PWD8 Arrived and Installed!

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs Forum' started by timiano, Mar 23, 2006.

1. timiano

timiano
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    After speaking to a nice lady at AV-Sales yesterday, she said that the charcoal PWD8s were out of stock, do you fancy a silver one?...I declined and she said she'd see what she could do. 10 minutes later, she calls back and tells me you'll have it all tomorrow.

Jean-Claude cables, wall mount and plasma all come through 3 separate couriers, but everything was here by 2pm. AV-Sales, you rock...oh and easily the most competitive price in the whole of the land. Got the AV forums special at £1080.

A quick pop down to the local DIY shop (DJ Southerns, nothing that he doesn't have) for 6 M8 heavy duty wall bolts, get the socket set out of the Rangey plus other tools, and we're off. 5 hours later, screen is up, sound is on and everything almost ready.

Power on,....ohhhh,....ahhhhh. Picture > Dynamic > Normal....ohhhh....ahhhh!!

SKY+ is connected via S-Video and it looks grand. A bit wishy washy on the start up screen, but nothing noticable really on the SKY menus, and broadcast is mint. Some channels are naff, but thats the channel. I did notice that Home and Away on ITV was razor sharp, which I can only think is shot on HD these days cos I was blown away. Chelsea vs Newcastle was good too. Artifacts are pretty much expected on the grass and the bleeding edges between the players and the pitch, plus the detail in the crowd when cameras are panning. It was as good as it gets though, bar the score.

I only got to try the XBOX through S-Video, literally lashed the cable in, as I didn't realise I'd need a set of RCA couplers for the XBOX HD cable to the Muscles from Brussels cable (doh!). I'll live. A quick jaunt to the local Maplins tomorrow should sort that. I'm keen to see what difference I may spot between S-Video and component.

Any way, I'm pleased with the install and the way it all looks on the chimney breast. Cables are going to be a pain in the ass in where the fireplace was, so I think a piece of MDF is going to go in there to hide the nasties.

More importantly, it passed the missus test, so I'm made up. Might run the DVE through it when I get the chance, but I'm elated already.

So, thanks for all your posts, in particular Horny Dragon, for getting me to this stage. Just gotta save some more to get a AV reciever and a decent set of speakers, although the Logitech Z680s are fine for the moment.

Cheers

Timiano

2. sbowler

sbowler

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +481
    Just hours of tweaking left. LOL Have fun.:D

3. HoTTdog

HoTTdog
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Timiano, congratulations on your purchase - I'm going down the same route soon (I've just got to get the new lounge decorated!) :thumbsup:

Did you get the tilting or fixed wall-mount from AV-Sales? How long were your M8 bolts?

4. jason44mag

jason44mag

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +46
    any chance of some pics when all sorted?

5. timiano

timiano
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    HoTTdog, I rebuilt the fireplace putting in a new lintel much lower so the screen would not be so high, so no need for a tilting bracket. I took the handles off when I mounted it cos it looks better. Mounted it on my own cos I'm nails (lol).

M8 bolts were 90mm which was a bit long, so I hack sawn to 60mm which was just right. Used a 14mm drill bit.

Timiano

Attached Files:

6. HoTTdog

HoTTdog
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Mint install mate - It's about the same height I'm going for. Aye, I'm going down the mounting-it-myself route so many thanks for the drill/bolt advice :smashin:

7. boksbox

boksbox

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +93
    One question I have about the PWD8 is does it do PIP and PAP? I have a Sony 36 CRT and would want to re-create the features with a flat panel.

8. timiano

timiano
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes and yes

9. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,218
    Glad your pleased Mate. Just get the audio sorted and your away!