1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PW7 connectivity conundrum

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by Zooty, Nov 22, 2004.

1. Zooty

Zooty
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Dear all,

Hope you can help me with connecting my future kit up. I have read through the responses to other people's similar questions, but they only seem to give me more questions.

We've decided on a PW7 screen - we both prefer the minimalist looks of this to the Viera. However I need to connect this up in the easiest way possible for the wife (and others, babysitters, etc) to use.

The kit will consist of:
    - PW7 screen
    - Pana HS2 DVD/HDD recorder
    - VCR (for those legacy tapes)
    - Freeview box - not yet purchased (open to recommendations)
    - audio to go to 2 channel hi-fi amp for now.

There is also a wireless video-receiver which we use to bring a webcam image down for baby monitoring. It would be nice to use PIP/POP/PAP with this, which will require another terminal board on the screen.

The setup in the "Help a beginner" thread - Pioneer vsx-c402 (or maybe 502) with JS RGB->VGA converter sounds good, but I understand this doesn't pass through auto widescreen switching, and I'm sure this would drive the wife mad, and result in too much 4:3 viewing.

I could drop the RGB-VGA converter and go straight to Scart, but then how would I get the audio out? Having each source selected manually on the hi-fi amp would not go down well.

I could get a Quintro which will do the job, but I quite like the idea of being "surround ready" with the Pioneer unit. Just then need to buy speakers when SWMBO agrees.

Or I could get three Scart boards for the screen, one for VCR, one for babycam, and one for HS2 with digibox looped through. But again, what about the sound?

Thanks for any input and sorry if it's a bit of a ramble. I've got to get this right and easy to use or I'll be in the doghouse.

Cheers,
    Zooty

2. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    If you pursue the last option, VSX402 straight to scart, you will get the widescreen switching, and the amp takes the sound from the source scart connection, or a digital connection if available. The remote will turn the plasma on and off, and operate some DVD players. If you get a Pioneer freeview box, it will do that too. Not sure about the HS2 and control, I have a manual (402)in the stockroom, but I'm not there right now.

3. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
  4. Zooty

Zooty
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks MAW. I'm wondering if the widescreen switching will be a big deal after all. Manual (remote) widescreen switching might be preferable to manual (get up and walk) amp source switching.

This will be my first widescreen set up, so I'm not too clever on this subject. Most of the viewing will be Freeview or DVD, so the PW7 will be set to widescreen. If I then give it a 4:3 image what will it do? Stretch it? Or display nothing until the mode is changed?

Have been checking out some other AV receivers on AV Sales. The Pana SAXR45 has an optical audio out. Could this go to my stereo amp? Will the S-Video connections be as good as Scart, and will it do widescreen switching?

Questions, questions... thanks for any input!
    Zooty

5. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    No widescreen switching on s-video, and not as good as RGB scart. The amp will remote switch the input, the screen will automatically or manually but remotely switch widescreen, and it has a smart stretch mode for 4:3 material. Some say this is better for the screen than 4:3 and side black bars. I've never seen one damaged by this though.

6. Zooty

Zooty
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    So if the PW7 is in 16:9 mode and it gets a 4:3 picture (by VGA) it will do a smart stretch?

7. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    Panasonic 'just' mode, it's called.

8. Zooty

Zooty
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Good. Sounds like the PW7 with C502 receiver and JS RGB->VGA converter will do very nicely. Especially at current prices!