1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

pwd6 & solarisation

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by stoobydale, Dec 28, 2004.

1. stoobydale

stoobydale

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Hi can anyone help? I've had my pwd6 since July (gutted to see it's £600 cheaper now) and it is only used for watching dvd's. What settings should I be looking at adjusting because the solarisation is horrendous and is driving me mad. The dvd player and amp are Teac ref 500 and 550 connected to screen via scart (QED directional :confused: ) If the picture is this bad with dvd what can I expect from a freeview box?

2. Peabo

Peabo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'd suggest connecting your DVD player via a component cable. Your scart cable is RGB right?

3. fatbob

fatbob
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have a PW6 and solarisation is hardly noticeable, so obviously something is causing problems in your setup.

If your dvd player has component outputs, I would suggest you get a component board for your PW6 and rig your dvd player up via this connection. This is how I have my dvd player connected, and solarisation is not an issue.

If component isn't possible from your dvd player, then I would make sure the player is configured in its setup menu to output an RGB signal, as this will be a massive improvement composite video. I use a scart RGB to plasma VGA convertor for interlaced RGB signals in my system, and it certainly produces good results, but as my plasma hasn't got any scarts, I haven't been able to compare RGB via scart to RGB via convertor so I can't really say how much of an improvement it is over ordinary scart. The commonly held view on this forum though is that the convertor is clearly better than a direct scart connection on the PW6.

Another thing to consider is the setup of the plasmas onboard controls. As a rough guide, sharpness shouldn't be any higher than +1, brightness around +2, colour around +1 and contrast should be no higher than -10, although ideal settings will vary from set to set.

4. spook

spook
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    with my PWD6 I have found if the contrast setting is set too high, solorization becomes more noticable, also try switching "peak limit" to the on position in your screen saver settings, this eliminated solarization completely for me.

something to be aware of, you do have to run your plasma for quite a while for things to settle in nicely,
    mine took about 1000 hours to run in properly, the difference from when it was new is quite amazing,

I use the "normal" settings with everything set to default (apart from "peak limit on") and it works a treat.
    now that the screen is "run in" the PQ is stunning

Spook

5. stoobydale

stoobydale

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Thanks for the replys. As said I only use the tv for watching films and I think the tv has probably not even done 200 hours yet so settling in may reduce the problems. I will certainly try some of the settings that you have mentioned. This question might make me sound really stupid but are all scart connections RGB. The outputs available from the player are "S-video out" "AV connector" and "video out jack" Which one would be best? I have not tried setting up the screen with one of the dvd's that I have seen mentioned on other threads, but if it is recommended could someone tell me where to purchase one please?

6. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    http://www.avforums.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=141
    for calbration DVD's
    Also reconmend you upgrade your DVD to one with component outputs (are you using the scart board on plasma? if so you could try a JS RGB>VGA box but a component output DVD player will cost the same and a very good one can be had for that much second hand Freevuew is very watchable tho..

7. stoobydale

stoobydale

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Thanks for that Hornydragon. Would you recommend the use of one of the set up dvd's? and if so which one? The dvd player that I have is a Teac dvh 500, I don't know if you remember them or if you have ever seen one but at the time it was bought as part of a hi-fi/home cinema system. These items are not full width and come in a gold colour, I know Deneon used to do units that looked similar but could you recommend a replacement that might fit in with the overall look? I have been waiting to buy a freeview box, the Sagem ITD 64 but was disappointed to see that there was no optical connection for connecting to my amp. I see that there is now an ITD 66 and would also be grateful if you could give me your comments on these.

8. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    if you have the whole system stacked then a good S/H player in gold Marrantz/TOSH is the best bet there is still some half width kit about, Cyrus Denon and teac still do it as well TEAC Legacy DR-L700, Cyrus DVD6 DVD Player, not up on sagem DTV boxes sorry tho mate