PWD7 set-up

B

BlueBarry

Hi

While I'm not bad techy-wise I've trawled the forums and am getting myself a little tied up on buying a Panasonic PWD7 and home cinema set-up. So at the risk of being flamed or told to search the forums some more, I'd be grateful for a little advice!

Just got married and moving into a new place, so have no gear and am absolutely starting from scratch. I flirted with DLP for a little bit, seduced by HD etc, but budget and other factors have led me back to good ol' Plasma. Need my set-up to come in at about £1500 complete to keep the missus sweet, so this has led me to the inevitable choice - Pana PWD7.

Richer Sounds have it at £999 (with optional 3yr cover at a further £99) so I'd probably go for that, though this doesn't include the pedestal stand I don't think. It seems to have gone quiet with the MAW Power buy deal above but if anyone knows of a better deal to Richer's, it would be appreciated.

We will need to connect up Sky (though it may be Freeview at first until finances allow!), DVD player/sound system, video recorder and PS2.

What boards/leads will I require to connect all these for optimal PQ?

Also, can anyone also recommend a decent, relatively inexpensive DVD player and sound system, and the connections I'll require for those.

Cheapest sources for all this gear would be appreciated as well.

Many thanks
Barry

simplest method will be a panel with scart board (AV-sales will probably do a deal on panel and board with mount) then a Pio VCXS402 scart swictching AMP and canton CD1 just over your £1500 target price.
for optimal PQ you could add a JS RGB>VGA converter for STB
OR get an amp with component switching and up conversion from Composite connect DVD and PS2 to AMP via component and VCR composite and get a FV box with Component out Netgem or Mustek conneted to AMP like DVD and PS2

There are hundreds of ways to do this if budget is really tight there are cheaper options

Thanks hornydragon, cost really is the issue!

As the place has already been decorated, I may not be able to have a surround sound system at first (not ideal but getting agreement on the Plasma has been a big enough ordeal!). Still discussing it but what would be my best option for front speakers only (cost considering)? The Panasonic plasma ones in AV Sales look expensive to me. Would the Pio amp still be the best option?

Also, can you recommend a decent DVD player at £100-150 and the best way to connect this to the panel picture-wise?

Cheers!
Barry

the_sanguine said:
Barry,

Check this out: http://www.digisaurus.co.uk/site/product.asp?section=3&cat=5&sub=9&prod=143

I ordered yesterday afternoon and it all arrived this morning.

Just so you know that offer is for a European model not a UK model!

for minimal cost you end up going in circles if you were wall mounting i would have an ideal solution but PWD7 + stand +pair of speakers (canton CD50 are ideal if wall mounting CD310f could be used tho may look a bit odd) +dual slot board + Panny DVD recorder (£150) set top box (£80) and connect STB>DVDR to component on plasma PS2> S-video and that way you have stereo sound just like a telly and it all connected for using AV-sales prices £1300 for screen mount and board add to this panny ES10 or E55 £150+ and a pair of speakers 2 canton CD50 would be £176 from JJ so add £75 for cables you are in at £1600 total (excluding STB which sky do free!)

the_sanguine,

Might be stupid question but exactly what was bought, there doesn't appear to much detail on the page, as to dvd recorder type ect, though I really wouldn't expect a panasonic one. Did you also order a stand/wall mount

i also note that there is free delivery, really interested in this although I have never heard of the company.

Any info would be much appreciated. Been contemplating this panel for ages

Paul W

i have seen the same deal at 121 electricals without the dvd recorder for £979 is that the european model as well

I've not unpacked it all yet. I'm waiting for the wall mount which my brother in law's getting me.

The DVD is a yamada 8000. I don't know anything about it but they're on Ebay for about £150. I think WH smith sell them online too.

Thanks for your help HornyDragon, gonna go for the PW7 and spending £1500-1600 for the lot has been cleared with the missus.

Surround speakers look like a non-starter at the moment so front speakers will have to suffice. 2x Canton CD50s from your man JJ sound like my best bet. Also getting Sky+ straight away (woohoo!) and now have njo need to connect a video recorder. For a DVD player will probably plump for one of the Pannys suggested.

So - just to confirm (as I need it spelled out!) - the best way to connect the Sky+/DVD/PS2 for picture quality I need:

Scart board for PW7
VCXS402 scart switching AMP (where is best to get this?)
JS RGB>VGA converter

Which brand of leads are best to hook all this gear together? Where is cheapest to get these?

Cheers
B

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom