1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PWD6 Audio Connection Queries

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by Gizmo 76, Oct 17, 2004.

1. Gizmo 76

Gizmo 76

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +522
    Good Morning all,

A couple of quick questions regarding the Panny PWD6 screen.

What size plug is need for the audio input next to the VGA Connection?? They call it an M3 Jack in the manual, I require a double phono > this type of connection lead. This is to go from my VGA Convertor into the Plasma display.

Also is there anywhere that does a phono splitter, so I take the phono leads from the VGA Convertor into this, and then from this to both the TV (using the lead above ;) ) and an Amp . Just for the convenience of late night listen though some small speakers instead of running my amp.

. . . . . . . . I've just come across this on the device on the web, ths would also solve me manually switching my RGB Scart sources, and I asumme send the audio out both the 'Optical' and 'Phono' outputs!?! Anyone used this at all?? if so does it affect the quality of signal?? and can you get normal shaped scart connectors to fit next to one another??

Cheers people, any advice welcome :smashin:

Giz.

2. Gizmo 76

Gizmo 76

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +522
    OK, i've found some phono splitters, and it looks like the scart switching device won't do what I need :mad:

I just need to find out the size of the audio connection (M3 Jack??) next to the VGA Input. So i can get a suitable phono to 'this type of connection' lead.

Anyone got any ideas??

Giz.

3. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    M3 Jack???? Isnt that a standard 3.5mm jack?
    An why not use the pre outs or tape loop on AMP as splitting will probably effect the sound quality.....

4. Gizmo 76

Gizmo 76

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +522
    They do a 3.5mm > phono lead , I thought It might be this size, but when I asked in Maplins they'd never heard of a M3 Jack and when you google it, Panasonic Plasma spec pages appear :laugh: Think I'll take a chance and order this then.

Oh.....'tape loop', never thought of that. So if I take my main phonos from the VGA convertor to the 'tape loop in', and then the 'tape loop out' back up to the plasma screen using the phono > 3.5mm lead, I should get the choice of either selecting 'tape' on my amp, or just using the volume control on the plasma. I assume the tape loop will not need the amp to be switched on for me to use the plasma speakers.

Cheers Hornydragon :smashin:

Giz.

5. Tony8377

Tony8377

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Your AV Amp will still need to be on I believe. Not sure why your original method wont work but here's what you could do. Everything into the Joytech Scart Switcher. Then from Scart Switcher into VGA Converter and take your 2 Phono Lead to 3.5mm jack into the Plasma. Then connect a set of phono leads from the audio/phono/RCA output from the joytech into your amp.

This is of course dependent on the functionality of the Joytech device. If you input sound via a scart lead does it allow you to output the sound through both the scart lead & Phone/audio outputs at once (and optical for that matter)? How you find this out is another matter. :p

If you connect to both your amp and plasma using a phono splitter I imagine there would be a fair amount of signal degradation as I can't imagine the splitter is the best quality.

6. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    depending on your amp the Tape loop may be active from standby but that will vary very much on AMP. IE sound will flow throu amp without its processing or AMP doing anything.

7. Gizmo 76

Gizmo 76

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +522
    Cheers for the replies,

Tony, from what I've found out about the Joytech device it will only act as a pass-through for each input, so Scart to Scart, Optical to Optical, Phono to Phono. This is a shame because the original idea would have been by far the best solution, and would save me manually switching my Scart inputs.

What about the Quinttro Switch Box from av-sales, this has audio outputs, I would have thought this would output the stereo signal from the Scart Connection selected. I could take these outputs to the TV, and then the Phono Outputs on the VGA Convertor to my amp. This should work shouldn't it???

I think i'm getting there :laugh:

Giz.