1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PW8 v 42PV500

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs Forum' started by VistaVision, Sep 19, 2005.

1. VistaVision

VistaVision

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    :lease: Apart from the price, would there be any other advantages, especially in picture quality, in going for a PW8 rather than a 42PV500?
    Thanks.

2. davsdu

davsdu

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    PW8 is a SD panel.

3. theo cupier

theo cupier

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +113
    the better comparison would be with the PHD8 & PV500 since they are both HD res, pixel wise.

I think there are a number of benefits to the PxD8, in terms of its configurability, wall mountability (and the lack of a bezel 3 feet wide!) but I'll leave someone else to give chapter & verse

4. AndoverRed

AndoverRed

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    The simple answer is yes. However, there are other reasons to consider a PWD8 over a PV500, notibly

Flexibility - Just buy what you need. Terminal boards, speakers, and stand are optional items. If you have an AV amp capable of switching video then the integral VGA port may be all you need. The VGA port supports component.

Cost - The PWD8 will be at least £500 cheaper than an equivalent PV500, certainly if you utilise the current av-sales forum deal.

PQ - Due to the lack of tuner and thus additional processing, the PQ should be 'better' on a PWD8 than PV500. I have yet to see a PWD8 so cannot comment. However, there are more options for tuning the picture on a PWD8.

The PWD8 is not really a HD Ready display. The resolution dictates that this display will downscale a HD image. Then again, the popular believe is that no 42" screens are truly HD compliant.

Have you considered the PHD8 panel? This will cost the same as a PV500.

5. Drifty

Drifty
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've also been wondering the same thing so cheers for the breakdown - but I'm kinda surprised that the PHD8 is the same price as the PV500 - espically as it's just a panel.

Does this mean the PHD8 has any other picture improvements up it's sleeve?

6. VistaVision

VistaVision

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    :clap: Many thanks for the imfo. I wasn't aware that there was more than one 42" plasma panel available from Panasonic. Since I don't require speakers the HD panel would seem to be a better bet than the Viera.

7. Badger0-0

Badger0-0

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,921
    Then again, the popular believe is that no 42" screens are truly HD compliant.

Since when???

I would question that.

Yes, plasma's are not compliant in that they don't do 720 or 1080 exactly, agreed.
    Don't mislead people :nono:

It will be really interesting, IMO, to see which scales better, regarding HD,the panny's 480? against the H's 1024. I know where my money is :smashin:

You can have your scaler for an extra £700, Panny fans :smashin:

Although, I say things expecting to get shot down sometimes :rolleyes: ;)

8. AndoverRed

AndoverRed

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Don't push me. :mad: This is a rather sweeping statement I agree. However, it does have a degree of accuracy. :)

The PHD8 certainly seems to be the display that people on this forum are waiting for (due early October allegedly). How much of an improvement it is over the PWD8, PV500, and 436XDE remains to be SEEN.

Watch this space.....

For the record, the PHD8 has a higher resolution and greater number of pixels than the PWD8. Therefore, should be an improvement with HD material.

9. Sulis

Sulis
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Not necessarily - although it should be better than the TV, as it's not trying to do 3 different things at once (get signal, show picture, play music) - it's more to do with the fact that the Panny panels are now distributed by the Business section, so they're going to mark them up more!

10. theo cupier

theo cupier

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +113
    The PHDs have always been very different internally from the PWDs.

Both the PHD7 & PHD8 have very different (and arguably better) signal processing than the equivalent PWD models, such as better creation of a progressive signal from interlaced input. That's where some of the extra money goes.

11. gizlaroc

gizlaroc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +790
    I would take a PW8 over a PV500 every time, if you want a better picture the panel, albeit lower res, gives it!

Everyone gets so hung up on resolution it is unreal, look at it this way........

Grimsby Town have a bigger squad this season that Chelsea, so this means Grimsby town are the better side, no?

Of course not! The quality of the overall product is what matters, not how many pixels you have in your squad.

The main reason the PHD screens are better than the PW screens is not resolution it is processing, if you use an external processor and pixel map so you do not use the panels processor I bet 75% of this forum would not be able to say which was which from the sofa!

However in a blind test with say a Samsung HD Ready Screen and a Panasonic Panel, I bet 100% of this forum would choose the Panny!

12. ddlooping

ddlooping

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Hi all. :hiya:

When talking about screen resolution, one thing is often not mentionned: the viewing distance.

I have only done the comparison on a 42PA50 (SD) and a 42PV500 (HD)- same HD feed - but the latter was in my opinion better when the viewing distance was inferior to 9".
    On the 42PA50, the lower resolution and Screen-Door-Effect clearly had a negative effect on image quality.
    My nephew, who doesn't know anything about plasma technology, still prefered the 42PV500 at a distance of 12".

VistaVision, how far are you going to sit from the screen?

13. UKseless1

UKseless1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +36
    You could decide on the basis that a lot of us have here. Buy the SD panel that is HD Compatible and enjoy the £ saving and the great viewing experience you will get from the PWD8 today.

There is no HD Content available now anyway unless you are an early adopter i.e. HD-DVD, Blueray etc..... in which case you would not even be considering a PWD8 you would be after the PHD8 or another high end HD Ready screen and money would likely be no object.

You could wait for HD to catch on properly which is likely to be a while yet 1, 2 or 3 years perhaps even more and then look around for what is likely to be a much better option that is not yet available. In that time you would have enjoyed all that plasma has to offer, if you bought the PWD8 you could determine if you even need a HD Ready panel as you may be more than happy with what it can provide.

14. VistaVision

VistaVision

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    ddlooping
    The viewing distance from the plasma,when it arrives, would be around three metres.
    Cheers

15. Sulis

Sulis
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I personally think that sitting 9 inches from the screen would definitely result in a poorer experience... :)

16. ddlooping

ddlooping

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    :oops:
    That's almost 10 feet. Maybe the loss in resolution wouldn't be too noticeable then. :)