PW7 Loss Of control with JS converter????

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs Forum' started by Vilaubas, Jan 7, 2005.

1. Vilaubas

Vilaubas
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Before I spash out on the PW 7, I'm planning to use it with a RGB to Component (YUV) Video Converter from JS, digibox and Pioneer TH-42PW7B

will I lose the ability to adjust the colour and aspect ratio of the set? and will I find this a problem?

What doed everybody else do?

Cheers,
    Vilaubas

2. blackmanalishi

blackmanalishi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've not used the RGB-> Component box, but wouldn't you be better off getting a Component board for your PW7 (both BNC and RCA versions are available for under £100) and a component lead?

You could also consider the JS RGB 2 VGA converter which seems to be well supported on this forum, and which I'll be getting soon for my PW7 hopefully...

3. swarrans

swarrans
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    A few points to bear in mind:-
    1. If you intend to input YUV through the VGA port bear in mind you can't on the PW7 but can on the PW6. Therefore if you want a PW7 you will need to get a component board OR a JS RGB to VGA converter.
    2. You can of course adjust the colour and aspect ration of your plasma using these connections BUT the screen will not auto switch aspect ration like it would if you used a scart input board.

I have a PW6 using a JS RGB to YUV converter into the VGA port and it's great!

Simon

4. JonStatt

JonStatt

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +445
    To clarify, JS make two converters, one to VGA, and one to component.

The VGA option will not allow you to adjust colour or access some of the widescreen modes like Just.

The component option will allow both colour and all widescreen modes to be selected (albeit not automatically)

Jonathan

5. Smeicy

Smeicy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am using the JS RGB->VGA converter with a PW7 (37") and I use Just 90% of the time.

Smeicy

6. JonStatt

JonStatt

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +445
    Thats interesting! Perhaps the PW7 has this as an improvement over the PW6. On my PW6, when anything comes in as VGA, there is a restricted set of widescreen modes (and no colour adjustment).

Can you confirm there is still no colour adjustment on the PW7 with VGA?

Jonathan

7. Rash

Rash

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am thinking of going down the route of PW7 + RGB->VGA converter. Can you adjust the colour? If not do you find that to be a problem?

Also has anyone tried the PW7 + RGB->YUV + Component board. Does this produce as high quality results as the VGA route?

I can live without auto swtiching of aspect, but I'm worried about not being able to adjust the colour.

8. Smeicy

Smeicy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You cannot adjust the colur, tint or use Panasonic Auto while using the RGB->VGA connection. All other funtions seems to work.

Smeicy

9. blackmanalishi

blackmanalishi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My Component board will be arriving any day now so I don't yet know for sure, but the threads I've seen tend to suggest the picture is greatly improved over, for example, SCART. :thumbsup:

10. gizlaroc

gizlaroc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +796
    I would worry about not being able to adjust the colour on my PW6 as I have it on around -6, having said that there is probably a setting in the service menu to knock it down a little if you need to.

I have tried the component and the vga and there is very little in it, so I kept the component, far easier to use as I don't ever have to touch anything other than my processor remote to switch inputs.

11. Remboy

Remboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I recently bought a JS Tech RGB to VGA for PW6 and was very disappointed in the result. I found inability to adjust colour a big problem and felt improvement in picture quality over Scart was minimal. Will be selling the RGB to VGA converter.

12. -Jay-

-Jay-
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +135
    Hmm that's the converter i'm getting and am now thinking, it might not be a good idea if i have to settle for the colour on screen? what if it's too strong in colour is there anything that can be done?

Cheers Jay

13. Rash

Rash

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks,

Sounds like I might be best going for the RGB-> Component route. I have an amp that will swtich 2 component inputs so it should also be less complex for the missus to cope with.

14. gizlaroc

gizlaroc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +796

And isn't that worth a little sacrifice in quality ;)
    Just so you don't have to listen to "how do I get the bloody TV on!?" everytime she wants to watch something.

15. Rooboy

Rooboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Which widescreen modes on a PW7 will work when using the JS RGB>VGA converter?

16. rizingdamp

rizingdamp

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Can you tell me where you located the component boards for under £100?

There seems to be a disitint lack of them at the moment. AV sales seems to be implying that they won`t have any until February...thats for RCA and BNC. So if you know of anywhere that have any I will be most thankful.

Thanks.

17. Piers

Piers

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +229
    Just, 4:3, zoom, and 16:9.

Piers

www.homecinemaengineering.com

18. blackmanalishi

blackmanalishi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Dunno if they're in stock, but here's the link:

http://www.av4business.co.uk/panasonic/html/plasma.htm

BNC Component £80 including delivery (excluding VAT).

I do know that very few retailers have any stock due to some issues with Panasonic (one of their cargo ships caught fire and the entire payload was lost, then a replacement got stuck in the Suez canal apparently...).

Good luck...!

19. Vilaubas

Vilaubas
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    blackmanalishi,
    I've learned through the threads that the JS converter was the way to go for the best picture but I don't want to lose the screen adjustments and am a bit confused with all the talk of RCA/BNC and YUV, are these the component types?

If I go for a component board fitted to the screen will I need anything between the AV amp PioneerVSX-C402-S and screen? or can the money I save not getting the JS converter go towards the component board???

(As you can tell I'm not up on all these different types of signal and connections)

Cheers,
    Vilaubas.

I've not used the RGB-> Component box, but wouldn't you be better off getting a Component board for your PW7 (both BNC and RCA versions are available for under £100) and a component lead?

You could also consider the JS RGB 2 VGA converter which seems to be well supported on this forum, and which I'll be getting soon for my PW7 hopefully...

20. Smeicy

Smeicy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    16:9, Just, 4:3, zoom. I don't miss the Panasonic Auto mode. It is really lousy compared to the Auto mode on Philips and totally hopeless compared to Bang & Olufsen.

... And I don’t find the missing color adjustment options (when using RGB->VGA) a problem on the PW7. Even if I had the opportunity my settings would be just around “0”.

But I am pretty sure that you can adjust the color somewhere in the service menu – if needed.

I live in Denmark (and use digital cable-tv) so I don’t know if the signal over here is different from the UK.

Smeicy

21. Vilaubas

Vilaubas
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Cheers for the advice, Hornydragon is hopefully going to give me a bit more advice re connectivity of the PW7 and the amp I'm fancying- the pioneer vsx 402, there seems to be a bewildering amount of ways to connect up components, some of them from what I've read on the threads aren't the best way to go(scart)

Vilaubas.

22. SILVERBACK

SILVERBACK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +74
    i have to say now i know you cant adjust colour etc using the JStech box im a little bit mistified at how it can be held in such high regard.surely you would need FULL functionality with such a device.

23. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,218
    Silver back the point of RGB is that it has set colour levels and need no messing around with by untrained consumers...........(have the output devices calibarted so they output the correct RGB voltages and hence you have superb PQ and no need for fiddly buttons (amazing how soap stars dont look so tanned on a properly calibrated screen)

24. SILVERBACK

SILVERBACK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +74
    after all my searching on the plasma forum i never come across this.so there isnt ANY downsides to not being able to control colour etc with the RGB>vga? and has anyone come across any instances when they have needed to tone down something and not been able to ? but horny dragon dont you need to tone down some of the settings when you first get the plasma ?

25. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,218
    in the plasma (contrast and brightness) but colour is a balancing act all a clour control does is shift the balance from red to blue
    Image a see saw red on one end green is the pivot and blue the other and you want it horizontal all a colour control does is allow you to tip the balance, with RGB its held solid and horizontal.......................

YOU DO NOT NEED COLOUR CONTROL FOR RGB sources....... for others it is needed component, S-video, composite etc

26. SILVERBACK

SILVERBACK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +74
    ok.yet again cheers for the help.all this plasma connection talk is giving me a headache so god knows what your is like mate lol.

27. JonStatt

JonStatt

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +445
    I have to disagree with this. I have seen many RGB sources that are either over saturated or under saturated. It depends on the output of each component. Of course you can get the display device calibrated to a standard, but that is no good if the output device is not also calibrated.

An example of a device that is so far out, is that Daeweoo tuner box that people keep asking about on here. It is so over saturated that it is almost unwatchable. But I can assure you this is not an isolated incident. For example, my ondigital box fed through Tivo. The ondigital box is less saturated than the Tivo output of the same signal.

Also colour control does not shift between red and blue. It is an absolute control of the amount of saturation. Therefore it is shifting from pure gray towards colour. With an RGB source, the application is slightly different, but at a very simplistic level, imagine a specifc pixel is marked as Red+9Green+0Blue+0, the grey equivalent would be Red+3Green+3Blue+3. This would provide the same luminance but without colour. The colour adjustment would be moving from the original input towards they grey latter as you adjusted it downwards.

The tint control on the other hand is shifting between two colours and comes in the form of an offset to every red value on oneside of the tint control.

Jonathan

28. gizlaroc

gizlaroc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +796
    I have to agree with Jonathan, RGB should be perfect, but I have yet to meet a device that gives out a saturation level that appeals to everyone.
    And as he said, saturation should if done correctly increase the level on red, green and blue together not shift it from red through to blue.
    Whilst setting up Scottyboys HD7 with his Lumagen we went in RGB/H/V and the screen was far to over saturated, we had to knock the Lumagen saturation back by around 10-12% to get a realistic colour, if he had not had this option in teh Lumagen he would have been stuffed.

29. trent steel

trent steel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +766
    Can any one tell me if the TY42TM6AB component board can be used on the pw7 plasma?, i have seen this item for sale @£58 but it says it is for the D 6 series

30. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,218
    they will if you can find em "in stock"