1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PW7 DVi to Mac Mini

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by M.A.S, Jan 29, 2005.

1. M.A.S

M.A.S
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm considering taking the plasma plunge and was wondering if anyone has had any experience with the DVi connection board on a 7/6 series Panny (i hear there pretty much the same)?

I would use the Dvi connection to hook up a Mac Mini, giving access to my photo's, music and internet via a wireless netgear router (DG834G, v good piece of kit BTW)

Mac Mini

Good review of Mac Mini

The other connections i would use would be vga to free-view rgb via converter box, and component terminal board to Denon amp using video switching for prog scan DVD, PS2 and GameCube.

Any info would be greatly appreciated.

2. SILVERBACK

SILVERBACK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +73
    long story short.

"It's not the cheapest computer that you can buy, it's not the best performance that you can get for the money, but it is the cheapest ticket to OS X out there, and we're here to see if it's worth it"

you have to hand it to apple,they knock out cute looking gear with less power than its competitor and they sell by the bucketload.

3. M.A.S

M.A.S
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes but personally the important bit it is,

"it is the cheapest ticket to OS X out there"

:D

4. SILVERBACK

SILVERBACK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +73
    whats the big deal about OSX?

5. M.A.S

M.A.S
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    IMHO it's just a much better operating system than Windows, more stable, easier to use etc. Also the stuff that comes with OS X is ace (like iphoto, imove, idvd, basically iLife etc) and the comparable windows stuff would cost a bundle.

If your interested you should read these,

Part I

Part II

They are an account of a windows user and his experience with Mac and OS X (nothing to do with apple BTW!)

And i don't want this to become a Windows vs. Mac debate!

Can anyone answer my original question?

6. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,470
    Hello M.A.S

Cant see any reason not to connect the Mini Mac to a Series 6 or 7 Panasonic Display - though I'd want the 1024x768P (42") or 1366x768P (50") PHD7 Display rather than the 852x480 PW7 for use with the Computer (and its better for Video too).

If you go with a JS Technology RGB2YUV converter you could just as easily switch all of your Video sources as YUV via the AV Receiver - and best to ensure your AV Receiver has a variable Audio delay feature to compensate for any 'Progressive' processing the display may have to undertake.

Best regards

Joe

SILVERBACK - your not contemplating a MAC vs. PC OS discussion are you :)

7. M.A.S

M.A.S
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Joe

Thanks for the advice. What you suggest about all video sources to AV Amp and then to the display via componant was what i was planning. The amp i was looking at was the Denon AVR-1905, although i can't seem to find if it can do the kind of delay you mention, also i've been wondering if it can do video upscaling to componant?

Anyone have any experience with the 6/7 series panny and the dvi board?

8. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,470
    Hello M.A.S

The Denon AV Receiver you mention has 3 x YUV Inputs (it'll switch Interlaced or Progressive signals) though it lacks Audio Delay, Video Up-conversion and any form of Automated set-up routine.

If budget allowed I'd be going with the AVR-2805 to get all of the above features - though use Video Up-conversion sparingly; its a convenience feature not an image enhancer.

Your most likely going to want a JS Technology RGB2YUV converter between any SCART RGB sources and the AV Receiver - or look for a Freeview decoder such as the NetGem iPlay that can output Interlaced YUV via its SCART socket.

What's troubling you about the DVI Board?

Joe

9. SILVERBACK

SILVERBACK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +73
    lol joe i just genuinley dont know a great deal about mac`s and why all the fuss about them.from what i know (please correct me if im wrong) the extras like printers scanners memory etc are far more expensive the games are limited and its aimed at people who want to make dvds etc etc.but i have a feeling this is gonna go way off topic so any info would be great as why a machine that cant match a pc spec wise is such a great deal.

10. Peabo

Peabo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The printers, scanners and memory that go in macs are the same ones that go in pcs. Macs use the same RAM, hard drives and external peripherals as PCs; there is no such thing as 'Mac RAM' or 'Mac Hard Disks'. All printers and scanners are mac compatible too, they are therefore the same price. The only things that are 'mac specific' are the graphics cards. :lesson:

And yes, games are limited but if you want to play games, I'd suggest gettign an Xbox ;)

11. adrianl

adrianl

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    This isn't the place for a Windows v Mac debate. Given the massive dominance of Windows, and the often distorted picture of Macs given in the media and by PC World 'sales staff' etc I would think I'm doing Windows users on this forum a service by pointing out that Mac OSX is just light years ahead of Windows in elegance and simplicity (I believe in stability OSX and XP are similar i.e. excellent), not to mention (so far) devoid of any of Windows' endless virus and spyware problems. Even in XP guise Windows seems very last century to me.

Of course if you want a very cheap, very powerful machine or if you want to play games (I prefer a console for games) then of course Windows is the way to go.

generally though you are missing out on a fantastic personal computing experience by not using Mac OSX. It's not perfect but it does make using a computer a pleasure.

Adrianl

PS My PowerBook looks great conencted via VGA input to Viera

12. cwick

cwick

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +95
    M.A.S,

You'll probably be disappointed with the result if you connect up to a PWD6. From connecting my powerbook to a PWD6 DVI board, the panny only reports 640x480, 800x600 & 1024x768 for the DVI input. So no native resolution, and no widescreen resolutions (everything will look a little stretched).

You'll either have to run something like switchresX on the Mac to hack a custom resolution, or run VGA to get an acceptable resolution.

My Mac mini should be here in the next few days (it shipped from Apple on saturday), so I'll let you know how I get on.

Cheers, Carl.

13. M.A.S

M.A.S
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sliverback: Peabo is right, all that stuff is the same for PC's and macs alike. Game wise macs do lag behind, but most major releases are alvalable on the mac. here is a good site for mac games (and cos the pound is so strong against the dollar you can get v cheap games from there, i got ST elite force 2 for £10!) Also i feel i should point out that you cannot directly compare the processor speed of a mac to a PC, so a 1.25Ghz mac would be very much faster than a 1.25Ghz PC.

Joe: Nothing was really troubling me, i just wanted some first-hand info on it, just like cwick has pointed out. and thanks for the amp advice.

Thanks for the post cwick, i look forward to hear you opinion on the mac mini, you should start a thread about it in the computer hardware forum (not enough mac talk for my liking anyway!)

14. cwick

cwick

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +95
    There's a thread here with some discussion. I might start a new thread when it turns up, although I'm wary of it turning into the usual PC vs Mac debate.

15. SILVERBACK

SILVERBACK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +73
    cheers boys i`ll take the rest of my questions over to the mac vs pc thread.thanks again and sorry for robbing the thread.

16. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,470
    SILVERBACK

Its a 'touchy feely' sort of thing - you either 'get it' or you don't with the whole MAC thing; its not about the technicalities or the price!

We used to have a full time Multimedia team that consisted of Video Producers, Multimedia programmers, Graphic Designers, Database Programmers etc we had to have a 'Mac' end of the room and a 'PC' end of the room.

The Mac boys and girls came to work on Mountain Bikes (we had to install a Bike park) - ate very healthily, didn't drink caffeine and went Rock Climbing at the weekend. The PC boys on the other hand...

Best regards

Joe

17. Supersonic72

Supersonic72
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Would happily correct you on most of the points above i'm afraid but in short, the peripherals are the same as a PC (USB connections) the RAM is the same stuff, and mac people understand that to play games, buy a PS2 rather than spend £1000's on overblown videocards and uncesessary CPU speeds..

The rest is for the other PC forums, not here i'm afraid...

18. JonStatt

JonStatt

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +446
    I have a Mac Mini connected to a PW6 via VGA and not DVI at the moment. It works fine with 16:9 pixel aspect ratios. Once you hit about 1360 pixel width though, its readable and usable, but you would probably strain your eyes after a while.

Jonathan

19. M.A.S

M.A.S
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Jon

What resolutions are available with the mini connected to the pw6? Does it let you use the natural rez of the screen?

If not i saw this on another site,

In the terminal type this,

defaults write Preferences NSEnableShowAllDisplayModes YES

then reboot.

Not sure if it works, if not have a search on here for a program for custom resolutions,

http://www.macupdate.com/

There's loads of cool stuff on there not just for resolution.

20. cwick

cwick

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +95
    M.A.S.

Mine arrive this morning, had a quick play over lunch.

dvi - as expect, only about three resolutions to choose from. None native, none widescreen. SwitchresX dosesn't appear to work on the mini - but I only had a quick play. I'll spend more time on it this evening.

vga - lots and lots of resolutions to choose from. No native, and not many 16:9 resolutions, but enough for now. Didn't have time to try switchresx on the VGA, but here's what it looks like (when you don't know how to use a digital camera) ...

[​IMG]

Cheers, Carl.

21. M.A.S

M.A.S
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    That looks ace!

PQ looks pretty good, better than i expected for a non native res,

how much RAM you got in there?

22. Supersonic72

Supersonic72
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    What is DVD playback like then??

I've heard that its not as good as a 'proper' DVD player, but would you say
    this is true when on full/widescreen mode?

..I'm likely to try the same combo myself in a few weeks if all goes well
    and it'd be nice to lose a box (ie the DVD player) amongst the kit I have...

I still dont get how the resolutions work i.e, how you get 1280x768 or
    whatever it is ron a 853x480 pixel monitor??? Huhh??

Ah well...

23. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    i would sugest you guys look for a 1280 x 720 res at either 50 or 75Hz for an SD panny (dont worry about native the panels are very very good at down scaling the image to Fit.......

24. JonStatt

JonStatt

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +446
    There is indeed a 1280x720 res available (via VGA, not DVI), and is what I was playing with just recently. However, I think the refresh rate was 85Hz. Is there any particular reason why 75 or 50 would be better?

Jonathan

25. cwick

cwick

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +95
    50 or 75Hz will work better for PAL material. You'll likely get frame tearing at 85Hz (I know I do).

Just got VLC running on it, showing DigiTV streamed from the Nebula card on my PC :) Need to see if it'll run wirelessly (I very much doubt it !)

26. cwick

cwick

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +95
    M.A.S - 512Mb.

More info on this thread.

Now running at 720p, per HD's suggestion. It's strange how these panels work so well at 720p - I found exactly the same thing with a Roku HD1000 - comparing 480p (i.e. panels native res.) against 720p, and the panel clearly prefers 720p.

Cheers, Carl.