1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PX100 vs PX200?

Discussion in 'Headphones, Earphones & Portable Music' started by sirlukas, Sep 11, 2005.

1. sirlukas

sirlukas

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +91
    Hi, I was wondering which headphones are better PX100 (open) or PX200 (closed), and whether there is ANY sense to change my Koss Porta Pro to any of them?

Could you tell me their pros and cons?

PX100: 15 – 27,000 Hz (apparently weaker bass, but nice soprano)
    PX200: 10 – 21,000 Hz (great bass reproduction, bit worse soprano)

Which one would you go for, and why?

Regards, sir

2. Fatality_

Fatality_

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The PX200 may not fit you and they will be bad (if they dont). The PX100 are pretty much a solid choice.

3. sirlukas

sirlukas

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +91
    So, they are for people with small ears? Do they have to cover whole ear to be good? Have You ever tried them both (PX100 obviously yes)?

4. extremelydodgy

extremelydodgy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +61
    I don't think he has... probably just read the Headroom review. The PX100 and 200 both have the same headband assembly. The fit is different in that the PX200 has a vinyl earpad which forms a partial acoustic seal. The PX100 just has a foam earpad.

The PX100 is easily one of the best mini-phones around at that price. A little over-bassy, but many people like that and is relatively clear-sounding, yet not piercing or fatiguing.

The PX200 is closed, which means it offers some isolation but the effect of closing it while in the same chassis as the PX100 means that the sound is made murkier than the PX100. It is however a lot more practical for commuting IMO... the PX100 leaks a lot and also doesn't isolate. I ended up not using the PX100 at all, and now use the PX200 as my mini phones of choice. Not the greatest sounding phone, but far better than many portable closed phones I've had at similar prices.

By the way, even 21,000hz is not 'soprano'. Dog whistles are ~14,000hz, and compressed audio doesn't reproduce frequencies above 16 ~ 17,000hz.

5. Nic Rhodes

Nic Rhodes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,277
    I prefer the 200, less noise for others around you as well, but there is nothing wrong with either set. Both should fit all heads as dodgy has explian very well.

6. KoThreads

KoThreads

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +157
    I've got 2 pairs of 100's and love them.

I only had a little time to try both and i found i just liked the open sound of the 100's instantly better, to me the whole lower end on the 200's was duller by comparison.

I have to say that I found more bass on the 100 than 200 but the advantage of the 200 is less sound leakage so you won't annoy so many passers by.

I can't say if they would be better than your Koss phones as i've never heard them.

7. sirlukas

sirlukas

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +91
    I think, they might be as good as, but not better ;)

8. Fatality_

Fatality_

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I dont really think there is a point in changing the Porta Pros to them.. unless you really have too much money. :p

9. sirlukas

sirlukas

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +91
    Haha, I was only wondering, because My Koss Ear Buds (is it a proper word?) have just begun to disappear, and I have to think of replacement or new headphones (I know that second option is really stupid). Ok, so anyone of You know where can I get original "ear buds" :blush: in England without ordering from Koss USA?

Cheers

10. Petemare

Petemare

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    PX 100's are a much better headphone overall than PX 200. The arguement that the 200's provides more isolation is a good point, but for a supposedly "sealed" phone the 200's don't have much of a seal at all. Besides that, the bass with the 200's is pretty much nonexistent. Even when I got a heaphone amp I thought to myself YEAH, THOSE PX200'S WILL PROBABLY SOUND GREAT IF THEY'RE AMPED! No dice...Even amped I found there was no bass. On the other hand, the PX 100's sound outstanding coming out of an amp. If you still want a pair of 200's I'll sell you mine. As far as I'm concerned they were a waste of money.

11. extremelydodgy

extremelydodgy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +61
    How do the K26P's fit you? Do you get similar or worse isolation?

12. flushme

flushme

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    K26P outchallenge the Porta Pro on all areas. Bass, isolation, highs, you name it.
    And they're VERY LOUD.

13. sirlukas

sirlukas

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +91
    Are You being totally serious, cause if I am gonna buy them?

EDIT: What about AKG K24P?

14. flushme

flushme

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    yepp, i'm serious. K24P? i don't know, have not tried them.

15. StevieDvd

StevieDvd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +151
    Watch out with the AKG26P as there have been reports of some of them being very bad in the bass dept.

Mine are OK but some of the head-fi members have reported what I can only assume is a bad batch or new design. A few who have them and also bought new sets find the new ones are not as good for some reason.

Steve