PW7 weakest screen according to R sounds

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs Forum' started by rudy, Jan 4, 2005.

1. rudy

rudy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Just thought some of you will be surprised by this.

When i rang to find out if the Pw7 came with a scart board (it does`nt) I was told by Doug at the Bloomsbury branch that it was the weakest screen for PQ(in his view) and said that i should come in and compare!

hmmm..

2. 406lx

406lx

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    There would be many on this forum that would disagree with Dougs comment I am sure.

3. gizlaroc

gizlaroc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +796
    Did you ask Doug which screen he would reccomend??

Seriously, make your mind up before stepping foot inside RS on any product, the are a commision based company, they pay their mortgages, put food on the table and generally live by selling you the highest margin products they can. Nothing wrong with that at all, and most of the world is the same, as long as you know it.

4. Loada

Loada

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +51
    The current £1199 deal for the 37" PW7 looks good on the face of it (as long as you're aware and happy with the HD/HDMI debacle) but this price DOESN'T include a board, just the panel and my local RS didn't have any boards in stock. They sell the boards at £150 each too. So once you've added all the frippery (boards, cables, stands/mounts) it starts adding up.

5. blackmanalishi

blackmanalishi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Discount Audio Vision are offering the 37" PW7 for £1242.96 WITH SCART board.

I would also disagree with "Doug"'s view, as I have a 37" PW7 and previously owned a 42" Samsung (the one that's just been reduced to £1600/1700 in Currys/Dixons) - there is no comparison even just using the bog standard SCART board and as opposed to the RGB2VGA converter I'll be getting shortly.

I bought my screen a month ago for what was then an absolute bargain price of £1499 with SCART (most other retailers had it advertised for £2k+). To say the current price is good value for money would be the understatement of the year...

All I've spent since is £80 on a wall bracket, £30 on a decent SCART lead and £90 on an additional Component terminal for my Xbox, plus £120 on the RGB2VGA when I decide to order it (both the last two are entirely optional). So I don't think you need to go overboard and as SD screens go the PQ is definitely one of the best around...

6. Rambles

Rambles

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,355
    They didn't mention that to me when I bought mine from the Romford branch on Monday......... :cool:

7. rudy

rudy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I totally agree with all of you- the pq is great, especially the depth.

Even though i explained this to the guy at RS he seemed to have genuinely convinced himself! I don`t fall for the hard sell-

Off to J lewis to get it price matched- hoping they might be selling them with scart board and might not realise about RS selling without; tell you if it works...

8. Rambles

Rambles

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,355
    :thumbsup: nice plan.... :thumbsup:

9. peezee

peezee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    won't work if someone from J Lewis reads yr post though... :laugh:

<no no, I don't work for J Lewis, relax... :D >

10. blackmanalishi

blackmanalishi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sounds to me like he was just angling to sell you something far more expensive...

Good luck with JL. Have they started selling PW7s? When I was looking for mine they told me they only sold plasmas with tuners, i.e. the TH37PE30. If you can get a PW7 from them with a 5 year warranty for that price, you'll be doing extremely well (but you probably already know that!).

11. rudy

rudy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    You are right. Not stocked! Or the Hitachi 32pd 5200 (they have the 5300)

Damn! Will go to RS. Where can i get a cheaper scart board(than RS) for PW7?

12. blackmanalishi

blackmanalishi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I haven't seen SCART boards for less than £130, and some retailers (i.e. AV Sales) don't like selling them without the screens. I can understand that attitude with other terminal boards due to short supply but the SCART one is quite freely available I believe...

www.ivojo.co.uk were really nice to deal with, and their SCART board is advertised at £137 inc VAT (not sure about delivery). You might want to consider not getting one at all and getting the JS Tech converter instead (ivojo also sell that for £119 inc VAT), then you just plug your SCART lead into that and plug the converter into your VGA port. Guaranteed to be a better picture...

13. rudy

rudy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Thanks for that.

You have been really helpful. I will get the JS tech converter with it. Does anyone recommend a good swivelling wall bracket?

14. SILVERBACK

SILVERBACK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +74
    playing devils advocate here but maybe he has a point.the price i believe of the pw6 was something like £4000 when it came out and the price of the pw7 was significantly cheaper so the components could possibly be more expensive in the pw6.or have i got it completely wrong ? lol.

15. gizlaroc

gizlaroc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +796
    Good point.

PW4 was imho the best PW series screen made so far, and they are getting cheaper all the time.

However do you really think this is why the RS guy was advising against the PW7?? :)

16. sldt

sldt

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Or is that RS customer service that is weak, I have had to ring my local branch 3 times to get a RS shop assistant to measure the box on a TH37PW7 to see if it will fit in my car !

17. blackmanalishi

blackmanalishi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I don't know much about the technical differences between the PW6 and PW7 (although I trust Panasonic to have made some advances when designing the PW7, otherwise why release it at all?!), but I'm pretty sure the general price of plasmas fell considerably between the PW6 and PW7 release dates - and they're falling even quicker today as we've all seen.

I think it's unfair to compare the original RRP of both, given that they weren't released simultaneously. e.g. would you argue that the Nintendo GBA SP is as good as it's successor the DS just because they have similar release date RRPs (£100)?

The technology market is just about the fastest-changing market in existence, so it's reasonable to expect future derivative generations of a product to be the same price or cheaper if they're released some time apart - unless they're a HUGE technological leap forward of course... :)

18. SILVERBACK

SILVERBACK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +74
    im shocked he didnt try and push you into purchasing a "visual inovations" plasma :laugh: imho RS are great IF you have two things.1,you know what your buying 2,they have it in stock.i went to richer the other day and over heard a fella advising a women to buy a cambridge audio amp and phillips cd player as "sony arent as good with cd as phillips as phillips invented cd" what the fudge lol.

i wonder if there is any proof that the pw6 is actually better than the pw7 as the more expensive components?

19. gizlaroc

gizlaroc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +796
    But that is the point, the PW4, a screen that is now 4 generations old seems to be a better performer than the PW6 (not seen the PW7 to compare).

Look at the PStwo compared with the PS2, the reason Sony have changed it is because the new version does the same thing as the older version but at a fraction of the cost.

They have probably brought out the 7 series because they can manufacture them cheaper more than any other reason. They will obviously add benifits to the new screens too, like higher contrast ratios etc. and highlight these improvements in the sales literature, while keeping quiet about the cheaper glass, the cheaper colour decoder, cheaper power supply etc. etc.

20. grahamtriggs

grahamtriggs

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    It's all speculation really. You could just as easily say that for any custom processing they include, the research and development was paid for on the older models, and so they can cut the prices all the way back to little more than the manufacturing costs.

Benefits are clearly being reaped from having paid for early research, and manufacturing in greater volumes - you don't suddenly drop half the price simply from using a cheaper colour decoder and/or power supply.

21. gizlaroc

gizlaroc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +796

Graham, thet are not using a cheaper colour decoder and/or power supply, it was a ficticious example.

The point of this thread is, someone from Richer Sounds has said that the PW7 is the worst plasma display available at the moment.
    Well I think we can all ignore his advice from now on!!

22. blackmanalishi

blackmanalishi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    lol - good point giz, I think we kind of lost the "thread" <groan :nono: > there for a minute!

Interesting discussion though... :smashin:

23. Likvid

Likvid
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Don't you know? LG is the new highend kid on the block now :D

24. mugsy

mugsy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    Hi sldt,

Would you mind posting the box dimensions (if you got them in the end!).

Will hopefully be useful to me in the near future ;)

Many thanks,
    Mugsy

25. sldt

sldt

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've reserved one to collect later in the week, the dim's of the packaging are : 41" x 29" x 11" according to RS, It will just fit upright in the back seat of my car & held in with rear seat belts ( I understand that they should be transported vertically )

26. mugsy

mugsy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    Many thanks :smashin: