1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PWD8 - input advice

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by StrongSilent, Sep 2, 2005.

1. StrongSilent

StrongSilent

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    I'm very close to ordering a PWD8 but had some questions regarding inputs.
    I have a number of scarted devices (EH50, satellite, Xbox, DVB etc) and a PC.
    I currently have the DVB and satellite feeding into the EH50 to enable recording.

What's the best way of connecting everything to the panel?

Would I need to have the correct terminal board fitted for each type of input (scart, vga, component) or is there a suitable media-box, or hub which I could connect everything to and then just have one neat cable going to the PWD8 ?
    Also, how could I utilise he direct-record (q-link) from the EH50?

This PDF lists all terminal boards on p.3 http://www.av-sales.com/pdf/Brochure-PWD8.pdf

Thanks in advance ;)
    H.

2. Piers

Piers

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +227
    There are quite a number of different ways of doing it, much depends on what you need / want and as ever much depends on budget.

If picture-in-picture / picture-and-picture is important to you (I never use it) then separate input boards will be the way to go, complete with the rats' nest of cables that this will require.

If that isn't important then the relatively cheap option is to feed all the RGB devices into a switcher like the Quintro then via a J S Technology RGB to VGA converter and into the VGA input on the panel. Some prefer the RGB to component converter as this allows adjustment of colour saturation which the VGA one does not.

The bettter, but much more expensive option is to buy a good external scaler. This will allow each device to be connected optimally (if you get the right one), each input to be properly calibrated and then just one lead goes to the screen.

3. StrongSilent

StrongSilent

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Thanks Piers. Actually PiP is something I'd use a lot, so I'd better start finding the right input boards.
    I do like the idea of a good scaler but have no concept of what's a good one.

H.

4. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,593
    StrongSilent

I guess you have to first off decide which signal combinations you will want to achieve when in PnP mode - then you can plan what sort of 'Hub' arrangement you can employ.

A decent external Video Processor (no PnP mode) will cost you approx £800.00 - though keep in mind you can spend £100 - £150 per Input Boards for a PWD8 if you go down that route.

I find a lot of folk find it most useful to do PnP with a PC signal plus one Video signal - so if all the 'Video' signals go though an external Hub and into a single 'Input' on the Display that works pretty well.

Best regards

Joe