1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PW7 Connection advice

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by ScottC25, Oct 25, 2005.

1. ScottC25

ScottC25
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    HI all, I'm fairly new on here and have searched around the forum but haven't found answers to my particular queries.

I have a PW7 plasma and have just purchased a Denon 1920 dvd player which has Prog Scan capability.
    The PLasma has only a SCART board and the pc monitor type input (AVI?)

Dvd player is located about 10m away from the screen and I can't really alter this.

At present dvd player is connected via Scart to Sky+ box and Sky+ box to the Panasonic plasma.

Q1. Is there a way of connecting the component out sockets on the dvd to the AVI input on the plasma.

Q2. Is this advisable or would I be better buying a component board for the plasma and if so any recs as to where to buy one.

Q3. would running a cable of this length deteriorate the picture quality by much and would component offer that much better pic quality over the RGB SCART

A lot of questions, I know but I' fairly inexperienced on all this so thanks for any input offered

Scott

2. phillfyspoon

phillfyspoon
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +76
    If you had the PW6 u could use the pc input for component but the pw7 doesnt allow this. I would try and get a component terminal board.

3. ScottC25

ScottC25
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for that

Any idea why the newer version doesn't include something the older one did

4. phillfyspoon

phillfyspoon
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +76
    The PW6 could accept a component and RGB signal throught the vga in. Panasonic must of took the component out to sell more boards.

5. Mep

Mep

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +474
    then they put it back for the 8 series!

6. dickst3

dickst3

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    The std method for this setup appears to be DVD-scart-SKY box-scart-JS (RGB to VGA) convertor-plasma via VGA input.

Thats what I have and it works great :smashin:

7. ScottC25

ScottC25
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The dvd also has HDMI output, does anyone think I would be better buying an HDMI board for the Plasma to make use of this connection

Thanks

8. Mep

Mep

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +474
    no, definitely not, component board is best,

9. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,589
    Hello ScottC2

Panasonic removed YUV 'Component' compatibility via the HD15(VGA) Port on the 7 Series Displays as it let them off with having to meet certain pre conditions on the TY-FB7HM HDMI Board that works with the 7 Series Displays (basically the HDMI Board is fine with 60Hz signals but limited to being compatible with only a non scaled 576P signal at 50Hz).

If you have Progressive YUV 'Component' Out via Analogue (3RCA) or Digital (HDMI) then either Board is an option for you - its only if you have a Source that also Up-converts (to 720P and 1080i) that the limitations of the 7 Series HDMI Board rears its head.

Configured correctly there is little to choose between Progressive YUV 'Component' on Analogue and Digital - though with a 10m run a 3RCA to 3BNC cable is going to cost less than a decent HDMI cable.

Progressive YUV Component will look better than Interlaced RGB if your DVD player has a better Deinterlacing engine than the one built into the Display - mind you the SCART Board on the 7 Series Displays always looked 'soft' to me so YUV 'Component' is likely to look better anyway.

Best regards

Joe

10. ScottC25

ScottC25
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks everyone for the replies. Think I'll go with the component over the HDMI. Anyone recommend anywhere to buy the component board.
    WIll have to wait until I can send the wife away as this will involve the lifting of some flooring which I can hopefully do without her ever noticing!!!!