1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PW7B Resolution Questions Reference MS Media Centre Setup

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by Mark Payne, Feb 22, 2005.

1. Mark Payne

Mark Payne

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

I'm new to this forum so I hope I am posting in the right place.
    I hope you can help me.... thanks in advance!

I am looking to set up a system based on a Media Centre PC (Elonex Artisan Media PC details Here)

Plus I notice the TH42PW7B is a well respected screen. This would be my choice but.....

Obviously I am in the VGA domain. The PC holds the DVD/W and the TV cards (freeview in my case) and all visual output is in VGA from the graphics card.

My question is about native panel resolution for use with TV/DVD and PC:

The TH42PW7B is a 852*480 pixel device (16:9) format. I have never used widescreen on a PC ut I assume a modern graphics card can be set to the 852*480 reolution.

Now my questions:

1. 852*480 resolution does not "float my boat" in terms of PC detail when using the screen for general PC work, given that I run a 15 inch screen at say 1024*768. Are there cost effective screens that support higher native resolutions or am I missing the point here?

2. If I expect my PC based system to be "HD ready" ... (what ever that means)... what is the required native resolution for "HD". I am confused about this as Hi Def would appear to be a broadcast/component/composite video issue and I am not sure how to map this into VGA resolutions.

3. Even if we remove the PC issue and feed component video into the screen .. how can a thing with only 852*480 pixels be HD? My problem is I am not too sure what "standard video" resolution is ..... lower than 852*480 I would think..... but what about DVD resolution? Is that higher?

Sorry

Hope I am making sense and asking the right questions.

Regards

Mark

2. stevelup

stevelup

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +836
    Hi

The scaler in the Panasonic SD panel is very good. I have my windows PC set to 1280 x 720 and it is very readable.

If you want true Hi-Def capability though, you need to look at the PHD7. Hidef is 1280 x 720, the PHD7 is 1024x768 so some scaling will still take place.

Steve

3. Mark Payne

Mark Payne

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Steve.. thanks for that.
    Question ... if the native resolution of the panel is 852x480 .. why would you push on the PC resolution beyond that..... Not tring to argue... just tring to understand!

4. stevelup

stevelup

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +836
    Hi

If you leave your PC set at 852 x 480, everything is huge! Your browser navigation bar takes up about 15% of the screen area before you have even started and you will find youself scrolling up, down, left and right even just to view something like AVForums.

Steve

5. peezee

peezee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Mark, what happens is the Pana display, thru its internal scaler, will do its best to show 720 lines on 480 rows of pixels. So there will be alias, text won't be as crisp as when using native resolution, things will be a bit blurrier, BUT - you _will_ really see the equivalent of 720 lines on the plasma monitor. IOW as much as you can see on yr 1024x768 LCD monitor (or almost, vertically, and more horizontally).

I've tried that myself (Mac powerbook connected to a 42PWD7 via VGA set to 1280x720@60) and I would agree that the resulting picture is not bad at all, though not as crisp as with 852x480 of course. The thing you can do in WinXP is increase font size (either per application, or globally (via the desktop settings thing) if you're not happy with text readability. ;)