PW7 vs PW8

M

mc1510

Interested in the Panasonic PW8, but have also seen a few great deals advertised on the PW7. Has anyone had the chance to compare a TH-42PW7 and a TH-PW8 side by side? I'm interested to know what additional features, if any, the PW8 has over the PW7, and if there is any difference in picture quality.

Cheers

Almost nothing in picture, they styling is slightly different, and the 8 works propely with HDMI. You pays your money and makes your choice, HD compatible or not.

Maw, you seem to know what you're talking about. This HD compatible but not HD ready business is driving me nuts, I'm very keen on the PWD8 that AV sales are doing the deal on at the moment, but:-

If the PW is HDMI, why do they make the PHD8?, does the PW have a scaler to take it up from 468 to 720 lines?, does it really show HD sources to a good standard?

Basically, am I going to get my boll**ks chewed off by telling "her" that we will be buying a futureproof screen, when it's more a sort of dogs dinner of HD compatibility?

Thanks, this is the last thing I need answering honestly before I take the plunge.

the PW8 is std def resolution and will scale down the HDMI input to its native res of 852x 480.

LOL, mep is right, naturally, but it's not the only difference. The PHD model has significantly better processing in addition to the resolution. Basically, HD ready means there is no loss of info vertically, the screen has more pixels than lines of data. This is of course a fudge, cos all 42" plasmas (HD ones) are 1024x768, not 1280, but there you go, the spec was written by Panasonic amongst others! Of course, the data in the incoming HD signal is scaled by any display which is not exactly HD resolution, ie 1280/720. It is fair to say that a crap 1024/768 plasma will, as it has to scale upwards, look worse than a very good 480 line plasma if the scaling is good enough in the 2nd and poor enough in the 1st. Does that make sense to you? All things being equal, more res is better, the PHD is a better screen than the PWD. But that does not mean the PWD is not just as 'future proof', it will accept and display correctly all the same signals, and looks very fine with 720p.

mc1510 said:
Interested in the Panasonic PW8, but have also seen a few great deals advertised on the PW7. Has anyone had the chance to compare a TH-42PW7 and a TH-PW8 side by side? I'm interested to know what additional features, if any, the PW8 has over the PW7, and if there is any difference in picture quality.
Cheers

not exactly what you are asking but i just bought my first plasma - a pwd7 - and its fantastic. i think you'll be happy with either of them.

Maw, thanks for that info, I understand what you're saying about scaling.
I can't really justify the extra £100's on the PHD, as I am starting from scratch, so it looks like the PW8 and a big whisky bottle to put the pennys in for a nice HD panel when HD becomes the norm.

Appreciated.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom