1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PWD7 vertical lines in progressive component

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by Slimline, Jul 14, 2005.

1. Slimline

Slimline

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi, I've searched the forum but can't find an answer. I have a 42" PWD7 and a new Pioneer DV-585, connected via Van Damme component cables (which look awfully thin, by the way - is that normal?).

Yesterday I was watching Sopranos on Region 2 DVD. The player is set to output progressive. And the picture had a pattern of faint but clearly visible vertical lines, almost like a watermark across the whole screen. When I switched to interlaced, the lines were gone. I don't think I noticed that watching Donnie Darko on R1 DVD the day before.

Any ideas about what could be causing this? Is it a problem with the TV or the DVD player? One of the reasons I bought the 585 was for the progressive output...

Thanks in advance for any help!

2. Mep

Mep

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +472
    firstly, yes your van damme cable is normal...secondly whilst I don't know what the cause of teh problem is it is highly likely that the pdw7 will do the prog scan better than your dvd player anyway so best leave it outputting interlaced and leave teh rest to the panny

3. Slimline

Slimline

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks, mep - reassured on the cables!

I had actually read on these forums that a decent (ie not necessarily high-end or super-expensive) DVD scaler would do a better job than the Panny with progressive output. Certainly on interlaced there seems to be more of a black crush?

Anybody else have any thoguhts on what the problem might be? Is this what they call "banding"?

4. gizlaroc

gizlaroc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +646
    That doesn't sound right and it sounds like a cable that is giving you banding because it can't handle the resolution, but it must be really poor not to handle progressive!

5. Slimline

Slimline

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Really? It's only 480p, hardly hi rez... Surely if it's a cable problem then it must be a faulty cable, since I bought the Van Damme (for a fair whack of cash) on the strength of general opinion that they are superior quality cable. Is that wrong? I thought they were as close as you could get to Belden in the UK...

6. Mep

Mep

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +472
    i use them for both component and vga and they are very good..so faulty is possible but quality is typically high

7. Slimline

Slimline

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Any ideas how I might be able to test whether the cable is faulty? Short of buying another one?

8. gizlaroc

gizlaroc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +646
    I have to say that the Van Damme RGBhv cales with 75ohm crimped BNCs on it gives a worse picture than the 5 metre component cable I got out of maplin for under a tenner, when both in YUV mode obviously.

But the point was it sounds just like a cable problem. Stick a cheap phono cable on the component outs and see if it changes anything.

9. Slimline

Slimline

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Unfortunately the plasma end of the connection is BNC, so I don't really have any substitute cables I can try. Perhaps I'd better head down to Maplin's...

10. gizlaroc

gizlaroc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +646
    The fact it is ok when in interlaced mode means either the cable is useless or the player in knackered, the only other thing it could be is the screen, but I doubt it.

11. Slimline

Slimline

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    OK, so I've narrowed it down to either being (a) the DVD player, (b) the cable or (c) the screen. Great. I'll just replace those three and see if the problem goes away.

Serriously, is there any way of trouble-shooting this, without going out and buying a replacement cable and another DVD player?

12. Mep

Mep

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +472
    where are you?..a nearby member may be able to help with a cable loan?

13. Slimline

Slimline

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    That's a thought! And a generous one. I live on Old Street, in central London.

Before I start asking people to inconvenience themselves, though, I wonder whether there are any settings I could try to change on the TV or the DVD player. I'll trawl through the manuals tonight, if I ever get home from work, but I did cycle through all the settings I could think of yesterday and to no avail...

I suppose nobody out there has had (and found a cure for) this problem themselves?

14. Mep

Mep

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +472
    used to work in Old Street.

15. Slimline

Slimline

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Nice area. I use the bass rumble of traffic through the walls in place of a subwoofer...

16. Mep

Mep

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +472
    :).....sounds about right...I used to work in a building called Finsgate opposite the hospital

17. Slimline

Slimline

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    OK, I've tried a couple of DVDs, and I only get these lines when playing a PAL DVD. All my US (NTSC R1) discs play without a trace of the watermark. Wouldn't that seem to rule out the cable?

Also, the lines appear in the lighter sections of the picture only.

Anybody got any more ideas about what it could be? :lease:

Thanks!

18. gizlaroc

gizlaroc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +646
    Sounds more like a problem with the player.