1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PW7 Very Good Buy?

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs Forum' started by kmt, Mar 8, 2005.

1. kmt

kmt
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi everyone
    Just recieved my PW7 from 123 electricals £1249 including stand and scart board, very pleased with the quality of the picture. The display allows you to choose between 4.3 - zoom - 16.9 - just - auto - in the auto setting both sides of the panel the picture seems distorted,like looking through a gold fish bowl, in the zoom mode it seems ok, just wondered if anyone else has had the same experience, or is it not set up right, any advise would be appreciated, as this is my first plasma,

regards kmt

2. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,218
    get a copy of DVE PAL and adjust the overscan mate (Also do not use DYNAMIC MODE)

3. rickyroma

rickyroma

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +70
    thats natural for the auto setting , as far as I know it resizes the edges so the middle doesnt appear stretched.

4. Procter

Procter
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    you say you got the tv for 1249 but the website says its 1300 how did you get it for that price, who did you speak to as im ordering one tomorrow from them

5. kmt

kmt
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    just went on to the web site via google and it was there at £12.49 inc delivery
    kmt

6. kmt

kmt
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    what kind of setting would you recomend?
    kmt

7. kmt

kmt
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    is DVE Pal a mag? sorry if i seem a bit dim!!!! How do you ajust overscan?
    kmt

8. rickyroma

rickyroma

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +70
    kmt id just stick with 16:9 , some 4:3 images might look a little fat at first but you'll get used to it :)

9. kmt

kmt
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    So there.s nothing to worry about then !! Its doin my head in, watching a DVD is fine, Would you accept it it would you send it back for another one, and would the new one be the same?
    kmt

10. Piers

Piers

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +229
    kmt,

DVE is a calibration DVD. Check my sig in the morning to see how to do it properly!

11. kmt

kmt
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    sounds complecated, had this plasma about 48 HRS now would you sujest sending it back for a replacement?
    kmt

12. Mep

Mep

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +477
    is it sky you have the problems with?....what pic settings do you have on sky if so?

13. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,218
    send it back why???

14. JulianL

JulianL

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    No, no. It's just (no pun intended) a setting. The auto mode itself can be set to work in one of two ways, you can either have it as auto/just or auto/4:3. In auto/just then it will switch to widescreen for widescreen broadcasts but for non-widescreen it will switch to "just" mode which tries to be smart by keeping the centre of the picture undistorted (because that is where most of the action is) but progressively stretches it more and more towards the edges. auto/4:3 is like auto/just except that when the broadcast isn't widescreen then it uses regular 4:3 mode, i.e. no picture stretching but bars down the left and right hand sides. I strongly suspect that you have your PW7 set to auto/just rather than auto/4:3.

To set to auto/4:3 just keep pressing the aspect button until you get the panel to auto, but then look immediately at the bottom of the screen and you will see coloured blocks to tell you which colour button to press on the remote to select the non-widescreen behaviour for the auto mode, either "just" or "4:3". You have to look for and press the colour button fairly quickly because it only stays on screen for a few seconds and then dissapears. If you miss it then just rotate through the aspect settings with the aspect button again until you get back to just mode, and then press the appropriate colour button more promptly this time.

I hope this is your problem and not a fault on the panel.

- Julian

P.S. This is based on experience of a 6 series panel but I can't imagine that Panny changed this with the 7 series, it is also the way their CRT just mode has worked for at least 5 years.

15. mark.king

mark.king
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I can't see blocks at he bottom of my screen? I have a 42PWD6. I can find the setting under setup then signal. You don't need to be quick then it is just a setting at the bottom of this menu.

16. JulianL

JulianL

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ah, maybe my memory is playing tricks on me and I am just confusing it with the user interface on my Panny CRT TV, but I know 100% for sure that I was able to set the auto mode on my parents 6-series panel to auto/4:3 because they had exactly the same problem which also implies that the default setting if you just set auto mode by cycling through the aspect ratios with the aspect button on the remote is to get auto/just.

Another possibility, as an alternative to me being confused, is that mabe my parents is a PW6 (consumer version) not a PWD6 (commercial version) and the interface could be different. It would make sense if the consumer version had the same interface that Panny have been using on their CRT TVs for years but the commercial version has something different. I somehow suspect I just got confused though.

Still, at least you are also confirming that it is possible to adjust the non-widescreen format of the auto mode to either "Just" or "4:3" if I understand your reply correctly. I suspect this is the solution to kmt's problem.

- Julian

17. kmt

kmt
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the advice about changing my sky box from 4.3 to 16.9 that has cured the problem with the distortation of the edges of the plasma Thanks again kmt

18. kmt

kmt
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Julian for the advice but it turned out to be something simple like changing the sky box to 16.9 instead of 4.3 kmt