1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PW7 or VR5

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by nheather, Feb 1, 2005.

1. nheather

nheather
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,522
    It's going to be 42" and, under strict instructions, it must be silver.

I was all set on the Pany PW7 and then someone threw the VR5 into the equation.

At the moment I only have RGB SCART but I would expect to upgrade the DVD soon to PAL Progressive Component.

To be honest I'm not that interested in HD. In my opinion it will be years before Sky get a significant number of HD broadcasts - look at how few Dolby Digital 5.1 broadcasts there are even now. Also if you are an early adopter I reckon you will pay a fortune for the new HD Sky Box.

Having said that, I don't want to knowing close the HD avenue if I don't have to.

The attractions of the VR5 are:

(i) Lots of inputs. If I do upgrade my DVD I won't have to fork out another £150 for a component board

(ii) Might be HD ready - is this true. Basically I have read the 'Mega Test' and there were lots of 'Yes It Does' and 'No It Doesn't' comments so that in the end I wasn't sure whether it does support 720@50 or not.

I'm not prepared to wait to see what might come out of Sky in the future and I'm not prepared to pay the present HD prices, so ...

QUESTION 1
    =========
    Does the VR5 support HD in 720@50 format?

QUESTION 2
    =========
    In terms of SD picture quality is it 'no contest' in favour of the Pany or are they very close?

Cheers,

Nigel

2. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    Suggest you read the mega test results mate

3. nheather

nheather
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,522
    I did but by the time I got to the end of the thread I still wasn't clear on the answer because there were a lot of "No It Doesn't", "Yes, It Does" and "Then Your A Better Man Than I" type posts.

The VR5 manual that I have seen, states that the HD modes are 1080I, 1035I and 540P which suggests that it doesn't do 720 at all, be it 50Hz or 60Hz.

Cheers,

Nigel

4. philthyanimal

philthyanimal

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    At least someone else is a confused as me.
    Just to jump in here nheather if you don't mind, i'd like to know if adding an iscan hd would get round the problem with a pw7. I'd rather have the better PQ and at least know that for another outlay in a couple of years time i'd be able to watch sky hd

5. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    OK guys the NEC manual has NO support for 720p @ 50Hz FACT.
    If it works bonus, but it will not be plug and play........somepeople have got it to work
    AN IScan HD/HD+ will sort any issue out with HD by doing FRC (frame rate conversion) from 50>60Hz which is fully supported by the panny, Also if SKy do put analogue outs (component) on the STB it will be plug and play with the panny whcih accepts RGBHV and YUV signals at 720p @50 and 60Hz

6. philthyanimal

philthyanimal

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    do they both support hdcp through the DVI input,(i'm not doubting you mr dragon)but i read the HD will only passthrough.

7. cj

cj

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +74
    I own both a Panny PW7 and a NEC VM5 (black VR5). I've taken the PW7 to my parents house and I'm currently using the VM5 myself.

HD - how do you conclude the the NEC won't be "plug and play" for 720@50 via DVI? What did you use for this "plug and play" test?

Does the NEC not support these as well? You word it as if it doesn't.

8. Mojito

Mojito

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    VR5 supports all HD formats at all frequencies from Pioneer 868 via DVI, and yes, it's HDCP. Four people I know who have this combo also confirmed that it works without problems. Plug and play, no tweaking needed. There was also a link on this forum to a German NEC website, which stated support of 1080i and 720p @50.

9. peezee

peezee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I posted that link to a NEC Germany site, which states full HD compat. at 50Hz for the XR3. There's no mention of that on the corresp. VR5 page, but there's no reason to believe it would be different, esp. b/c as you say many people have posted here to inform us they're having no problem whatsoever with their VR5/VM5 at 720p50 or 1080i50, one guy even posted screenshots of his VR5 while it was switching to and then operating under 720p50 (IIRC).

OTOH, MAW and HornyD seem to have trouble having the NEC's they've played with work normally with these HD formats... :confused:

Not sure what to make from all this - ah but yes: I'll make sure I have HD (that's High Def, not HornyDragon :rolleyes: ) fully tested on the VR5 before purchasing. :rolleyes:

10. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    we were using an Iscan HD+ to convert 576p i think it was from a denon 3910 or Panny S97 via a HDMI>DVi lead to the Iscan HD+ which was upconverting to 720p @ both 50 and 60 Hz Locked and unlocked. Panasonic support 720p and 1080i over analogue at both 50 and 60 IIRC it is the Digital and hence HDCP that is the issue. I personally think that there is an oddity to the 868i which makes it work....What it is dont know but in my testing it wont work and in MAW's he got a picture but not a very nice one. XM3 and XR3

11. cj

cj

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +74
    Well forgive me for thinking that's not really much of a "plug and play" test as you put it.

As does the NEC does it not?

Actually, does the Pioneer 868 via DVI work into the PW7 at 50 and 60hz?

12. Loada

Loada

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +48
    Well, I'll state it again, just for the record. My VR5 appears to support 720p @50hz. I've just watched R2 "Shaun of the Dead" using it. The screen reports the signal as "1280x720, 50hz" from my Panasonic S97 via a HDMI->DVI cable (the player is outputting "750p"). I've also had the same results using a Pioneer 868 via DVI (a considerably more expensive player). Several others have reported similar, including a guy who has it working with an IScan scaler and he's also posted screenshots.
    I think maybe confusion reigns because the mega-testers couldn't get the NEC XR3 (the "hi-res" bigger sister of the VR5) to work @50hz using an IScan and the mega-test results were more vague about the VR5 performance.

Don't take my word for it - after all, I could be lying because I have a VR5 that doesn't do 720p@50hz really and I'm just upset and struggling to come to terms with my £1600 paperweight. As ever, you are urged to go and see the displays for yourself, obviously include a 720p@50hz test in your demo, just to be sure.

As an aside, the VR5 manual does NOT include 720p@50hz in it's list of supported resolutions. I'd suggest this is a typo or perhaps NEC had not spent a great deal of time testing for it and were reluctant to include it officially. In that case, it's a bonus that it works.

Hope that helps.

13. cj

cj

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +74
    So as it stands the VR5 can work with 720@50hz signals via DVI, but the PW7 100% doesn't?

And via analogue there are no differences?

So if Sky bring out a box that only has HDMI/DVI you are 100% definitely out of luck with a PW7 (unless you buy a £1000 scaler for FRC etc.), but with the NEC you've got a good chance of it working.

14. Mojito

Mojito

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    HD, why didn't you plug your DVD player directly to the NEC? May be IScan is the problem?

15. creative-av

creative-av

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +56
    As HD has stated that the test panals are still setup at AVSales, can someone there not try out Mojito's suggestion above. Would only take 5mins and would put a quick end to the "does it/doesn't it" support 720@50hz argument, sorry I mean debate :D

16. Roswell

Roswell

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I had a demo of PW6 and NEC VR5 and wouldn't rule out the NEC from what I saw. The NEC was a lot brighter than the PW6 and though the PW6 would look good seen alone, next to the NEC it looked a bit dull. The NEC though, actually looked TOO bright and the whites seemed too loud for me. I thought the blacks looked fine and quite black enough, and I might be wrong as it was hard to tell, but I thought the NEC handled movement very slightly better than the PW6 too. I tried some DVDs and Sky.

Of course I don't know how the screens were set up and I am new to plasmas, but the NEC looked a credible screen and I'd want to wait and see more reports on it and especially any more info about screen burn which seems to be a concern. Maybe it isn't so much of a problem when it's run in but on that count I'm leaning towards PW7 for the moment as it is an improvement over the PW6 on screen burn and supposedly 10% brighter than the PW6. I'll go to the Bristol Show and try to see some more of both.

Maybe the Bristol Show will convince me otherwise, but on the HD/SD question, I'm not sure if it is worth getting into HD at the moment. It seems to me you can spend twice the dosh on a good HD screen which MIGHT work later with Sky, or you can buy a good SD screen now and the saved money will buy an even better HD screen in 2 or 3 years because prices will have dropped a lot by then. There won't even be much HD available until then anyway so you won't be missing anything. Maybe even an SED screen will be available by then without the plasma shortcomings? You've then got a spare screen and only spent the same money! Someone put me right on this if I'm missing something, but I don't see there's very much to be gained from HD at the moment apart from being on the bleeding edge of technology.

Anyway Sky probably looks better on a SD screen for now. On that subject, don't think of watching Sky on anything but component inputs. That's one thing I found out from the dem. Sky quality is really borderline for a 42" screen and you can't get away with anything less or it is unwatchable - like in High Street shops.

17. cj

cj

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +74
    Believe me if I was at all unhappy with the NEC it would be at my parents' house intstead of the PW7 :laugh:

18. nheather

nheather
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,522
    I 'third' that excellent proposal.

At least I now feel vindicated in not being able to tell one way or another from the recent threads.

Cheers,

Nigel

19. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    Because
    1)It is not my DVD player
    2)that doesnt prove it will work with true HD signals
    3)I asked that very question but the Pio 435 XDE had no problems