PW7 overly white

clarky78

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Sorted my Girlfriends parents out with a 37" PWD7 and other bits and they're really chuffed except for this one thing. It's too bright, you just can't change it, i played with everything i could find, but if theres anything white on the screen it just bleaches out the rest of the surrounding screen. It's actually pretty damn annoying, we were watching rock school, and when the white shirts or the sky was in shot, you couldnt see outlines or anything. Imagine a white shirt, you can't see the creases and shades, it's just a huge white blob. Someone please offer some advice on how to solve this.

thanks

Take it out of dynamic mode and select cinema.
Turn down contrast/brightness to below 50%.
Run plasma for approx. 200 hours then get someone to isf calibrate it.

clarky78,

Agree fully with UKDAN. If whites are washed out to the extent that you are suggesting then contrast is way too high. The "picture mode" loads up default contrast settings - go for natural or cinema and be prepared to reduce contrast even so.

I dont remember the exact settings but i could turn the brightness down to minimum and it had very little effect at all. contrast is at around half. The tv has had 200 hours use by now, and is in cinema mode, but i doubt very much they will commit to an ISF. Can someone just recommend some settings that work that i can use as a base, because i seriously cant do anything with it.

i'll have to check, i can't remember the model numbers. It's a Pana s27 dvd or something, a sagem set top box, both linked through a daewoo switching box to the panel via VGA.
In hindsight i'm wondering if the daewoo box has a brightness control which could be causing problems, as no matter how much i reduce the contrast and brightness on the screen the whites are blurry and washed out.

I except a 'Pro' could set it up better, if for no other reason than because he'll have equipment to configure it, but they won't pay for it so no point me suggesting it. I will however oneday justify getting someone to do mine...

what are you using to get scart (hopefuly RGB) into the VGA input? and yes it may well have brghtness control in the STB (i hope to god your not using the "plasma Tuner box" Richer sounds supply made by daewoo are you? if so thats the problem it is in one word a "Stinking Heap Intorreable Trash" rubbish

i agree with HornyDragon about the tuner box. getting rid of it was the best thing i ever did. my picture also improved when i got rid of my scart switcher.

clarky79,

I am not trying to sell my services - honestly (Rule 7 etc wouldn't allow that anyway) - just trying to help. Washed out whites have nothing much to do with brightness - it is contrast that you need to be thinking about, though having read further it seems you have tried that as well. Tuner box strikes again?

Have you tried adjustin the input level in the advanced menu under picture settings??

hornydragon said:
...... and it needs to be sorted (ie scrapped)

Subtle, but to the point, I like! ;)

OK, yes it is unfortunately the deawoo switching box (its not a tuner), we purchased this because it was cheaper than buying a board for the plasma and using that through the amp for video switching (though i would have prefered to do that myself)...

So you really believe this switcher is causing the issue? all it does is send whichever signal too the VGA. And yes the STB and DVD are both using RGB scart.

I am thinking it might be an outside influence i.e a setting in either the STB or daewoo thing thats causing the problem. I havent watched a DVD there to see if that suffers from the same problem but if it doesn't surely then it can't be the daewoo box and must be the STB. I guess i'll have to go there and investigate further...

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom