1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PW7 connection VGA vs Component (advice req)

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by randbo, Oct 27, 2004.

1. randbo

randbo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi everyone :hiya: ,

I'm looking for some advice on which connection is best for sending my freeview (may upgrade to SKY in future) and PS2 signals to a panny PW7. I will be using the HDMI board for the DVD signal from my Denon 2910 when it becomes available.

So...after reading the many posts on plasma connection I have narrowed my options down to the following:

1st option - VGA

Connect my freeview and PS2 via SCART to a JS RGB>VGA converter which will send the video via VGA to the PW7 and the audio can be sent to my Denon 2805 amp.

2nd option - Component

Use SCART to S-Video + Audio leads to connect my freeview and PS2 to the Denon 2805 amp then use the video switching and component up-conversion to send the component video signal to the PW7 (I will also need the component board for the PW7)

Any thoughts on which one of the above is best, or indeed if there is an even better option would be much appreciated.

Cheers :smashin:

2. zedzed

zedzed

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Apparently the VGA connection on the PW7 (which i have too) doesn't take a component signal (it's RGB only) - so (in the absence of any costing implications) you may want to future proof things a little by getting a component board anyway (e.g. Playstation3 / xbox 2 will have component connections).

The other thing is that using s-video to get the signal to the amp means that you'll be losing a little of the image quality (not sure if you would be able to tell though) - and even though the amp will convert it to component it's not going to be able to magic a superb signal out of an "adequate" source.

ZedZed

3. randbo

randbo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cheers ZedZed

Think the VGA route is prob best, I also discovered that the freeview box doesn't output S-Vid signal so would have to use composite link to my amp which will reduce the PQ even further.

Will also consider the component board if I can find the cash

How is the PQ with your system through the VGA?

Randbo

4. zedzed

zedzed

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    PQ through VGA is good. Some (telewest) channels are better than others - but it's not noticable really (unless you look really closely!). It's not as good as component from my DVD player (PQ is superb!) - but having read these forums I knew what to expect from "normal" TV and am happy with the results.

ZedZed

5. oreoboy13

oreoboy13

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Why dont you go via the SDI route instead?

6. paulcollins14

paulcollins14
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have my Sky box connected to a JS scart to component converter and then connected to the component input on my PW6.

DVD is connected via dvi from the Denon 3910.

I found this to be the best setup.

If I want to use my Xbox I just plug it into the scart board, have tried connecting Xbox via the JS just to see if it makes a difference (even though I know it shouldn't as our PAL Xboxes don't support Progressive scan, unless modified, thats another subject)

Paul

7. pjclark1

pjclark1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +271
    What none of you consider is that every time you convert a signal the quality gets worse. S-video is a poor quality signal in the first place, converting it to component will give you a worse than s-video quality picture.

8. zedzed

zedzed

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Do you think a direct "scart to scart" connection gives a better quality pic than inserting a JS Tech box in the middle and then connecting to VGA? (or component for that matter).

I've not seen a PW6/7 on scart - but took the generally accepted wisdom from these boards that it produces a "softer" image than the VGA or component inputs.

ZedZed

9. paulcollins14

paulcollins14
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    No comparison, scart from Sky direct to PW6 is acceptable but is dramatically improved by using the JS scart- component converter.

I would also disagree regarding upconverted svideo. If you switch any incoming source using a Denon 3805 picture quality is also greatly improved.

10. Tony8377

Tony8377

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    The problem with scart to scart isn't that the VGA converter improves the picture, it's just that the scart board itself is rubbish. If you read some of the old threads I beleive HD commented that there wasn't a need to buy a VGA converter on the viera as the scart input on that is good.

One thing worth considering is that if you ever upgrade to a scaler (iScan for as little as £150) then the VGA Converter becomes redundant as I have just found out whereas if you had gone for an RGB to Component converter you could have still used this. Swings and roundabouts really as any scaler would then make your component board pointless but something worth considering.

11. zedzed

zedzed

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    iScan for £150? Where? :) I was thinking about going down the component xbox route (which would require another component board or component switch) ... but if iscan's can be had for less than a component switch/board then that sounds good. Like you say though tony .... if I wanted to put all signals via an iScan then I'd need to change my VGA convertor for a component one.

Ahhh ... even now I've got my plasma there's still endless "fiddling" capabilities! :suicide:

ZedZed

12. pjclark1

pjclark1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +271
    the Js box scart to RGBHV is not really converting the picture.
    All it does is strip the Horizontal and Vertical sync information from the composite + mixed sync line. It then removes macrovision and feeds out the cleaned up syncs as seperate H and V at a higher level (without the composite bit). The RGB is left untouched, so no signal conversion takes place.

What no one ever seems to consider, is that component feeds are a reduced bandwith signal. When used at the same line scan rate RGBHV will always be the best. It's only because dvd players output progressive signals on componant rather than RGB outputs, that it is ever better. For any other source than progressive dvd, RGB will be the best quality signal.

Paulcollins
    sorry, but you just don't know what you are talking about, video signal standards and picture quality are about facts, not personal opinion.

13. Santy

Santy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Zed Zed

I take it the PW7 is working out JUST FINE for you mate? :)

I was going down the PW6 route for a charcoal unit (not out in PW7 until End Year) but thought F :censored: k it, gonna weigh in for a silver P7 and go with the Mordaunt Short Genie Speaker package mated to a Denon AVR-3805 (dropped my previous Bose LS 48 plans)...

You pleased with your unit then, the P7?

14. carlton

carlton

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I believe the charcoal sd panny is availabe form av-sales now but what i more interested in is the hd pw7 that i thought would be close to £3k but the special price on av is under £2600.hmmm very tempting. :)

15. zedzed

zedzed

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    My PW7 actually has a bit of a buzz problem - but I'm getting a replacement from av-sales (great service - highly recommended!). Apart from that I'm really happy with it. PQ is very good - esp. on DVD :)

ZedZed

16. Tony8377

Tony8377

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4

If you look at the for sale adds in the forum and you are quick you often see the iscans going for as little as £150 to £180, most recent one went today at 9.47am for £150. I've got access to three different scalers at the moment (Quad Scan Pro, iScan Pro and Centre Stage CS1 which will scale to the Pannys native resolution) just waiting for a component converter to arrive. I only went for a cheap Lektropaks converter this time which I wont get until monday but I can't wait to see what effect it has on the TV picture.

Haven't tried out the iScan yet but I've already noticed a massive improvement on my non-progressive dvd player via the Centre Stage and I was already happy with the DVD picture.

For £150 this has to be the way forward :thumbsup: I'll let you know if I see a noticeable improvement on the PW7. As you say, just can't stop tinkering once you've bought it, part of the fun I suppose.

17. zedzed

zedzed

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Sounds very good! My DVD player only outputs non-proessive (Sony DAVS 550) so might be a wirthwhile investment for me :) I'll need to do my research though - don't know the difference between all the models u listed! :)

ZedZed

18. paulcollins14

paulcollins14
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Paulcollins
    sorry, but you just don't know what you are talking about, video signal standards and picture quality are about facts, not personal opinion.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Interesting reply, keep your personal abuse to yourself.

For your benefit I have re checked the scart to scart connection, guess what ?

Still no comparison.

I suggest you view a few real setups before spouting technical bull****.

19. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,575
    Hello all

zedzed/Tony8377 - please be clear on the 'iScan' products your considering.

DVDO* is the Brand (the manufacturer), iScan is the Range and that range has covered (to my knowledge) four models over the past four years:

01. Silicon Image iScanPro - Deinterlacer (now discontinued)

02. Silicon Image iScanUltra - Deinterlacer with many additional features and multiple inputs (now discontinued)

03. DVDO iScanHD - Deinterlacer and Scaler for SD analogue signals with Digital Audio delay (current model)

04. DVDO iScanHD+ - NEW improved Deinterlacer and Scaler for SD and HD sources with HDCP support and Digital Audio delay (Due in Dec 04)

(*DVDO products were at one time sold under the Silicon Image brand).

The HD and HD+ units will accept an RGB+Composite sync signal directly from your SCART RGB equipped sources (SKY, Freeview etc) whilst the Pro and Ultra require that you convert any SCART RGB sources to YUV before inputting them into the Deinterlacer.

Best regards

Joe

20. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,575
    Back again

randbo:
    SCART RGB sources - your first option using the JS Technology RGB2VGA converter into the Displays in-built HD15(VGA) socket works very well (though you do loose some menu settings when inputting video as RGBHV).

Another option you could consider is to get the YUV kit for the PS2 and a NetGem iPlay Freeview box that outputs YUV via SCART and then switch multiple YUV sources on your AV Receiver and into the Display via an additional YUV board (around £75)

I'd avoid using the 'convenience' feature of video 'conversion' on the AV Receiver for any of your 'primary' video sources; fine for a VCR, camcorder etc that get infrequent use but best avoided on your key sources.

oreboy13:
    A bit of a left field suggestion for most!!! Your looking at around £300 per source device for an SDI conversion (assuming your device can be modified) so whilst it may be 'the best' option not many folk will take that route I fear.

pjclark1:
    Dr John will be handing over product development to you soon enough and putting his feet up for a rest - you make it sound very simple :).

I also have to say that often enough S-Video done correctly can look pretty good.

Best regards

Joe

21. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    And just a quick RGB scart is not all that bad! The JS box is better, and if you are starting from scratch with no boards, it's the way to go, but a scart board actually makes a lot of sense in your setup, at least you can always get a picture. All the other ways of connecting DVD's sky, etc all rely on you having already gone into the setup menus. It's tricky stuff setting a system up with no composite video to get a menu up with.

22. cbemoore

cbemoore

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    I totally agree with MAW here.

I've got a scart board and a JS RGB-VGA convertor on my plasma. After hearing the scare stories about the scart board, I was expecting a BIG difference in the picture, but in actual fact I could detect very little difference. The JS box is marginally better, but the scart board is nowhere near as bad as some people try to make out.....

And the scart board is dead handy for connecting my camcorder and the OSD on my amp (both via Svideo). If I only had a JS box, I'd be stuffed.

Chris

23. Tony8377

Tony8377

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Joe, Thanks for the clarification, always nice to see a clear breakdown of exactly what models have been produced and exactly what they can do. It was the iScan Pro that I was referring to and currently have access to. Obviously the price reflecting the fact that is has limited abilities and even more limited inputs(would need an AV amp to feed more than one component source). Whilst I won't be able to test any of these until Monday night it just seems liked a good way to improve a cheap DVD player and more importantly TV picture?

One other thing that has just sprung to mind is will it output in RGB (as the Centre Stage does) because without it, it wont even work on the fixed VGA input of the PW7?

Thanks, Tony

24. randbo

randbo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cheers for the info guys it's much appreciated :thumbsup:

Will have a dig around the back of my couch to see if I can get enough dosh for both the JS RGB>VGA and a component board (keep the options open).

Randbo