1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

pwd7 help!!!!!

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by elsemm, Feb 18, 2005.

1. elsemm

elsemm

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have an ARCAM AVR300 amp, Sky+ & pan pwd7 plasma tv. Whats the best way to connect all this together? I was told RGB+SYNC from the sky box to the amp, then RGB+SYNC to the Plasma component/RGB input. Problem is I'm not sure the component/RGB input takes a SYNC input. These are the sockets available on my input board which is a Panasonic TH-42TM6Y:- G / B / R / HD / VD / AUDIO L / AUDIO R / AV VID OUT / AV VID IN / S-VID IN / AUDIO R / AUDIO L.
    Does anyone know how I can connect using RGB+SYNC. If not, what other ways should I connect my gear?

This is driving me crazy - can anyone help.......

2. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
  3. elsemm

elsemm

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Would ideally like to connect sky thru the AMP because I have PS2/VCR etc plugged into the amp. Then I would only have one set of cables from amp to plasma. Might add a DVD player later and would use a DVI or HDMI direct to the plasma. 4 BNC to plasma (from the amp) is what I want, but the plasma's input board has five BNC sockets - R,G,B, + HD & VD. Do you know if the HD/VD inputs are the sync part of all this? If so, I wonder if I could get a cable made thats single RCA from the amp that splits into two BNC...............

I'm trying to minimise the amount of cables going into the plasma as I'm going to bury them in the wall.

4. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    what you are trying to do either needs more hardware or more thought if you have a spare component input on amp the a JS RGB>YUV converter may be the answer and feed Component YUV into screen (can be done via the RGBHV board you have)

5. frank-g

frank-g
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just ordered a PWD7 myself yesterday from av-sales. Bit of a rush job as friend buying my crt said will have in 2 weeks then suddenly "I'll be round saturday". So got lazy and ordered PWD7, scart terminal board and quintro+ RGB switch box. The kit I already have is:
    DVD: Toshiba SD 220E
    Digital Receiver: Fusion FVRT100
    Video recorder: JVC (rarely used as now record on Fusion hard disk)
    Amp: Yamaha RX-V 795
    Have I been too lazy and should change the connections before it's to late?

For the time being I will connect direct to my Teufel front speakers for sound, as don't really want to have amp and full surround sound when just watching TV. Any speaker advise, had thought of buying PWD7 speakers but would it be better to spend that money on other speakers?

6. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    frank sounds ideal

Personally i think having an AMP and decent speaker as welll as TV speakers is a waste of time.........just run AMP in stereo for TV

7. elsemm

elsemm

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Agree with hornydragon. I use my AV amp + 6 speakers to watch tv/films/PS2 etc. I would not entertain the idea of speakers for the panny.
    A decent centre speaker is a must for good dialogue.
    As for connections, RGB appears the way to go with the pwd7, or for the SD220, component if it has these outputs and of course you would have to have a component terminal board on yr panny.

8. frank-g

frank-g
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for your advice, much appreciated. I have been reading loads of diffrent threads and it gets a bit daunting in the end.

I do have Fusion box connected to amp (have read some of the threads on the fusion and I have found it to be great, the quality of the picture is brilliant. Find it a bit annoying that you can't set up multiple recording for a series but understand that that is being updated soon).

With regards speakers, I purchased my Teufel speakers when I was living in Berlin, had very good reviews. At the time (6-7 years ago now) all I could afford was a passive subwoofer not active. Any advice in that area?

I will have to check through some of the threads regarding settings for the first 200 hours. Is this fact or fiction??

9. elsemm

elsemm

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Active sub if you can - I've got a REL STRATA 3 which is superb, though a bit large. All REL subs are well reviewed - and they are a lot smaller now than they used to be. Don't know much about other manufacterers. Not familiar with yr Fusion box.

10. frank-g

frank-g
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for advice on sub will look in to it. Have been checking out the running in for 200 hours. As I haven't recieved my screen yet don't know what is meant by the contrast and brightness settings.
    Have seen remarks about Digital Video Essentials disc. Firstly is it worth getting?
    Is this worth getting to help with setup during running in period or only use it when run in?

11. frank-g

frank-g
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Oh, the Fusion is a freeview digital receiver with 40gig hard drive to record on, Fusions web site is - www.fusiondigitec.com. It has twin receivers so can record one prog and watch another. You can pause and rewind live TV - automatically records last 30 minutes of what you are watching.