1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PWD7 and powerstrip

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by Alexg, Jun 11, 2005.

1. Alexg

Alexg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Guys,

Having a bit of a problem getting powerstrip to output 852480 as the correct resolution for my plasma - it keeps saying it cannot get information from the plasma screen.

What am I doint wrong? :)

Thanks.

2. Alexg

Alexg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Anyone??

3. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    pannys prefer 1280x720 mate try that....

4. Alexg

Alexg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes, but the native res of the plasma is 852x480, trying to get better quality by 1.1 pixel mapping!

5. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    you will get better with the panel down scaling...............

6. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    The point of powerstrip is that it puts you in charge. Is this a secondary display, or primary on a HCPC? I have sulks with my laptop when trying to set the res for a secondary display sometimes, but never had any such message from a primary. Set up a custom res, restart and select it, simple as that usually.

7. codlord

codlord

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    When I was doing mine (not PW7, an older Panny but same 852x480 native res) I had two problems:

1 - My oldish graphics card would only support resolutions that were divisible by 8! So it simply would not do 852 so I had to do 848x480 as it was the closest I could get.

2 - I had to configure a custom monitor setup file. I cannot remember exactly how this is done in powerstrip so you will have to look at the docs. Basically you use the specifications in the plasma manual to create a monitor definition file for the plasma, then in windows you can select your plasma from the list of monitors and it then knows all it's capabilities/refresh rates etc.

More recent (nvidia anyway) graphics cards seem to have plasma resolutions pre-defined and a lot of the features powerstrip had so I have now done away with powerstrip altogether with my new PC.

8. Alexg

Alexg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

Many thanks for that, I did see that tab for setting up a custom monitor so I will take a look at that later on.

Is HD right about letting the plasma down scale for better results? I was always told that it is much more preferable to give the display device its native resolution from the source?!

9. codlord

codlord

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Actual on-screen quality wise you are always better off with the native res, but in actual usability terms a higher res with the plasma scaling is often preferable. 852x480 is a very low res especially nowadays and you will find you will struggle with a lot of apps and websites in that res - there just simply is not enough space to display stuff.

Depends on what you want to do with it. Personally I use mine mainly for an MP3 jukebox so the native res is fine for displaying Winamp and doing visulisations etc. Even "just about" ok for a little bit of web surfing if you go full-screen with the browser. However, if I want to do anything else or a proper surf I switch to 1024x768 mode. Not quite as good quality but with the right font settings its mostly readable. Graphics drivers or powerstrip have options for quickly switching resolutions so this is no prob.

(but as HD says 1280x720 may be the better high res mode to go for).