1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PWD6 (Another) Problem

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by kch1888, Nov 6, 2004.

1. kch1888

kch1888

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    After hours spent on this forum, I went for a Panasonic PWD6 plasma. :thumbsup:
    I have a pioneer DV575 connected via component and Sky+ connected via scart (using the scart terminal board).
    Picture quality is exceptional when watching a DVD, however, when watching sky there are vertical bars down the right hand side of the picture no matter what channel i'm watching! These are feint but are noticeable and very annoying :mad:
    Has anyone had a similar experience, or are able to advise me of a solution (if one exists)?!

Thanks.

2. Leigh_1973

Leigh_1973

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    Does DVD via scart give the same effect?
    Have you tried a few different scart leads?
    Have you tried re-seating the Scart board?

Just trying to get rid of the obvious

3. kch1888

kch1888

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for getting replying.
    I tried the DVD player through the scart when I noticed the problem for the first time. When through the scart, the DVD player produces no lines like the sky box. This made me think that the scart lead and board cannot be at fault and that the problem must be the sky box. However, when I tried my old sky box I found the same lines appearing! Surely both boxes cannot be faulty?!

4. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,809
    Do you mean that there are black vertical bars that go from edge of picture area to edge of actual screen? If so you could go in to the PICTURE POS/SIZE option of the plasma and just adjust it out.

Gordon

5. pjclark1

pjclark1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +271
    you are connecting the sky to the Scart terminal board
    with a faulty scart lead.

6. kch1888

kch1888

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Gordon, the bars are not black and are part of the picture as if they are being overlayed onto it? Does that make any sense?!

Pjclark, if the scart lead was faulty would I not expect to get the same results when I connect the dvd player via the same lead as I use for the sky?

Thanks again!

7. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    IS sky set to RGB?

8. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,809
    Well I'd check the grey level of the letterbox bars the Panasnic uses and set them to black then see if these stripes go black if they do then I'd check what aspect ratio you are watching in. If they don't then ,,,,,,,,,,well did you try the sizing thing I suggested?

Gordon

9. kch1888

kch1888

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The sky is set to rgb, but even with it set to pal, the problem is the same.
    I tried the bar settings but this doesn't seem to have any effect on the bars that i'm seeing. I'm using 16:9 aspect ratio on the panel and the sky box is also set to 16:9 so if I resize the picture I start to cut off part of the picture and the sky logo etc...
    Is this problem something i'm just going to have to put up with?! :rolleyes:

10. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,809
    Can you post a picture of the SKYguide showing the issue please
    Also have you contacted your dealer to ask them to fix this for you.

Gordon

11. kch1888

kch1888

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Gordon, i'll post a pic asap.
    Ive not contacted anyone yet as i'm unsure where the problem lies. As the problem doesn't appear with the dvd player I thought this ruled out the panel being at fault?! Do you reckon I should get in touch with Sky?

Cheers again!

12. kch1888

kch1888

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My digital camera isn't good enough to take a clear shot of the screen :mad:
    I've created a jpeg to try and explain as best possible what I am seeing! The blue rectangle represents the sky background (which you find on the tv guide or when changing channel) and the bars of lighter blue are what i'm seeing. These go about a quarter of the way into the picture and change colour depending on the picture i.e they are lighter blue than the sky background or lighter green when watching football etc. The best way to think of them is being transparent bars which dull down the colour they are overlaying.
    I know that is not the best description and doesn't come close to actually seeing the screen, but have you heard of anything like this before from a pwd6 panel and/or sky+ box?

Thanks Gordon, your insight is much appreciated. :smashin:

Attached Files: