PWD8 or PHD8

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs Forum' started by absthechatter, Mar 14, 2006.

1. absthechatter

absthechatter
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I keep changing my mind, mostly because of rumours of fan noise!
    I already have a PWD7 so I know the quality these Panny Panels can give (it's moving in to the daughters room though).

I have no intention to rush out and get HD TV. I use NTL and will stick with that, will probably give it a try when it's been out for a while.

So I suppose my question is, what will give me a better picture for SD TV and DVD's, the PWD8 or the PHD8. I also have an I-scan HD+ that will be used on whichever panel I buy and will probably connect that the analogue route unless anyone can tell me there is an improvement going digital.

Many thanks

Abs

2. nheather

nheather
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9,997
    I went through the same thoughts.

I went to AV-Sales to view the Pany PHD8 versus the Pio 436 - the Pany won. But then I looked at the PWD8.

I viewed both the PWD8 and the PHD8 with a variety of inputs including Sky and HD and to be honest couldn't tell the difference at normal viewing distances.

I came away from AV-Sales having decided to save £600 and buy the PWD8.

I couldn't buy then as I had quite a built of building and decorating to do. As the weeks passed I changed my mind and in the end went for the PHD8.

I did this because partly because I had the money but mostly because I'm a bit of a worrier. I figured that if I went for the PWD8 then I would imagine that every imperfection I saw (even though probably in the transmitted source) was down to the PWD8 and wouldn't have been in the PHD8 - and pretty soon I would work myself up into regretting the decision.

In short I figured that although the initial expense might hurt you never regret buying better.

So I have a PHD8 - I'm really pleased with it. It does make a nice short whoosh on start up and then if I stand close and listen carefully I can hear the fan. In normal viewing conditions I don't notice the fan at all - the Sky+ disk/fan is much noiser by comparison.

Cheers,

Nigel

3. Piers

Piers

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +230
    With the 7 series I would have steered you towards the PHD7 every time over the PWD7. With the 8 series SD material looks just as good on the PWD in my opinion. The analogue inputs are very good, don't bother with digital (only valid for SD mind).

4. absthechatter

absthechatter
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Thank Nigel

I have been to view them both too and could not really see a difference. I am sure someone has stated before though that the PHD is not as good with SD material. I also wonder whether one or the other will handle the signal from my scaler better! I am not too bothered about the extra £600, but don't want to spend it and end up with a worse picture than if I had got the PWD.

Too many decisions......

5. absthechatter

absthechatter
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Thanks Piers

If the picture is no worse on the PHD for SD, would you recommend going for it just in case I decided to get some form of HD input? Also in your ISF travels, have you found whether a scaler is better handled by a PWD or a PHD?

Many thanks

Abs

6. Piers

Piers

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +230
    I don't think I have done a scaler with a PWD8, most folk with scalers tend to have the HD panel. If HD material is "unlikely" I would save the money and maybe this could be the first scaler + SD panel cal!