PW7 HD vs. SD

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs Forum' started by sapkan, Oct 27, 2004.

1. sapkan

sapkan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Does the PW7 HD panel only make a difference when viewing HDTV and PC signals? in other words is there a perceptible difference in PQ between the two when watching DVD and Sattelite TV?

2. gammmmo

gammmmo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    I've been thinking along similar lines - perhaps MAW or hornydragon can answer this one. If you play a DVD on a HD panel presumably scaling takes place so the image fills the screen to the same extent as a SD panel but I presume it will not 'make up' information to fill the gaps (as a scaler would?) but would rather stretch the image...let me know if I'm talking rubbish.

3. gammmmo

gammmmo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    Has anyone actually tried feeding a SD panel with a "proper" hidef source rather than a scaled 720p source (which I've read some people say looks best on the SD Panny) ???

4. phillfyspoon

phillfyspoon
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +76
    the plasma would scale the dvd to the panals native resolution. the more scaling done to the image the worse the picture in simple terms. there wouldnt be as much scaling on a lower res plasma. so in terms of watching dvd there wouldnt be much difference the SD would look "cleaner" IMO.

5. Shahel

Shahel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    iv run 1080i and 720p on my pw6 looks real nice but only via my xbox

6. gammmmo

gammmmo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    Shahel - perceptible difference compared with other display configuations?

7. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,218
    HD screen with HD(720p/1080i) material the dogs...... SD panel with HD material (720p) VERY VERY NICE HD screen with SD material (480p/576p) very very good! some think sky isnt quite as good as SD panel... But if you arebuying an HD panel at £3k you should spend £1k on scaling for SD feeds (as that is the majority of material for the moment) an Iscan HD is well worthit then run everything into panel a 720p, with an SD panel available at £1500 quid spending £1000 on a scaler is probably over kill but will give imporvements in PQ. its a hard balancing act..... and i would be tempeted to advise people with £3k to spend to buy an SD panel and scaler not an HD panel. in 18 months this WILL change!

8. toby_smith

toby_smith
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I am looking to buy the PHD7 since I want 1024x768 for PC connectivity, instead of the lower res PW6, plus I also want the wireless terminal board when it comes available. I intend to use an up-scaling amp to take all inputs, and then send a single component to the panel. Do I still need a separate scaler as you mention Hornydragon?

9. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,218
    Scaler would do what upscaling amp does but to a higher level.. £1000 for video conversion only means you can look at an Audio Processor like the lexicon in the classifieds for Sound and Power Amps as amps... So you have a Display, a video processor, a controller (audio processor) and some amps all tailored to the specific needs of your system.

10. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,287
    Hello all

There's more to all of this than just how many lines and pixels are on a display.

With a Panasonic SD display you have 480 lines so an NTSC signal is an ideal match with this display in terms of not relying on the Displays video processing to 'fit' the incoming signal to the pixel array.

With the same SD Display when you input a 576 line PAL signal the Display has to throw away information - so whilst you get a pretty good looking image you are loosing definition.

Another key factor in the image produced on the SD Panasonic Displays is a technique called 'Single Scan' that relies on doing multiple 'passes' of the charge that illuminates the Display and to my eyes introduces colour banding that I don't see on the Panasonic HD unit which employs the more costly 'Double Scan' technique.

If you Input a 720 line HD signal to the SD unit it has to throw information away to make it 'fit' on the 480 line pixel array - though just to make your choice doubly difficult other factors such as colour depth, contrast etc play a part in the overall' look' you achieve with any Display and the best images I've seen on the SD units are achieved when you up-convert your SD (480 and 576 line) signals to 720P using an external Video Processor and then let the SD panel 'down convert' the 720 line signals to 'fit' the 480 line pixel array.

If you Input the same 480, 576 and 720 line signals into the HD Display with its 768 line pixel array were now asking the Displays processor to 'upscale' all of the signals to best 'fill' the 768 lines of the display. We 'see' all of the detail in the original source signal but this time the Display has to 'interpolate' between actual lines of information to 'fill' in information not in the source signal.

Personally I prefer using an HD Display as I find the majority of our viewing is PAL (576) either directly to the Display or via an external Video Processor that up-converts to 768 lines better than the on-board processing in the Display.

As can be seen by the popularity of the Panasonic SD displays on the AV Forums they do a great job and fit the budget for many folk - if you have the extra budget available and want the extra detail and picture processing the HD unit offers then I'd have the HD units every time.

Best regards

Joe

11. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,287
    Toby

There's no comparison whatsoever between what an external video processor offers against the 'convenience' of an 'up-scaling' AV Receiver.

All but a very few (very expensive) AV Receiver's do anything more complex than simply converting Composite and or S-Video signals to a YUV Component signal to facilitate a single output cable from the AV Receiver.

An external Video processor is a very powerful tool (in the right hands) and has the ability to adjust just about every parameter of every Video signal you input into it.

If you really want to optimise your video signal then an external video processor in the £800+ category will easily outperform the Video processing in your Source Device and Display.

If your budget dictates then look at using an AV Receiver with on board 'up conversion' for any secondary Composite and S-Video sources; and keep an external Video Processing in your long term plans.

Best regards

Joe

12. toby_smith

toby_smith
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Thanks Joe - I will do exactly that. Now, with the potential lack of PHD7's due to getting a bit too warm...I just need to find an alternative!

13. Dutch

Dutch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +284
    Pioneer 43MXE1? Nec 42XM3?

Steve