1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PW7 Prog Scan/Component problem

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by blackmanalishi, Mar 29, 2005.

1. blackmanalishi

blackmanalishi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all,

I recently purchased a JVC THS5 Home Cine kit, which has both SCART and Component out. I tried connecting the Component out to the component board on my PW7 and am getting no picture whatsoever.

The only menu options I can find on the JVC switch between Prog Scan (which I believe is what they recommend when using component), RGB, Y/C, and Composite. None of these produces any picture through component out, although the SCART works fine.

I know the PW7 component board works because I route my Xbox through it.

Is it possible there's a menu option on the PW7 I need to change, or could the two devices be incompatible? All JVC offered as a solution was that their unit might need replacing, which is possible, but I want to make sure it's nothing I'm doing wrong before going down that route.

Cheers!

2. Mep

Mep

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +474
    hello mate, it sounds like you are doing everything correctly and there is no reason they would not be compatible, it does sound like your JVC may not be outputting component. On set up on the panny signal setting should say comononent / rgb-in select

3. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    Does the scart still work when prog scan is enabled? Usually this disables all but maybe composite. If it's not doing that, I'd bet the component output is not working.

4. blackmanalishi

blackmanalishi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks to both of you, you've pretty much confirmed my suspicions. :smashin:

MAW - I'll answer your question tonight when I get home.

Incidentally, I managed to get hold of a component to SCART cable, which also did not work, but I'm not sure if it should have done or not! :suicide: When I plugged the SCART end into the JVC and other end into the screen, Prog Scan gave a picture but was unwatchable - Composite was the only option. I think when I plugged the Component end into the JVC and the other end into the PW7 SCART socket I got no picture at all, which again supports the "no output" theory.

I suppose the only other thing it could be is the component to component cable I'm using, which I haven't tested on any other device as nothing else I own has a similar connection at both ends. I may pick up another cable on the way home tonight and test that, and if no joy will call Empire tomorrow for a replacement...

Cheers!

5. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    If you've got a maplins near you, for £5 you can buy a 75ohm phono to BNC lead. Connect this as the green cable, the picture should appear in glorious, er, black and white. If not, there is no sync being sent. Of course that is the other option, you might have put the green on wrong at the plasma end? Get the green on at the DVD end, and try the BNC onto each one of the terminals on the plasma, well in fact don't bother with the middle one.

6. blackmanalishi

blackmanalishi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Great, thanks again - I was already scouring Maplin's site just as I read this! :thumbsup:

7. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    Dead useful they are too. I wouldn't use that for permanent connection, but to let you diagnose a fault, it's ideal. I think your problem might involve a little blushing, the more I think about it. Go swap your green cable over. Getting the other 2 right is easy from there, though the effects of getting it wrong are quite interesting. Don't drop acid whilst doing it, for sure.

8. blackmanalishi

blackmanalishi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Problem solved, and very little blushing required fortunately - looks like the cable I was using was a dud, as the replacement from Maplin worked a treat!

Thanks (as usual!) for all your help. :thumbsup:

9. Mep

Mep

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +474
    hurrah!! :)