pwd8 - disappointing demo

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs Forum' started by shiresy, Mar 28, 2006.

1. shiresy

shiresy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    whilst out working today i "happened to pass" richer sounds and popped in for a look at some of the screens i have been reading about in mags and on this forum

i have done the whole pioneer pdp435 / panasonic pv500 / hitachi7200 thing and (from reading this forum) decided to check out the legendary panasonic pwd8 in the flesh to compare (especially cos i don't have sky hd)

what a let down. all the screens in richers look bad (dark & poor contrast) except for 3 -
    fuji p42hta51
    hitachi 7200
    another i can't remember

but these 3 were really bright and almost cartoon looking
    the pwd8 picture was dark and blacks looked grey and had no detail

i came away feeling that they were deliberatley pushing 3 screens and making the others look bad, but i have got to say the pwd8 didn't look particularly lo-res to me (compared to HD sets)

now i am confused - any comments / advice??

2. Mep

Mep

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +484
    did you get to see what they had connected and how and what settings they were using on the panny?

3. phillfyspoon

phillfyspoon
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +76
    you are right alot of other screens look BRIGHT this is percieved better so they SELL

The others are turned down to look dim and lifeless

in a real demo room which is dark and the screens are using the same connection etc you would find the panny has the blackest blacks availible on any plasma and it has the best non cartoon looking image

oh one more thing to add

I went to richer sounds to buy a PW6 and they said the hitachi was better (5200 at the time) and the pw6 did look awfull compared to the others which were not in ambient light and had bright images. The connection can make a brilliant plasma awfull and the panasonics dont fair well in ambient light

4. shiresy

shiresy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thanks for the replies

didn't see connections/settings cos they were quite busy (noticed how easy it is to 'blow away' the average punter with naff dvdsof fruit bowls and skiing shots)

they were playing 'lost in space' on all but the 3 mentioned - quite dark scenes thats why i noticed the blacks/greys

guess i need to go to a proper demo room

regarding sd vs hd would a good sd screen like the pwd8 be noticeably different to an average hd screen at real viewing distances??

5. Mep

Mep

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +484
    there is a difference between my sd and hd (with HD material via 360) but you do have to look for it at say 9 or 10 feet............and most people (i.e. non forumites) may not even notice....but I do.