1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PWD8 or PHD8 ?

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by nheather, Sep 23, 2005.

1. nheather

nheather
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,349
    Firstly, please accept that a "PHD8 + Scaler" is beyond my budget.

So here's my dilemma - my budget will run to either

(a) Panasonic PWD8 plus a Lumagen DVI
    (b) Panasonic PHD8

Sources
    ======
    Sky+ and DVD, both on RGB SCART

Viewing distance
    ============
    At least 12 feet

Feeling about HD
    ============
    Definitely interested but won't pay through nose to be an early adoptor.
    Sky+ >> when box price is reasonable, subs are dropped and plenty of content
    DVD >> when dominent format emerges, hardware and disk prices are reasonable and range of titles is good

I must have a Plasma this year.

Which would go for?

Cheers,

Nigel

2. UKseless1

UKseless1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +35
    Have a look - see if your eyes will accept the SD PWD8, it still allows you to view the HD offerings when finally served up (downscaled). If you are combining with a scaler as well then there are a number of knowledgeable folks here would say that this is probably a no brainer.

3. nheather

nheather
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,349
    I agree that viewing willbe best. Trouble is finding somewhere that can demo PWD8+scaler vs PHD8 is probably less likely then winning the lottery (in which case the problem goes away anyway).

Yep, these are just the guys who I am hoping will comment.

Cheers,

Nigel

4. DFL

DFL

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Hi Nigel,

I see you are still having this dilemma. If you can afford the PHD8, I remeber Gordon mentioning that the internal wizardy is different and "improved" on its SD sister.

The PHD8 will probably still give a lovely SD picture and you could pick up the Lumagen when the pocket is more flush. OR does it have to be done at once?

Indeed, you may find that in 6 months time you can afford the Lumgaen HDP, not just the lumagen DVI. Bigger and better.

In the meantime, you will certainly not be disatisfied with regular tv being piped into your plasma and your DVDs will look great. Does your player upscale to 720p? That would be a cheap option to get the most out of the PHD8 until cash is more readily disposable.

So my 2 cents: Get the PHD8. You know you want to :) I can't see you sitting in front of a PHD8 saying I wish I had gotten the PWD8, but I can see you sitting in front of the PWD8 saying, I wish I had just held out a little and bought the PHD8. Then get yourself a scaler later, maybe you'll find one cheap on the AV forum sales room... you never know.

kind regards
    Darren

5. NWhiteley

NWhiteley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +93
    i was wondering the same thing ...eventually deciding on the PHD8 and getting a scaler in a few months time. i believe i have made the correct decision, and i get it wednesday next week