1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PW7 VGA input problem

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by Mr Ess, Dec 29, 2004.

1. Mr Ess

Mr Ess

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +38
    My PW7 is working a treat and I was using my laptop's vga output to plug into my Plasma for huge PC screen fun. I decided to buy myself a christmas present and have a full time media player on my rack that I can use for music, avi's and games etc. The spec is the following :- Shuttle V3, AMD3200XP, 512mb DDR400, 250gb SATA, Sapphire X800Pro VIVO 8xAGP, SPDIF surrount in/out, Wireless kb/mouse.

Trouble is, when I plug my VGA cable into this new PC it shows the screen fine apart from half a dozen or so horizontal banding lines that kind of move slightly but doesn't roll down the screen. Its still usable but its very annoying. I have tried a different VGA cable and it still does it. I've tried a different Catalyst VGA driver and still the same. I've tried using the other VGA output on the card and still the same. I've tried changing the resolution settings and its still the same. I've tried changing the frequency of the monitor settings from 36hz all the way through to 150hz and they do change the number the bands on the screen but nothing better than 75hz. I've even used the supplied svideo -> component cable and it still has banding on it.

As soon as I plug my laptop in, its fine (at 1024x768) ..... Any ideas :rolleyes:

2. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    Have you got another monitor to try it with? Doesn't sound like the plasma is faulty.

3. Mr Ess

Mr Ess

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +38
    Yeah, it works fine on my monitor upstairs. The plasma must be OK because the laptop uses the same VGA connection and is fine. I wonder if its a setting on the ATI card. The card even recognised the Plasma when you look at the monitor settings - it says "TH-42P***" which I was quite impressed by....

Very annoying problem though :(

4. Mr Ess

Mr Ess

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +38
    I've narrowed it down to a dodgy earth on the Shuttle PC. I will have to wait until next week to see if they will replace it for me seeing as its a week old. I just hope a new one fixes it and its not a problem with all Shuttle's.

Anyone here that uses a Shuttle PC with a plasma? Any problems like these? :(

5. lisag

lisag

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +296
    Hi,

I am using a shuttle pc with windows xp media center 2005 and have exactly the same problem on my CRT telly. I was hoping it would disappear when my new plasma arrives - now I am worried. Please keep me updated on the earth problem, how did you diagnose it, and is there a fix?
    thanks
    lisa