PWD6 switch off or on standby?

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs Forum' started by Gaspode, Nov 5, 2004.

1. Gaspode

Gaspode

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    pretty much as the thread suggests...is it best to leave it on standby or turn off altogether overnight?

btw - a massive shout out to AV-Sales - superb service indeed, I could not be more delighted with both my panny and their help throughout. :clap:

2. 3ill

3ill
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Bump.. Just got my PWD6 yesterday (great plasma BTW) woke up this morning and realised that I left it on standby rather than physically turning it off, would love to know what the best practice for this is.

3. YOUWIN

YOUWIN

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    lo all,

i have a question, sort of relating to this also.

I currently have a 36 inch Panny PL30 crt. When the tv is switched on, (either from standby or main switch) the TV does not "remember" the last channel that was used. I only ose sky+, which is obviously connected on a AV channel. This is a problem because my 4 year old sometimes gets up very early, then screams up the stairs, waking me + the missus up because he turns the TV on and only gets snow - the tv always comes on on channel 1.
    As there is no ariel connected, i have no terrestial analogue signals going to it, hence the snow.

I am gonna get a PWD6 very soon from AV-sales and was wondering what happens when the plasma is switched on, does it revert to the last AV input that was used before the plasma was switched off, or do you have to cycle through the AV inputs, from the same initial one each time?

I hope that makes sense :eek:

4. guli

guli
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i rather keep it on standby

It only consume <1W anyway

Alex

5. Arcangel

Arcangel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It stays on the last input used :) . I also switch mine OFF rather than leave it on STANDBY.

6. Doctorb

Doctorb
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Switch it off, dont use standby unless its for a short period of time, two reasons;
    1, If its a crt some sets wont degausse.
    and more importantly-
    2, Leaving a tv set in standby is a potential fire hazard, especially if you get the remote stuck down the sofa emitting a constant power on/off signal.

7. Uzey

Uzey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Purists would argue that it isn't good for the circuitry to keep 'hard' powering on and off. My Hi-Fi buff mate leaves all his kit permanantly ON (not even in standby).

8. pjclark1

pjclark1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +271
    why not tune in channel 1 to the sky+ uhf output
    then the kiddie will always be happy

Had my PWD6 1 month, and always leave in standby
    Had my Philips 32" widescreen CRT 10 years, never switched off, always standby, still working.

9. Doctorb

Doctorb
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Well if the thought of the chance of your house going up in fire is not incentive enough, then i dont know what is.
    Its amazing that people think their 'unlucky' when electrical items break down, i get a lot of service calls to faulty equipment where it could of been prevented.

10. Doctorb

Doctorb
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1

Some panasonics, ( sorry can't remember the model ) blow the internal fuse if powered up after being kept in standby for a long period of time.

11. 888

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    This is silly.

Most TV's now days do not have a true power switch i.e. the ON/OFF switch is not connected directly to the mains. It is a low power DC ON/OFF switch so there is always power flowing into the TV as long as it is plugged into the wall. There really isn't much difference in leaving it in standby and pressing the ON/OFF to leave it in the off position.

If you want to save power or are concerned about having current flowing in the TV while you are a sleep then PULL OUT THE PLUG. But at the same time don't forget to unplug the fridge, central heating etc etc.

I've had a Panasonic CRT TV for 9 years and leave it in standby everynight. I'll turn it OFF on the front panel if I'm away for a couple of days and only plug from the mains when I go away from more than a week. I now do the same for my plasma.

If the TV ON/OFF switch was directly fed from the mans it would probably be worst turning it ON/OFF everytime (instead of leaving it in standby) because of the IN RUSH CURRENT when the mains electricity first flows into the TV! There are international standards for measuring this sort of thing!

Of course there are genuie equipment failures which may happen at any time due to design problems or just a bad components. This cannot be helped. If it is a bad component it will generally fail early it is operating life rather than later. Again manufacturers test for this sort of stuff. It's called accelerated testing.

Don't beleive in old housewife tales.

Best advice buy from JL with 5 yr warranty.

:)

12. Tony8377

Tony8377

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Leaving a Plasma on standby 24 hours a day will double your electricity bill compared with turning off the power switch and only having it on 4 hours a day. Lets face it how much effort is it to turn off the main switch and it can only help the environment.

It is true however that the initial power burst of pressing the power button is the thing that is most likely to break any piece of electrical equipment. How many people have had an electrical item break down during use. If you think back I'm fairly sure you will all remember that most items break down when you try and turn them on and not during use. Therefore if you never have to turn it on it will never break (nice theory anyway :D ).

Plasmas don't have a long warm up period. Earlier comparison is referring to certain hifi products like Densen CD Players and Amps which are specifically designed to be permanently on (not just on standby) and will sound significantly better after 24 hours (my old Densen Amp used to sound significantly better after 24 hours of being on). I also wouldn't recommend leaving Grade A amps on all the time - thats a lot of heat being produced 24 hours a day.

13. guli

guli
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Leaving a plasma on standby 24 hours a day WILL NOT double your electricity bill.

It consumes 1W p hour - what's 1W extra to say a fridge that's left on running 24/7. Having a less than efficient fridge (old) would have made much more of a difference.

Just leave it on standby.

If you're worried about fire hazard, make sure to plug the plug out of the wall socket - that's the only save way. If lightning strikes connected electrical appliance, there is a big possibility it'll still fry it if its connected to the wall socket

Alex

14. Dean

Dean

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +280
    Agree completely with this, my marantz amp has been on constantly for 6 years bar a few holidays! For HIFi the benefits are to keep the circuitary at optimum temperatures all the time and also keeping turning on/off components may contribute to faults in the circuitary (like a light bulb blowing as a loose analogy).

15. Shahel

Shahel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    pw6 operating book states that

unit uses 0.8W in stand-by and 0.6W in Power-off so i dont see much of a difference with it being on stand-by or off i leave it on stand-by overnight

16. FaxFan2002

FaxFan2002

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +165
    personal preference I guess - I have the habit of switching off at the switch for both the AMP and TV. Putting it in standby sometimes is girlfried confusing.... (either one or the other).

17. Doctorb

Doctorb
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Im not sure about power saving advantages of leaving a set in standby, poss minimal. But its a true hard fact that most house fires caused by a telly going up in flames is because it was left in standby, it may not have been a fault with the tv itself- could be power surge or lightning strike, if the set is off by mains or front power switch there is hardly any chance of this happening.

By coincidence, today i had a call to a customer who is a fireman and he insists on switching his tv off at the mains switch, over cautious? I know who i would trust.
    Any Firemen out there who could put this one to bed once and for all?

18. media

media

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  19. 888

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    More old housewife tales. Most house fires are caused by out of control chip pan fires or cigarettes ends.

Electrical equipment is always designed and tested for 2 levels of hazard protection. So if the primary protection fails there is still one level remaining.

There must be more engineers on this forum than just me.

20. CARLOS

CARLOS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,413
    Just flicking a switch isn`t going to protect anything from lightening striking.

If this is the case would you also recommend power the VCR down every night aswell ?? :rolleyes:

I leave my Plasma in standby unless i`m going away for more than a few days then i power it off completely.

21. Gaspode

Gaspode

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    right - thanks guys.
    the general opinion is that standby is fine so I will continue to do that - same for my AV Receiver.

G

22. Uzey

Uzey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Electricity is sh*t cheap anyhow. It's preserving our precious equipment that is the argument here. When I finally finish decorating my front room and install my spanky new Fujitsu plasma, I think I'll leave it on standby rather than mains off.

23. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,218
    any electrical item is mostly likely to fail at power-up or down and most items are designed to be left in standby for long periods. SOme are designed not be unplugged from mains (do you want to have to put the pin code in every morning?

24. Doctorb

Doctorb
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1

I meant fires which the root cause was the tv going up in flames.
    I think its very irresponsible for people to weigh up a topic based on their own recommendations on damage to their equipment which, may or may not be true, depending on the make or model, rather than the general safety benefits of not leaving a tv set in standby.
    Ok here are some good reasons why, these are true cases which i have experienced as an engineer for insurance inspections and believe it or not..general breakdown claims.

1, Got pets? well i can remember numerous occasions were a cat has knocked over a plantpot/vase with water in it and has short circuited the pcb and resulted in a fire. The tv's which caught fire where left in standby and the others were just write offs. Luckily these people were in the house at the time but for the people that where out? ... well i cant inspect a tv when there is no tv or house to inspect so i dont see them.
    Not silly enough to put water near a tv? i have seen pcb's soaken in cats pee.
    2, Got kids? Numerous examples again of toddlers of accidently spilling juice into the top vents of a tv, or like above, knocking a water filled vase over.
    Standby transformers are not waterproof as far as i know.
    Or how about the kiddie trying to climb the tv and ends up knocking it onto the floor ? The sound of an cracked arcing pcb is deafening. And yes this could still happen if the front power button is off, but if its still in standby it could still be switched on by the remote, accidently or on purpose.
    3, Yep i did say this before and still believe it, plus it applies to the above two points. A tv in standby can be switched on by a remote.. shock, horror!
    again a faulty remote or one stuck down the sofa emmiting a constant on/off command can be hazardous, maybe ok for your sonys or panasonics(unless a 4 year old has tipped orange juice into it whilst your in the bath) but i wouldn't trust it on them turkish clones.

So come on people, if we want to keep our tv in standby lets keep it to ourselves, but for general advice to others......switch it off on the front power switch at least.

25. pjclark1

pjclark1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +271
    I'm not sure how I could spill a liquid into my wall mounted plasma?

Most liquid in TV incidents involve a Vase on top of the TV, but again
    my plasma is a bit too thin to put a vase on top.

But I am interested in knowing if you rush round in a thunderstorm covering all the mirrors in your house and hiding the forks?

26. TeresaTT

TeresaTT

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    What about set top boxes. My Telewest Active Digital box is pretty hot to the touch whether it's in standby or on. You'd think that was a pretty good argument to turn it off at the wall at night. However my Telewest contract states that I must not unplug the set top box. This is so that updates can be transmitted overnight. I wonder how many fires are caused by over-heating set top boxes, but Telewest probably won't volunteer that information. I actually never turn my set top box off so that my TiVo can record whenever it needs to. However I'm not really sure what risks I'm taking, especially as I leave it on while I go on holiday.

27. Doctorb

Doctorb
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I was generally talking about crts, i am just scared that someone will read this thread and think its a good idea to leave a tv in standby, and someones life may be lost because of it. Someone might think a PW6 is a crt.
    Oh and whilst your at work or down the pub with your pw6 in standby, an upstairs radiator pipe springs a leak...........least there might be a chance of the water putting the fire out.
    Does that seem improbable? well not to me, i've seen it, maybe not a plasma but quite a few tv's.
    The crt or plasma will be duff anyway with water contamination i know, but i'm not going to play dice with the chance of further loss of damage or life by leaving it in standby.

28. Doctorb

Doctorb
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1

No, i pull the ariel out of the wall. don't you?

29. Uzey

Uzey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    This discussion is getting a little heated! I'm just reading everybody's responses and I will decide after looking at both sides of the argument/discussion.

30. Doctorb

Doctorb
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Just done a google search, look here