1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pw7 Settings

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by mafri1972, Jan 12, 2005.

1. mafri1972

mafri1972

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ok, my toy has finally arrived from AV sales, and I've got a couple of questions.

1. I know, I know, I know that I should change the contrast settings, etc. in accordance with my own taste and circumstances - but the factory settings were so apalling I thought it might be interesting to see what other people use. I've left things pretty much were they are, apart from the contrast which is now 17 (prev. 30!)

2. The desktop stand from AV sales - seems I have a choice of mounting higher or lower. I went for higher, bearing in mind cabling, etc. but I'm now wondering whether to change it. Any thoughts....?

Cheers

Martin

2. blackmanalishi

blackmanalishi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'd be interested to know what others use too - mine's currently set to 5 on everything, and "Normal" picture type. It's a tiny bit darker than I would probably go for, but certainly prepared to live with it within the first 200 hours (am at 100ish now)

re the stand - get a wall mount. Frees up loads of space in the room and you feel like you're in a futuristic film! :D

3. PTG

PTG

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Mafri- suggest you reduce contrast and brightness, make sure it is in normal mode for the first 200hrs before you start making the panel shout.

Ref other peoples settings, this can vary from panel to panel, so I would go for one of the set up disc's available after she's run in. :thumbsup:

Enjoy.

4. blackmanalishi

blackmanalishi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks PTG. I've got DVE ready and waiting for when I hit 200 hours, I was more concerned with feeling confident with the settings I've picked during the run-in period...

5. Mep

Mep

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +460
    have my PW7 due next week from av sales and also ordered dve form piero for use after 200 hours is up :)......does dve come with plenty of instructions for the hard of thinking? :)

6. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    dve needs a good watching on your own (no kids dogs mates) is boring but worth while (nightamre to navigate tho)....... what i do is RUN a couple of DVE patterns and then knock the settings down another 2-3 (AMBIENTLIGHT!!!!) remember Abientlight makes a huge dofference to PQ and the pannys have different modes, no good setting cinema up if missus knocks it into dynamic first time she picks it up............and you dont notice......... adjust all modes.......

7. Steve_P

Steve_P

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +142
    Time to buy a white cane and some dark shades if that's the case :p and possibly a guide dog :D

S.

8. PTG

PTG

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Keep logo chennel viewing to a minimum if poss, make sure the picture fills the screen and as long as the picture is watchable and not screeming at you it should be fine. Once you hit 200 do as horney say's and spend a bit of time calibrating.

Must admit though, after you have watched your panel with reduced brightness and contrast for 200hrs-it's a sight for sore eye's :) :smashin: have patience blackmanalishi "god that word is a pain!" it will be worth it in the end.

PTG

9. Mep

Mep

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +460
    Life's never easy is it! :)

10. mafri1972

mafri1972

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ok, I've played for a while, and 3 words come to mind. Stunning, stunning and stunning.

I'm impressed! If anyone is struggling to make the decision, just do it and get a PW7 with decent component inputs - you won't be sorry.

One thing I have noticed, though, is a slight graininess when looking at blacks (bars at the top and bottom of DVD's, etc.) is that something in my settings/cable quality or something else? It's minor, I'm knit-picking as you can only see it if your within a foot of the screen - but it would be nice to know!

11. Mep

Mep

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +460
    have already done so my friend....just awaiting d-day!

12. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    Tis dithering try turning brightness down a bit and contrast........