in JL and the Sony is ahead on every count IMO. LCD seems to be catching up and overtaking plasma and certainly on HD 1080p LCD is the only way to go.

Glenn Wood

I've seen the Sony W2000 next to the Panny PX70 in JL and the Sony is ahead on every count IMO. LCD seems to be catching up and overtaking plasma and certainly on HD 1080p LCD is the only way to go.

Funny you should say that - I was the opposite. I saw the Sony 40W next to the Panasonic 42px70, both connected to the sky HD demo, and it was that that turned me to the idea of my next tv being plasma. I'd read many good things about the Sony, and maybe it was the store setup that was the problem, but the Panasonic picture was definitely better. Better colours, black definition, etc, and the Sony had a definite outline around a graphic of a program title that wasn't there on the Panny.

As I say it may have been down to the store setup in Aberdeen, and I'm sure there are many pros and cons to both.

I hasten to add, I have not actually made a purchase yet - that is likely to be May or June.

CHFels

could anyone recommend one over the other please as im looking at both of these and cant decide which way to go

Why these particular 2 models? The PX600 is about to be discontinued, and is prone to purple snakes problems. The PX700 is due out soon, a matter of weeks at most, for *less money* - on the continent, list price is €1800 :thumbsup: . The Sony W models have suffered "clouding" that induces suffering in the owners who try to watch in a dark room. In a couple of months a new series of Sonys is due out, too, with 100/120hz processing for much better handling of motion.

I wouldn't buy either unless something's forcing you to buy right away and you have decided you don't like any of the other new sets out there (PX70s, Samsung Q97s or M86s . . .)

Cheers,
CHFels

dalespitfire

We'll have to agree to differ there.

SD pictures looked simply awful on the Sony, like watching through a layer of vaseline. HD wasn't that much better either - I was watching the Liverpool V Arsenal game for around 30 mins and despite numerous tweaks it looked poor IMHO.

Also unless you have a PS3 you aren't going to get any benefit from a 1080p set, and there is some doubt whether you see any benefit whatsoever at 40" (unless you sit 3 feet from your screen of course)

C

craigpp

thx for the comments guys if you go for neither what tv would you buy for around £1500

ozzzy189

Distinguished Member
LCD is still poor with movement, and seeing as 100hz made crt picture movement worse, i fail to see how it can improve an lcd. I`m waiting for new pan pz700 and pioneer 8th gen panels. i watch sd material and have a 360. lcd looks nice until it moves with games, IMO.

The latest video from AVForums

Samsung QN95B 4K QLED TV Review
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom