1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PW7 - NTL Via JS RGB to VGA or Component Via Panny DVD Recorder ?

Discussion in 'Cable TV & Virgin Media TV' started by stevegant, Mar 11, 2005.

1. stevegant

stevegant
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Ok here goes .....

Currently I have NTL (Pace) connected to my PW7 via SCART board. Not entirely happy with some of the digital artifacts that I see on some (poor) cable channels. Considering 2 options at present :

1. Buy a JS RGB to VGA and connect NTL that way.

2. Buy a Panny DVD recorder and connect NTL via SCART to DVD recorder and then out from recorder to Plasma via component out.

Which of these options is likely to give me the better picture quality and less obvious digital artifacts ?

Thanks.

2. Supersonic72

Supersonic72
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Out of interest, which channels look bad???

3. stevegant

stevegant
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Box is a PACE 4001 I believe. In general I find that channels such as Discovery look very bad. BBC1/ITV look OK but still see some blocky artifacts on plain backgrounds. I am also struggling to set contrast/brighteness/colour so that it looks good across all NTL channels - at present some look too dark and some too bright ?

By the way, I have DVD connected via Component and the images are stunning.

4. Mep

Mep

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +460
    Have tried both and option 1 based upon my own experience (albeit with sky pace box and not NTL) will give better results, option 2 gives good result but 1 is better. Also option 2 can in some cases cause lip sync issues.

5. stevegant

stevegant
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    MEP, thanks for pointing out potential lip-sync issues.....don't wanna fix the picutre and then break the sound !

6. Mep

Mep

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +460
    you sure don't :)

7. Brooktop

Brooktop

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +86
    mep - seeing as you bring up lip sync, thought I'd ask about it. I recorded a prog the other night (Banned in the UK). I have never noticed lip sync issues before, yet parts of this prog did have, but not all! Was it just a quirk of the FV recording? I dare say that I'll now be watching for it like a hawk.

8. Mep

Mep

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +460
    well I used to get it on sky sometimes, various progs and couldn't get rid of it without changing channels and then back again or resetting sky+ box.....never had it coming and going without me stepping in so I imagine in that case it may have been the recording and not your equipment.

9. stevegant

stevegant
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Brooktop - do you have your Panny Freeview Box SCART output connected to your PW6 via the DVD recorder using the component output ? Just interested to know if the picture quality is better than directly connecting the freeview via SCART to the plasma ?

10. Selectortone

Selectortone
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Brooktop, I have both connections. I have my NTL box connected via a JS RGB>VGA box which is looped through my Panny E55 DVD Recorder into the VGA port. The E55 is also connected via component - so when the E55 is switched off the NTL box connects via RGB, when the E55 is switched on it connects via component. (The reason I have it set-up this way is that it will allow me to add a dedicated DVD player (using the component connection) when the wallet has recovered from the investment in the PWD7).

Both pictures are excellent, I'd be happy with either. Buying a DVD recorder of course means that you'll have a DVD recorder (to state the obvious) and I notice E55s are down to £170.00 now at Richer Sounds.

ONE IMPORTANT THING TO REMEMBER: either way you will lose auto-aspect switching so you'll either have to switch aspect manually or bite the bullet and invest in one of these or something similar.

11. Brooktop

Brooktop

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +86
    Yep - I just have it connected from the component out to the VGA in. Picture is excellent (and others say it is too) but I don't have a scart board to compare it. I was toying with the idea of getting a scart board, not to see if the PQ is any better - but so I can watch one prog and record another. Afraid I've other priorities at the moment (saving for a new car :D )

I believe component offers superior PQ than scart anyway.

With regard to auto-switching, it's not really an issue because the vast majority of my viewing is DVD or FV - so I just leave it on 16:9. TBH, I had auto-switching on my old Sony Wega and I kept the auto correct function off, because it was annoying during ad breaks (different formats broadcast) and on dark scenes, when it thought it was picking up black bars so would jump to/from zoom or smart.