Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

PW7 vs Philips?

Discussion in 'Philips TVs Forum' started by finbarsid, Dec 26, 2004.

1. finbarsid

finbarsid

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Everyone --I've been reading all the posts for a while now but would appreciate a bit of your knowledge/experience.
    I'm thinking of a 37" plasma and considering either the panny PW7 (or PWD7--any advantage?) or the Philips with pixel plus and digital natural motion. (37PF9946 or newer 37PF9975?) --Saw the 37PF9946 in Richers and it looked miles better than the rest on display.
    I'd look to connect a freeview box and DVD player via a JS RGB-VGA adapter and was looking to use the Pioneer AV receiver VSXC-502 for the sound processing.
    *Does/will the Pana suffer from motion smearing and which will give the better picture quality?
    *Is the RGB to VGA a better connect than the component DVD straight into the Pana component board?
    *Will lip-sync adjustment be necessary? (and possible?)
    All comments/help/suggestions welcome

2. Stonedragon

Stonedragon
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hi Finbarsid

I have the 42" Philips and it is an excellent screen. At the time I could of bought a Panny, but in my opinion the Philips was better. I can't in honesty comment how the Philips you saw compares to the Panny you mentioned, but don't be suprised if everybody (90%) on this forum tells you go with the Panny, because the herd mentality seems to rule here. Good luck with whatever you choose.

3. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,218
    Philips37" is ALIS IIRC so have a search......Panny is an SD panel 852x480....but can be alot better have a search.....

4. finbarsid

finbarsid

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thanks for the reply and forgive my ignorance but whats the issue over ALIS panels?
    Also there doesn't appear to be many 37" plasmas out there (mainly LCD) -Which do you think are a good bet--not too sure I'll be needing HD as don't have Sky and not too bothered about Sky HD.

5. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,218
    search for ALIS...it is a different type of plasma to normal (Panny/Pionner/NEC/SAMSUNG/LG) made by Fujitsu/Hitachi and resold as SONY Phillips and others....... that case i reconmend you look at panny TH-37PW7 and TH-37PE30

6. Stuart.Ainslie

Stuart.Ainslie
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just my opinion but......
    I owned a 37PF9946 for 4 weeks and could not live with the picture quality or the service that Philips provide. The picture smeared at the slightest sight of a skin tone and a dark band appeared through the middle of the panel. Spoke to Philips and they said "It's OK Sir, they all do that" and would not send an engineer. Ended up argueing the toss with their Service Director before a refund was agreed.
    Now own a Panasonic TH42PW7, the picture is in a different league - even my wife notices the difference.

With regards to the picture quality seen in stores, I agree that the 37PF9946 looked great in store - That's why I bought one. I have been since told that some stores will deliberately put certain screens on a good feed and others on a dirty feed to 'market' certain products....

7. AV-Learner

AV-Learner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just been through the loop myself and agree completely with S.A. Saw that plasmas were coming down in price and thought it time to invest but did not want to pay the earth, just wanted a reasonable picture. At the time had not found out about AVF to get advice but tried to get some reviews from the web. Migrated to Richer Sounds through a web price search and was impressed by the PQ of the 37PF9946 in the shop, showing an animated film! After all it may not be British but at least it is European, or is it made in China? Got it home and was still impressed until a close up panned shot of a hand appeared like something out of a horror movie with vein-like red and blue lines. Wife is into tennis and the distortion on flesh at times made Leighton Hewitt look like a monster! From then on we were just waiting for it to happen.

Decided to go back to Richer who, despite some adverse comments on AVF, were really good and agreed to an exchange. Decided to go for a PW7, which seemed to be the next step after reading AVF entries and as most of our other gear is Panasonic or Technics. It did cost a couple of hundred more to get a basic workable package and we have lost the terrestial signal but so far no such distortion. One thing that did impress about the Philips though was the simple and effectively designed wall bracket costing just £20. The one I was sold for the PW7 cost around £150 and it is design nightmare but it accounted for the bulk of the price difference.

Made the mistake of buying the first thing that impressed and still got lots to learn and haven't got my head round much of the jargon used on this site and not sure I ever will. Just seen all the talk about HD problems with Panasonic who now seem to be coming in for some panning themselves, which makes a change!

Oh by the way I think that Horny Dragon derserves a medal for all that he/she puts into this site!

8. superpixel

superpixel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    In the 37" arena, the Philips is the only one to get. It may not have the contrast of the Panny, but the Panasonic 37" is a horrible screen, and does not come close to the quality of its other panel sizes. There's something really amiss with it.

But if you stretch to a 42", then its just down to personal preference. They're both good pictures, I'd give the Philips the edge on clarity and brightness personally. But certainly they're just different rather than worse or better pictures.

But in all honesty, if you're not happy with the Philips 37", I doubt you'll be happier with anything else in this price bracket.

9. AV-Learner

AV-Learner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well there's no accounting for taste! I came into all this with no predudice and lived with the Philips 37PF9946 for a week and now have the PW7 which has so far not displayed any of the close up panning abberations on flesh seen with the Philips. Also I just don't understand the point about Panasonic getting it all OK with a 42" and screwing up completely on the 37" when using what must be the same technology. Think about it. Perhaps some of the techies can explain. The only regret that I have at this stage is that for another £100 I could have got the 42" PWD6 and I am sue that the room would have coped with it although I can't say the same for HID.