1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PWD7 on PC input - image stretch

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by Slimline, Jun 21, 2005.

1. Slimline

Slimline

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi, I've tried searching the forum for an answer but can't find anything, though I'm sure this must have been addressed before.

I managed to coax my laptop into outputting an analogue 800x600 desktop to my new PWD7 (via VGA) and it fills the screen. Slightly odd, as the desktop has a 4:3 ratio, and the plasma itself is 16:9 - but the plasma's pixels are, I believe, oblong so that the pixel array is actually 4:3. And what seems to be happening is that the square pixels from the PC are mapped 1:1 onto the rectangular pixels of the plasma, giving a horizontally stretched image.

Why am I bothered about this? Because I wanted to play video footage from my PC onto the plasma via VGA. But the footage comes out stretched.

Question is, am I doing something wrong? Is there a way to feed a video image from the PC into the plasma and have it display properly? I have an nVidia GeForce Go 4-series card, if that's any help.

Thanks for any replies!

2. vileda

vileda
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Maybe I've missed the point of this post, but you could try and change to 4:3 using the aspect button on the remote.

3. greyhorse

greyhorse
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    update your driver for new geforce and it will come with some nice wide screen settings built in.

Then change your display to 1280 x 768 is a common size on the geforce chip. :)

4. Usern4me

Usern4me

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Slimline,

It also happens if you use a 1024x768 plasma. If you use a player like TheaterTek on your pc, you can adjust your aspect ratio by stretching the image vertically until you correct it. I don't remember if the more common PowerDVD also has that type of adjustment.

*If* your plasma accepts it, you can also try to choose a typical "hdtv" resolution on your desktop, like 1280x720 (720p). Your plasma will not be running at it's native resolution (it sucks when you want to use the windows desktop) but it's then scaled by the plasma to it's native res and maintains the 16:9 aspect ratio you want.

5. Slimline

Slimline

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for all the advice. I tried running the image out at my laptop's native resolution (1920x1200) but the panel didn't do a great job of scaling that - bits of the desktop were off the screen. Sounds like updating the video driver might be the most promising lead - I'll see whether there's a new driver that offers a widescreen setting the same size as the panel. Failing that I'll use the lowest rez widescreen setting and see whether the panel can cope any better with resizing that.

If I change aspect ratio to 4:3, won't I get black bars on the sides of the screen?

6. chedmaster

chedmaster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    pwd7's native res is 852x480 is it not? this is widescreen, therefore square pixels, so 800x600 will have to be squashed horizontally - and it is not 1:1 pixel mapping? The latest geforce drivers allow you to pick any resolution.

apologies if its not 852x480 - but im pretty sure it is.

update: it is 852x480 which is 16:9 (+/- 1 pixel), so pixels are defo square, so aim for 1:1 mapping and it shouldnt be stretched.

7. Slimline

Slimline

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Chedmaster, I am an idiot - tired and lazy, sorry.

I updated the driver, which provided a much more user-friendly interface, and managed to output 1280x760 (or something like it) to the plasma for a perfect picture.

Now the only problem is that there's no ability to adjust colour settings on the plasma through VGA, and the picture is pretty over-saturated. My version of PowerDVD doesn't seem to have any controls for adjusting saturation and hue - perhaps I need to upgrade. Otherwise I'll be using WMP, which I would obviously prefer to avoid. Ah well, back to the drawing board. Overall it worked out (I also got the sound into my amp over SPDIF after a fair bit of fiddling), so thanks for all the advice!

8. chedmaster

chedmaster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    dont be sorry we're all here to help! also i think theres extensive colour adjustment in the nvidia control panel, you could adjust that.

9. Slimline

Slimline

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You're right, but the colour on the lappy is pretty much fine - it's just the VGA output that's out of whack. I wonder if the nVidia offers a series of profiles, so I could set one up for video playback and revert to the normal profile at other times. I'll have a look tonight...