Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

PW7 help !!

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs Forum' started by fergy93, Feb 26, 2005.

1. fergy93

fergy93
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Was on the verge of buying the pw7 and media box option from av sales, until they ran out of stock. Been told by alistair that they probably won't be getting anymore PW7's in from panasonic now.

So was looking at this option

http://www.totaldigital.biz/product_info.php/products_id/722

but after that i'm stuck. I have a freeview box (scart) and panasonic home cinema system with component out. The offer looks like it supplies a scart board, so presumably i just need a component board ?? for my dvd player, oh also a ps2 as well.

Pls any help would be much appreciated :)

2. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,218
    what panny system do you have? does it have any video inputs? there are about 50 different ways you could connect all this up!

3. fergy93

fergy93
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    sorry m8 bit new to this

its a scht-900 and no i don't think it does have any video inputs

4. JulianL

JulianL

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Wow! That's really interesting info. Did Alistair give any reason why, or maybe Alistair himself could comment? Is this because the 8 series are on their way? If so then I would be interested in the improvements vs the 7 series, and whether the commercial panels will also go up to an 8 series at the same time (or even better, Panny change their stupid 7-series policy of only supplying the consumer version in silver and also offer a black version of the 8 series consumer model).

- Julian

5. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,218
    in that case the connectivity is a bit more complex...either need an extra input card or a vidoe switcher example would be a quintro scart switcher there are component switchers which will give you better quality and as the panny scart board doesnt give the Best possibl;e picture on the plasma a JS RGB> componet converter a component switcher and component input board will give you the best quality..

6. fergy93

fergy93
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    so i i went for the qunitro scart thingy, then the freeview and dvd player would connect to that and that would connect to the scart board on the plasma is that right ?

But the scart board ain't much cop, the plasma would be mainly used for dvd's, so could i connect the freeview to the scart board (supplied), and buy a component board for the dvd player ?

It's so confusing, cheers for the help so far tho

7. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,218
    yes you can as you mention above FV and PS2 into scart switcher onto scart board in screen and get compnent card for DVD at best quality....(can even wait for Companent card and use scart for DVD short term if funds are tight.)

8. Jpfahy

Jpfahy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello,
    Like fergy93 I was looking at purchasing a pw7 plasma.
    I've been reading some of the posts by senior members who seem well up on the technical stuff for pic quality and all that, but I wanted to get a definitive answer for my individual needs....
    I would be looking for the best options for connecting multiple RGB & Component inputs through a single cable to the Plasma (looking to mount it on the wall with minimum chasing out)
    I'm on a budget and the Panasonic Tuner looks a bit OTT, surely there is another way of doing things especially if it results in 'better' picture quality for less dough? :eek:
    Here's a quick list of my stuff

Freeview Box (Nokia 221T) - RGB
    VHS Video - SCART (I'll get Sky+ ....someday)
    DVD Player - PioneerDV575a - RGB or Component
    Xbox - RGB or Component
    PS2 - RGB or Component

Can one of the more knowledgable members of the plasma forum give me any pointers. From what I've read I require a JS Converter of some sort with a SCART switcher???
    I could forget about the component side of the DVD player considering it's so cheap anyway but I was thinking of upgrading in the future. And component is usually better right?

Thanks
    Jpf

9. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,218
    if you ditch the VCR and buy a JS RGB>YUV http://www.av-sales.co.uk/html/rgb_to_component.html converter and you can get a component switcher like: http://www.av-sales.co.uk/html/avt-5842.html
    and run just componet cable to the scree (i would run a 5 core video cable and an HDMI cable for future use) a compone cable is a 3 core video so you can use the 5 core for component and if you got the dual slot input board can use compiste for the VCR (for dual slot will need a 5 RCA> BNC cable, mark grant can make you one up)

10. GiZZeRR

GiZZeRR
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Horny
    What is this 5 core video cable you talk about? I would like to get all the cables I'm likely to use in the wall at the one time to save headaches later. Also I can only see HDMI in 2 or 3m lengths.....can they be made upto 15m or is there a connector avail to join a few together.
    I want all my equipment at the other end of the room and the cabling will run under the floor.

Thanks
    John

11. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,218
    15m HDMI are available (try better cables and wireworld) but at that length will be bloody expensive so also look at Lindy DVi cables there are several types of 5 core video cable (can just 5 single strands or a bundle of 5 in a common sheath)
    CX5CV http://www.stoneaudio.co.uk/stoneaudio/products/details.asp?product=950 this can be used for component and S-video/Composite on the 5 cores or RGBHV (VGA) so very flexible when buried in a wall
    15m Wireworld starlight is approx £800!!!! but £220 gets you a better cables 15m from here: http://www.tmfsolutions.co.uk/homecinema_AVcables_bettercables_video_digital.htm

12. mark.king

mark.king
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I notice that the scart board gets a lot of stick but I have the js box and scart card and can see very little difference. I got the scart card as I still use a vidio and the scart will take composite and svidio. This is not available through the pc input using a js box. Quite like having stuff through different inputs as well cos I can use the split screen options