1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PWD8 is a RGB VGA Converter required

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs Forum' started by peacemakerdan, Oct 9, 2005.

1. peacemakerdan

peacemakerdan
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Dear all,
    Just in process of buying PWD8 from AV Sales.
    Got a brother in law who is a would be electrician....He says that all I need is a S Video to Scart lead and a fancy converter is a waste of money.

I notice from reading these forums and from Av Sales that a JS Converter (130ukp) is an essential buy...can anyone help as to whether I do need the converter and why??
    Cheers

2. av2diefor

av2diefor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The would be electrcian is partly right.

The JS tech scart/component convertor will give you a sharper picture than s-video, and i have tried both..............

You would then need a component to vga lead, Gizlaroc reported that these screens now handle scart well so theres another option, it must be good as he is fussy :)

3. symanski

symanski

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    The RGB to Component converter allows you to connect up to the VGA input on the screen, this being the best connection on the screen. So what you get is a sharp and crips image on the screen.

While you could use S-Video, you can do better.

All the best,

Dr John Sim.

4. peacemakerdan

peacemakerdan
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for replies,
    I`m all for getting best picture I can ...what sort of % better quality do you think we are talking..30%???
    I will be looking at getting the HDMI board early next year so presumably the converter would become redundant then?

5. peacemakerdan

peacemakerdan
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks again think I will order it from JS tomorrow.
    Just to confirm exactly what I need is it.
    RGB to Plasma VGA Converter JS £120

Component to VGA lead.

I also would like to connect DVD player, Xbox and Sky.
    Should I buy Quintax Scart controller??

Really appreciate response.
    thanks again

6. Mep

Mep

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +477
    no, vga lead...male both ends...scart from sky to js box and vga from box to screen (unless of course you want the rgb to component version)

7. av2diefor

av2diefor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The best picture will be by a rgb/component convertor, then vga/component lead.
    Having tried both i would guess this gives around 5% improvement over rgb/vga and 20% better than s- video.
    Hope this helps.

8. Mep

Mep

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +477
    sorry av2diefor..missed your post above. So you get rgb to component but then component to vga cable?

9. av2diefor

av2diefor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yeah Mep , thats what i found to be the best.

I had a judder issue on the PHD8 going rgb/component, i narrowed it down to the JS convertor or the vga/ component lead.
    Had the convertor checked (thanks John) and it was fine, so it was the lead.

While the convertor was being checked i went in s-video and it was really good, i also tried a rgb/vga JS box and it was better than s-video.

The rgb/component really "shines" though, and i found this to be the superior connection.

10. Mep

Mep

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +477
    interesting...cheers......I was also surprised how good s-vid and scart were on PHD8....

11. Nitrox

Nitrox
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Regarding connections to a plasma, I’ve hand my Panasonic for four years now and I found an inexpensive way to connect RGB (NTL box) to S-video, I use the component connections for DVD. I have tried RGB to component converters without much success, they didn’t work very well (for me anyway). I am very happy with the image I get on the panel with the RGB to S-video converter I brought from Maplins at £34.99 http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=30782&doy=9m10

I know your all asking, if you’ve had your panel for fours years why didn’t you go for a better connection i.e. RGB to VGA. Originally I had the original NTL box which only output to S-Video or composite, this box has just recently gone to the big Pace box in the sky and the new box outputs to RGB. I did try an RGB to VGA converter with very good results, but at £150.00 for this cable I didn’t want to spend that much as I’m about to upgrade my AV system and I thought £35 was acceptable for the time being.

What you have to take notice of when using a Scart to S-video lead is, you have to set the output of what ever Scart socket you are coming out of to S-video, if you can only output to RGB or composite this connection will not work propply.

12. gizlaroc

gizlaroc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +794
    I would agree with av2diefor here, I would go sky to JS rgb-component converter and then use a component to vga lead.
    You get a really nice image and keep the colour adjustment, I think the vga converter is as good, maybe even slightly better, however I think there is too much saturation on eother the sky output or on the screen, so using the component converter you can calm it down a bit and make it look more realistic.
    Also if you have or get an amp with component switching you can input dvd and sky through it and never touch the plasma remote again, a far easier set up.

13. symanski

symanski

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Nitrox,
    if you bought your screen a few years ago it was quite an investment. Personally, when you spend that amount on something, if a device for a tiny fraction of the price can really make it shine, then it really is worth it. I originally came up with both RGB to S-Video conversion and RGB to plasma VGA before any other company in the UK, and the latter was driven by people like yourself. They'd spent several thousand on a screen, and while they were happy with S-Video they asked if I could do something better for them (Thanks Tony et al!). Going in via the VGA really does give a sharp crisp clean image, but you'll be limited by zoom modes and colour adjustment. For me, I like that as I've always opted for a clean unprocessed image. But, if you do require these features, RGB to Component (where I was also first!) is the better option.

Gizlaroc,
    and if you don't have a component switching amplifier, there's also the Master Component Controller. The automatic YUV switcher!

All the best,

Dr John Sim.

14. gizlaroc

gizlaroc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +794
    John,

I love your products and have owned the S-video transcoder, the YUV transcoder and the VGA transcoder too and can not praise them enough.
    I now use a Crystalio scaler and go in SDI though so no longer have any need for them, however, if you bought out an HDMI to HD-SDI, VGA or even YUV transcoder I would be the first to buy it! ;)

15. WSH

WSH

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +39
    I'm a little confused. Some say RGB to component gives a better image and the colours can be adjusted, some (on other threads) say RGB to VGA gives the best picture quality.

Also if I connect the DVD and SKY scart to a scart switcher like the JS box and then to the JS converter would that work?

16. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,030
    Hello all

peacemakerdan - best to let the would be electrician stick with the LX work :)

I'm not sure exactly what everyone is advising you about as you haven't (as far as I can see) said what it is your trying to connect to the Display via an S-Video to SCART cable :)

The PWD8 has an In-Built HD15(VGA) socket that works with RGBHV and YUV signals.

The PWD8 is supplied with the optional Composite/S-Video Board - plus it has two expansion ports you can populate with a range of analogue and digital Input boards.

What sources are you looking to connect to your Display - you say you 'also' have a DVD, X-Box and SKY; what else do you have? (Make and model numbers is good for working out connectivity plans).

WSH - the RGB2VGA converter produces a slightly shaper image over the RGB2YUV converter - though you loose the ability to adjust colour in the Display when you Input an RGBHV signal from the RGB2VGA converter.

Choose your compromise - a slight loss of sharpness (RGB2YUV) or a loss of colour control (RGB2VGA).

If your DVD player has an RGB equipped SCART Output you often don't require a SCART switcher (unless you have additional RGB SCART equipped sources) as the SKY Box has Two SCART sockets and can be used in 'passthrough' mode.

Connect the DVD to the VCR socket on the SKY box and with the SKY box in standby you can view the DVD player - the RGB Output from the TV socket of the SKY box connects to the RGB2YUV or RGB2VGA converter and both the SKY and DVD signals are converted before hitting the Display.

Best regards

Joe

17. peacemakerdan

peacemakerdan
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Joe for your expert advice.

I am wishing to connect Sky, XBOX(when required) and DVD which is a JVC XV-THA5R(has S Video and 2 Scart).

I will be looking to upgrade after Xmas to a decent DVD with HDMI also.

Many thanks
    Danny

18. WSH

WSH

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +39
    If I use a RGB2YUV can I not turn the sharpness up in the plasma settings so it looks as sharp as the RGB2VGA?

Do you find the colours do need adjusting with the RGB2YUV and the RGB2VGA colours look false?

19. symanski

symanski

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    It's just that the VGA solution is the sharper of the two on the screen. While colour adjustment is limited on the VGA input, I've never really had any issues with the picture I get. It's just sometimes a little too raw for some people - not used to sharp vivid colours!

All the best,

John.

20. bilbo_2212

bilbo_2212
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I thought an option for VGA operation was to use a "cable conversion"?
    i.e. DVD RGB o/p via scart to RCA connectors, connected via RCA to VGA cable plugged into the VGA i/p on the PWD8.
    Am I off base on this---?
    Will this work or will quality be lost?

21. gizlaroc

gizlaroc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +794
    This shot was taken on a PW6, the colour setting is at -5. I am sure on another PW6 it may have to be on -1 or +2 to get the same saturation as they all seem to be different.

[​IMG]

22. WSH

WSH

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +39
    If the RGB2VGA converter produces a sharper picture than the RGB2YUV converter that means I'm more likely to get a worse picture on Sky due to more apparent pixellation and blockiness doesn't it?

23. symanski

symanski

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Not necessarily. Just that the RGB to Plasma VGA unit gives the sharpest and rawest image. You still have the option of reducing the sharpness on the screen, something that I always recommend looking at. Some people think it should be max'ed out, but that's not the case. It should be adjusted down so that you don't see the pixellation's edges.

All the best,

Dr John Sim.

24. WSH

WSH

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +39
    Can the brightness and contrast still be altered with RGB to VGA? Decisions decisions!

25. Mep

Mep

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +477
    yup

26. symanski

symanski

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings: