PW7 Connection advice

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs Forum' started by ScottC25, Oct 25, 2005.

1. ScottC25

ScottC25

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    HI all, I'm fairly new on here and have searched around the forum but haven't found answers to my particular queries.

I have a PW7 plasma and have just purchased a Denon 1920 dvd player which has Prog Scan capability.
    The PLasma has only a SCART board and the pc monitor type input (AVI?)

Dvd player is located about 10m away from the screen and I can't really alter this.

At present dvd player is connected via Scart to Sky+ box and Sky+ box to the Panasonic plasma.

Q1. Is there a way of connecting the component out sockets on the dvd to the AVI input on the plasma.

Q2. Is this advisable or would I be better buying a component board for the plasma and if so any recs as to where to buy one.

Q3. would running a cable of this length deteriorate the picture quality by much and would component offer that much better pic quality over the RGB SCART

A lot of questions, I know but I' fairly inexperienced on all this so thanks for any input offered

Scott

2. phillfyspoon

phillfyspoon
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +76
    If you had the PW6 u could use the pc input for component but the pw7 doesnt allow this. I would try and get a component terminal board.

3. ScottC25

ScottC25

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Thanks for that

Any idea why the newer version doesn't include something the older one did

4. phillfyspoon

phillfyspoon
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +76
    The PW6 could accept a component and RGB signal throught the vga in. Panasonic must of took the component out to sell more boards.

5. Mep

Mep

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +484
    then they put it back for the 8 series!

6. dickst3

dickst3

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    The std method for this setup appears to be DVD-scart-SKY box-scart-JS (RGB to VGA) convertor-plasma via VGA input.

Thats what I have and it works great :smashin:

7. ScottC25

ScottC25

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    The dvd also has HDMI output, does anyone think I would be better buying an HDMI board for the Plasma to make use of this connection

Thanks

8. Mep

Mep

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +484
    no, definitely not, component board is best,

9. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,592
    Hello ScottC2

Panasonic removed YUV 'Component' compatibility via the HD15(VGA) Port on the 7 Series Displays as it let them off with having to meet certain pre conditions on the TY-FB7HM HDMI Board that works with the 7 Series Displays (basically the HDMI Board is fine with 60Hz signals but limited to being compatible with only a non scaled 576P signal at 50Hz).

If you have Progressive YUV 'Component' Out via Analogue (3RCA) or Digital (HDMI) then either Board is an option for you - its only if you have a Source that also Up-converts (to 720P and 1080i) that the limitations of the 7 Series HDMI Board rears its head.

Configured correctly there is little to choose between Progressive YUV 'Component' on Analogue and Digital - though with a 10m run a 3RCA to 3BNC cable is going to cost less than a decent HDMI cable.

Progressive YUV Component will look better than Interlaced RGB if your DVD player has a better Deinterlacing engine than the one built into the Display - mind you the SCART Board on the 7 Series Displays always looked 'soft' to me so YUV 'Component' is likely to look better anyway.

Best regards

Joe

10. ScottC25

ScottC25

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Thanks everyone for the replies. Think I'll go with the component over the HDMI. Anyone recommend anywhere to buy the component board.
    WIll have to wait until I can send the wife away as this will involve the lifting of some flooring which I can hopefully do without her ever noticing!!!!