PWD7 Price Drop!!!!

Hey don't shoot the messenger!!! I know that AV-Sales are always at the top of the list. Its just at the moment I spend so much time mooching in the deepest far flung corners of the internet looking for that extra one or two hundred quid off that will finally push me into buying my first plasma. Just reporting whats out there so hopefully someone else won't have to waste all their time!! Deep down I know that whichever set I go for will probably come from AV Sales!!

One or two hundred!!! You must be joking, the margins are so tight you'll be lucky to get a richer sounds lollipop.

:rotfl:

True enough MAW. I just need the final push to dig out the credit card!! Hopefully that will come with the reviews of the PV500

Slightly off-topic, I know, but I just happened *cough* to be in the big John Lewis store in High Wycombe this afternoon (can't imagine how that happened) and wandered over to the electricals section.
eyebrow1qb.gif

They had three plasmas side by side, running Monsters Inc off a split feed from a Pioneer DVD player. I think all 3 were taking an RGB scart feed. It was the Hitachi 7200, the Pio 435 (if I've remembered the right model name after a glass of wine) and the Panny PE50 (the new 42in Viera).

Ok, I was standing about 3 feet away from the screens rather than a more sane 10 feet away but initially, I thought I preferred the Pio because it looked a little brighter and sharper. After a few moments, I started to warm (pun intended) to the Panny because it blended things together better - the fur on Sully looked more like a real mass of fur, rather than lots of individually highlighted hairs which is how the Pio showed them - a little too sharp.

If I'm honest, I didn't spend much time looking at the Hitachi, but it looked reasonable, but not £1K better than the PE50.

For some reason, someone asked for the Panny to be switched over to the snooker which a number of other screens were showing, including the LG 42PX11. I was very disappointed with this - lots of ghosting around objects in front of the green baize of the snooker table (balls, players etc). I don't know how the LG and Panny were set up to receive the TV signal (or what it was coming from, but I assume digital not analogue, since it had the interactive option onscreen)

Rest assured that this is not the only visual testing of plasmas I intend to do before I buy, but it was a very instructive first pass. Since what I'm actually looking to buy is the PWD7, can anyone comment on how it compares to the PE50, before I jump to too many conclusions.

I just saved up. Bought this last week. Delivered Friday. And now...
Its cheaper.

Doh.

c'est la vie mon ami....so long as you are happy with it...

Mep,

Plasma Friday morning,
Sky installed Saturday morning,
Plasma on the wall saturday afternoon.
Trying to work out how to work my new DMRE85 all weekend.

Plasma looks great.
I just need a new wardrobe for all the remotes and a forklift to move the old sony 32 wide screen out of the corner.

Oh and I think I need one of these RGB->VGA efforts as well, at the moment everything is going through DMRe85 to componenet board.
thats next weekend sorted out then.

:) all good fun mate!......and I found the js gave better results...although component through the e55 was pretty good too

mep

I agree, the sky picture is fine through the DMR85 but I only got pikey sky, not sky+, so, at the moment, I can't record something and watch something else

well the js is perfect then....you should notice quite a difference

hornydragon,
Wife's birthday coming up ...Single remote, she'll love it.
An excellent idea.

I've tried to find some detailed specs on the panny pv500, but can't find any... i've looked onto the USA panny website at there HD plasma's which i understand will be the same as the UK PV500 and it appears that 720p will only be supported on the PC input not the hdmi input! :eek:

Not so, not for the UK model. Panasonic are well aware that this would be commercial suicide. Also, such a move would take the set outside the HDMI 1.1 specification, which they helped write. How dumb would that be?

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom