1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PWD7 and scaler or new Viera

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by blzbob, Mar 25, 2005.

1. blzbob

blzbob
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just when I had convinced myself of PWD7 and iscan HD+, av-sales appear to have stock of G8 vieras next week. Want to order next week before my gf spends it on spare room wardrobes.

I will watch 99% SKY+ with the occasional DVD and so picture quality on normal SKY+ viewing is most important (I have seen footie problems /motion judder in shops but strangely in pubs it always seems ok - this may be alcohol related - but despite best efforts I can't maintain this state all the time).

Not having considered vieras before, I can afford the Pe50, PV500 if I ditch the scaler (or defer purchase of one).

I would like to be HD ready (which all three allow), and would quite like the kudos of the latest bit of kit but don't want to have to put up with annoying jaggies etc. or motion judder while i save up for a scaler/ISF on the viera or put up with lower contrast/poorer sky+ to allow the best possible picture(HD).

I was going to have a quintro scart to a JS RGB to component thingy to plasma and a DVI connection at some point

So which should I go for what issues should I think about:-
    1. PWD7 plus iscan HD+ scaler - No further upgrade options but can get various connection cards (DVI and VGA component were advice)
    2. Viera PE50B - Are there issues with connections. What will be the ups and downs vs above. WIll a scaler work with this?
    3. Viera PV500 - Now this may seem the best, but I am worried about contrast and whether it works as well with current SKY broadcasts (because I read SD is better for current sky on a thread) somwehere.

ALso MAW if you are about, can you reply to the PM. Ta

2. braveknight

braveknight

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Have you actually seen a HD panel being fed with a standard resolution source? I know the scaling can be improved on, but most people (not the small number of obsessive freaks) would probably say that the HD panel is acceptable without the help of an additional scaler, even if they do see it is a worthwhile upgrade.

For me, the PV500 is by far the best of the above options. Even if you aren't that happy with the unassisted performance, as long as you can stand to live with it for a couple of months, as you say you can always add a scaler later.

3. zAndy1

zAndy1
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,953
    I think that date is a mistake, late May/early June is the expected date for the HD viera

Andy

4. blzbob

blzbob
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ta for quick responses.

Have to buy soon (20" 4:3 telly just isnt cutting it) so if the date for HD viera is wrong this will rule it out.

On HD panels, I haven't seen a properly set up one in a comparison hence question, I like panasonic SD panels. What I am interested in is what the scaling issues cause. If its judder or lip-synch I can't cope. If it is a little bit of the screen missing or something that else you don't notice in normal viewing I can put up with it if there is enough upside.

Any connectivity issues with Vieras vs panels? ie what will I lose by going for viera vs panel (I thought it was saving money for things I didnt need when I looked before but are there any downsides)

5. zAndy1

zAndy1
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,953
    Well the TH42PE50 doesn't have a DVI or HDMI input so it's not really HD ready and you're stuck with VGA, RGB scart, S-Video or component video. This is fine for current dvd players and Sky but you might struggle to connect a HD-DVD player or Sky HD box to it (Sky HD might have component out but not definitely confirmed). Once I saw the lack of DVI or HDMI input on the PE50 that was a showstopper for me. With you saying you want it to be HD ready that kind of rules out the PE50 too to be honest which currently only leaves you with the PWD7 and scaler option (or the PHD7 panel and add a scaler later if need be). I don't think the scaler is necessary with the SD PWD7 panel to be honest, the picture is fine using something like a John Sim RGB to VGA convertor. If you've got a component board for the PWD7 then just use that for your DVD playback and trust me you'll be pleasantly surprised at the results. A PHD7 panel is more HD ready in that it's higher resolution but it's HDMI board won't take a 50hz signal at it's native resolution, hence if you go for that option you may need to add a scaler later to convert Sky HDs 50hz output to 60hz which should then work ok (this may introduce judder though which you already said you don't want to put up with). Difficult one at the moment as you can see... Personally I'd wait for the HD viera as it's HD ready and will take a 50hz and 60hz HD signal.... it's only a few weeks away now

Andy.

6. dilsher

dilsher

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes it si - but the eagerly awaited and talked about herte new 40 series Plasma ius arrivng now into the UK and suppsedly is THE one with future proofing and 50hz comatibility at HD ..Im getting one now.

Dil

7. zAndy1

zAndy1
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,953
    ?

8. blzbob

blzbob
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I think dil was getting too excited by the new panny!

So no DVI/HDMI or possibility of component boards rules out pe50 if I ever want HD (In reality I could probably cope, but I am not brave enough), I just assumed they would have put a DVI connector in a new plasma. :rolleyes:

I can probably wait until end of April (due to a weeks holiday) for the G8 HD Viera. If we get confirmation it isnt coming until later I will go for the PWD7 plus scaler option.

May put a hopeful order into av-sales in case they do have some stock appearing on the 28th.

Thanks