1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PWD7 PQ issues

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by Tim-Ann, May 28, 2005.

1. Tim-Ann

Tim-Ann

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +99
    Hi there,

I have TX-36PD50’s and bought a 42PW7BX, with a JS Scart to VGA but found the PQ of the Plasma not as good as our CRT’s and there were lip-sync issues so we’ve swapped the 42PW7 for a 37PWD7B and connected it to Sky+ via the JS Scart to VGA we’ve now sat the Plasma next to the CRT and still the PQ of the Plasma is nowhere near that of the CRT. The PWD7 has run for 600 hours.

Any thoughts on how I can improve this as I would like a wall mounted Plasma in one of our rooms? The difference in PQ is that the CRT seems brighter, sharper and the colours are more vibrant than on the Plasma the Plasma seems warm although all the settings on both units are set at the same wherever this is possible.

I haven’t hooked up speakers yet and hope I’m not going to be plagued with the lip-sync issues that we saw on the 42” Plasma.

Please bear in mind this is only running Sky+ through the JS Scart to VGA I’ve not experimented with the DVD via component in yet.

My only alternative after this is to buy one of the newer 37PV500’s but I don’t particularly want to run into the same or similar problems.

Any help or guidance would be most welcome, Tim.

2. Mep

Mep

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +474
    is it a case of brighter and vibrant versus more realistic?...if you put the panny in dynamic mode it will be much brighter but not very true

3. Tim-Ann

Tim-Ann

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +99
    Hi there,

No not really for us the green grass at the golf at Wentworth looked real as did peoples faces on the CRT, not so on the Plasma the grass and people’s faces look paler and slightly washed out.

We have noticed the Dynamic setting on the PWD7 and you’re right it does slightly increase the brightness but it still gets nowhere near the CRT which is in ‘normal’ mode.

Would it be worth having the PWD7 calibrated or should I try the PV500 or as I’m now inclined to stick to our CRT’s the only issue is that we can’t wall mount a 36” CRT.

Many thanks, Tim.

4. pjclark1

pjclark1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +271
    Plasmas are not the same as CRT, you have to learn to watch it, and in a darker room than you have been used to.
    I can't stand the nasty bright, noisy crawly picture from a CRT now I have got used to viewing a plasma.

5. Mep

Mep

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +474
    calibration is definitely money well spent IMHO (and i get the impression cost wont be an issue anyway)........Piers is your man for the job. It will get all the colours and teh contrast properly set

6. Tim-Ann

Tim-Ann

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +99
    Hi there,

Update after watching side by side for a while longer I have noticed that Sky banners and even the red dot are a lot clearer and sharper on the Plasma than the CRT but it seems to be that the whites are whiter on the CRT.

So I think I might as well have the ISF calibration done how do I contact Piers and does he come ‘up north’ or will I need to send the Plasma to him?

Now next to hook up the speakers and hopefully no lip-sync issues?

Many thanks for all you input, Tim.

7. Piers

Piers

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +227
    Tim,

I have been following your plasma purchase thread with interest. Forum rules prevent me from "selling my services" but if you email me (details in my sig below) I can help.

8. Tim-Ann

Tim-Ann

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +99
    Hi there,

Hope I'm allowed to do this, I've filled in one of your web forms.

Tim.