PW7 - JS RGB to Component or VGA Better Choice?

rhodos

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Hi all - I'm nearly there with an order - even bought a stand this morning :)

I've seen a lot of suggestions NOT to use the scart board on PW6/7 and I am thinking of JS converter as advised. However I'm reluctant to lose the wife-friendly aspect ratio switching that scart gives you. The question is therefore does the JS RGB to component allow auto aspect switching on PW7 or am I as well going for the cheaper RGB to VGA?

Also is there any benefit either option has over the other for PQ?

Thanks as always.

PS. My sources will be Sony DVD RGB looped through Sky+ RGB to JS 'box'. I intend to get just the one Componenet board on PW7. I accept that when I upgrade my DVD player I can get another board and prob get better picture straight to it.

banjo21

SCART is the only interface that supports Automatic Wide Screen Switching - as soon as you start converting to VGA (RGBHV) or YUV Component you loose this facility.

If you do choose to convert your SCART RGB signals to VGA or YUV there is a 'cost' solution that enables you to add another 'black box' between your SCART RGB sources and the Display - for just under £100 you can add a Tridek Aspect Ratio controller that converts the SCART Wide Screen switching signal to an RS232 command to control your display.

If your planning on connecting a SCART RGB source to a TH-42PW7 Display you can do so via the Integral HD15(VGA) socket - though you are limited to using the RGB2VGA converter as these screens don't take YUV on the HD15(VGA) socket; a slight technical cock-up in the firmware on the 7 Series displays!!!

If you do choose to add a YUV Component board into the Display your then looking at using the RGB2YUV converter - there's not a great deal in it picture quality wise between RGB and YUV; you loose a very little sharpness when you convert to YUV though you do retain more menu adjustments and have the option of switching multiple YUV sources via a suitable AV Receiver should your NEW DVD player be Progressive Scan enabled.

Best regards

Joe

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom