1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PW7 price at Panasonic shop, have a guess i dare you...

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by Leigh_1973, Oct 2, 2004.

1. Leigh_1973

Leigh_1973

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    My local panny shop was getting some PW7's in this/next week, that were going to be setup properly, ive seen one in Bentalls but it wasnt setup properly, and since its only down the road its ideal to go have a 'quick see'

Anyway it turns out the ones they got in all flew straight out the door, so theyve not got one on display yet, but hopefully will on tuesday. I thought for a laugh i'd ask how much they were (not intending to but there anyway, as i know there more expensive than most places!) so i asked.... the phone went quiet and i could hear the ruffling of paper while they guy on the other end tried to find the price.... then, 'right then the price for a 42" PW7 without terminal board or stand is.......'

Go on have a guess....

£3800!!!!!! LMFAO!!!! i said, your joking right? he said not thats the correct RRP, i told him you cant get it for pretty much half that price and hung up.

What i cant believe is that theyve sold some to some poor sod at that price!!!!! :suicide:

2. jimg

jimg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
  3. lovegroova

lovegroova

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +293
    I bought my Panny 6 from Shop@Panasonic and they were more than happy to price match the best net price I found so it may be worth a try.

4. AV Junky

AV Junky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +67
    Saw the PW7 on sale in Selfridges yesterday for £2499 - are they're not exactly known for being cheap!

5. AV Junky

AV Junky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +67
    By the way, the picture from a Bose unit via RGB scart was very nice indeed. And no, they weren't showing Finding Nemo/Toy Story etc. on it for a change! The few minutes of Jurassic Park I saw were very enjoyable.

6. twiddle

twiddle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I was at Selfridges yesterday and wasn't impressed by the PW7. The PW6 (via S-Video) looked much better. Lots of noise and 'jaggies' on the PW7. I asked to see the same film on both (Jackie Chan film - not sure which) just in case it was the DVD, but the PW7 just didn't look good. Must have been down to the DVD player as I can't imagine that the PW7 is worse than the PW6. Not sure which to go for now!

7. AV Junky

AV Junky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +67
    If you're seriously thinking of buying, then ask for a demo of both sets with same film, same DVD player and same connection method. They'll still be some difference of course due to set-up and the older PW6 being better 'run-in', but at least the video processing should be easily compared.

Sorry to open the can of worms, but why the h*ll don't they connect the things up to a decent prog-scan dvd player? It's not brain surgery, is it?

8. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    Not to you, mate, no. But then the average department store assistant seems not to understand anything more than the yellow lead. It is marked 'video' after all.

9. AV Junky

AV Junky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +67
    I was impressed that they managed to use scart on this particular one. Amazing how many 42" sets I see that are hooked up using composite. I've even seen one hooked up to a DVD player using scart, but when I flicked back and forth between the inputs it turned out that the DVD player was set for composite output!

10. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    All normal. What amazes and horrifies me 1 year in to my own custom install business is the referrals we get. Typical phonecall goes something like this: Hello, I've seen one of your installs, I had a plasma installed, but Mr And Mrs Smith's picture is much better than mine, could you come round and see if you can do the same for me? So round I go, if I have time, and guess what? The gear is in the bottom of the airing cupboard 25m away down the corridor, and the fine Toshiba plasma is connected with what must be at least a 30m composite cable. The picture is as you'd expect. But the house has been built around this composite cable, and getting even a cat5 to the screen makes them turm white with the horror of the wallpaper damaged. Who is out there doing this? Not me, and not Liam! My nearest rivals in business hosted Event 2, surely not them! Bring back hanging, that's what I say.

11. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    hate to be a know it all but no Bose unit (i have ever seen) has RGB scart out put they are all composite, S-video or component Y Pb Pr..... BOSE lifestyle dont even have scart sockets...

12. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    Me too, though no bose expert, apart from the odd oscilloscope trace. I've never seen one with component, though seen a pretty fair s-video feed.

13. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    Ah ah trade secret matey but lifestyle 18, 28 and 35 will all output interlaced component and loooks awsome on a VHA....

14. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    Still way overpriced, underspecced speakers, outperformed by jap all in ones.

15. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    yeah.......... But BOSE has an AWSOME marketing machine...... Where else can you spend £2.5k on a system killed by a £1000 system....

16. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    You're right, nowhere else on earth, nor even in a galaxy far far away. Maybe Douglas Adams could dream up a place.

17. Dean

Dean

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +178
    Bose are good for in-car systems, my dad's merc has an excellent custom bose system with a sub :devil:

18. ianh64

ianh64

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +63
    I don't call Bose's marketing amchine AWSOME. If it was, Bose wouldn't be doing demo's at shows. I came out laughing at the last one I was present at. "Hi everyone, our Bose xyz goes this loud and has lots of bass. You can sit anywhere in the room because of the technology that we use, unlike a stereo system that has only one sweet spot. The sound reflects off the walls and..." everything becomes muddled in the process. If you have an overrated product, best not to let people hear it before they buy.

-Ian

19. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    BOSE make some very good speakers but their lifestyle systems are poop but hyuge numbers of the population listen with their eyes......... and its their money i have parrell demonstarted systems and informed customers still buy BOSE even after they have admitted it doesnt sound as gooid as they alternative system

20. AV Junky

AV Junky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +67
    It's those cute little cube speakers that do it for these poor people!

It was definitely connected via scart, as I looked round the back of the plasma. I could have remembered wrong about the Bose unit - they definitely had one going (they always do - lots of potential 'Bosers' going through Selfridges!), but perhaps it was the PW6 that one was connected to. Point is that the PW7 looked very nice connected to a DVD player through (by appearances) RGB scart.

21. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    I have a bose speaker in bits to show my potential bose customers, the I show them a Gallo....

22. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,215
  23. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    Yes, a cube. They have little cardboard drivers like CPU speakers. Horrid beyond belief. The big uns I have no experience of, but they sure are ugly!

24. t0by

t0by

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Just for the purposes of amusement and to kill some time during my lunch break, I thought I would drop into my local Panasonic shop at Brent Cross in North London to see if they had a PW7 and to see if they could answer some of my questions. It didn't start very well...

"What are the main differences between the PW6 and PW7?"
    "There aren't any differences, sir."
    "Er, right. So, er, why have they released the PW7?"
    "They always release new models at this time of year, sir."
    "What, even if they're the same as the old ones?"
    "Yes, sir."
    "Right. OK, well what about the new HDMI board functionality in the PW7, for instance?"
    "I'm sorry, sir?"
    "I believe that its possible to put an HDMI board into the PW7?"
    "Oh, erm. Yes. That's not available yet, sir."
    "Right, but you're familiar with it?"
    "Yes, sir."

I could go on, but, do you know what, I really can't be bothered to. What a complete sham. I might as well have been speaking to a bloke on a market stall selling cauliflowers.

And then they have the audacity to try and sell them for hundreds and hundreds pounds more than online retailers.

Absolutely :censored: unbelievable!

25. Leigh_1973

Leigh_1973

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    Pretty much my experience of my local Panny shop, like you say, a complete sham.

When i asked about differences he started talking about the integrated speakers!!!! :laugh: :suicide:

26. Darwock

Darwock

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I had a similar experience when I called them up to ask about a projector... the guy made me wait while he checked the website for answers to my questions - then said he would phone technical to ask (I was only asking about throw distances ***) and eventually he called me back and gave me the answer to some useless question that I hadn't actually asked.

27. Leigh_1973

Leigh_1973

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    Just rang them again to see if they had one setup to demo, to be told the PW7 hasnt been released yet. We'll be getting them in about 7-10 days.

:censored: