1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PW7 Configuration

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by blackmanalishi, Dec 20, 2004.

1. blackmanalishi

blackmanalishi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all,

I've had my 37" PW7 for around a week now and am extremely happy with it.

However - I'm concerned that I'm not making the most of my connection options and am looking for tips on how to improve picture. Here's my set-up:

SCART Board
    Composite (RCA)/S-Video Board (when it arrives - out of stock!)

Sky+
    Pio DCS-323 Home Cinema kit
    Xbox

I want to be able to use PIP with Sky/DVD + Xbox, so I've set things up like this so far:

DVD to Sky+
    Sky+ to SCART Board
    Xbox to RCA Board (when it arrives!)

The Sky+ picture is very good, but not as sharp as I'd hoped. Would it be improved with top of the line SCART leads, or are there any other options? And will my Xbox give a good picture through RCA, or again are there other options. I don't really have the money to change my terminals as I've only just got them, but any other advice would be greatly appreciated.

:lease:

Ads
    www.blackmanalishi.com
    ----------------------------------
    37" PW7, Pio DCS-323, Sky+, Xbox, PS2, Inferior Intelligence...

2. David

David
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I got the Profigold scart cables after a recommendation in the cabling section. They're 1.5m and really substantial but were only about £15 each.

3. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    A sync separator like the JS RGB to VGA box will help sky+, and either an RGB kit or a component hi def kit will be much better for x-box, composite will always look a bit sorry on a panel this size.

4. blackmanalishi

blackmanalishi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks guys. I am actually considering getting the RGB to VGA box, especially as my plasma retailer are currently advertising the PW7 for £1300 so hopefully BarclayCard's price promise will net me a couple of hundred quid which I can use to get the JS stuff...

MAW, What are the RGB kit and Component High-Def kit?

Would I be better off getting the component terminal rather than RCA composite (seeing as I still haven't received the composite one anyway)? Is the picture that much better? I already have a 5-point component cable for my Xbox, but I was worried in case I needed to use other devices which weren't component-compatible, and in case PIP didn't work properly that way...

Thanks again,
    Ads
    www.blackmanalishi.com

5. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    Well then you already have the hi def kit! Get a component board, and plug it in. You might find the only boards available are BNC connector ones, this is simply cured with £5 spent in Maplins for BNC-RCA converters.
    BTW P in P works on any 2 inputs, takes a bit of getting your head around choosing them, but it does work.

6. blackmanalishi

blackmanalishi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Great, thanks again.

:thumbsup:

7. blackmanalishi

blackmanalishi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    MAW - FYI I just had a quick look in my manual and unfortunuately it says you can't use the following combinations for PIP:

PC D-Sub input with
    RCA Component or
    the optional Tuner.

So if I get the RGB2VGA and the RCA Component terminal (which does exist) I won't be able to use PIP. That sucks. I wonder if it would work with the BNC component and BNC to RCA converter you mentioned?

8. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    Well since the RCA component is not available, you'll have to use the BNC one. I can do PinP on mine with that. If you use the tuner, it disables all other ports, so dont use one, it's horrible anyway.

9. blackmanalishi

blackmanalishi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks again MAW. One more question if I may:

This could be just paranoia on my part, but the few sites I've found that sell the terminal boards (including AV Sales, although they won't sell it to me separately) seem to be selling the BNC Component board much cheaper than all the other boards - around £80-90 versus £130-£150. My simple brain repeatedly asks me whether this means they are of inferior quality in some respect. I'm sure that's not the case, but would you mind reassuring me? Is it as good as the RCA Component board, and is it better than the RCA Composite board? :lease:

Cheers
    Ads

10. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    The BNC board is better than any other video board (computer signal boards excepted) You can't get the setup wrong, and BNC terminals are designed for video, RCA is just convenient. RCA is in fact the wrong impedance for video.

11. blackmanalishi

blackmanalishi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Fantastic, thanks for clearing that up!

:clap:

12. blackmanalishi

blackmanalishi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've had some new info from a few sources which seems both confusing and worrying at the same time...

A Panasonic dealer specifically told me today that the BNC Component (TM6A) is not available in the UK for my model (TH37PW7BX) - and he didn't just mean a lack of stock, he meant it's not SUPPOSED to be available and could not confirm whether it would even work.

Then I looked at a compatibility chart on the Pan website (based on PW6 cos they don't yet have the 7 series but I imagine it's the same) and that also suggested that the BNC Component was only compatible with the Business version (is that the PWD7?), and for the Consumer version the RCA Component terminal was the option (TM6Z). The problem with that is PIP does not work with PC input & TM6Z, and it's gonna be out of stock at Pan for a while anyway. :censored:

To top that off, the friendly people at ivojo.co.uk who were advertising the BNC Comp very cheaply said I need to be careful because it may not be compatible with the consumer model I've bought as it's manufactured by the guys who make the business model. Gaaaargh!

So can someone PLEASE help! I need to know for sure whether the TM6A (BNC) Component will work with my screen, and if so where the hell I can get one between now and early january, for under £130. :lease:

13. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    1st I've heard of it if it's not compatible! Don't know where you are, but I daresay I've got a spare one. You're on a loser if I post it tho!

Obviously if it doesn't work you get your money back! I bet it does.

14. ynalepa

ynalepa
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just got my JS RGB2VGA box (to go with my panny 7) last night and HOLY PAP!! IT WORKS WONDERS!!, on anything, freeview, xbox and dvds!!! HIGHLY recommended!!!

:clap: sorry just had to get it off my chest! :thumbsup:

15. blackmanalishi

blackmanalishi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    MAW, you're a true gent - can you send me an e-mail with cost details and how I can pay you for it? I'll need to call BuyYourAV and tell them to cancel my order for one, as I'm convinced they won't get any til end of Jan at the earliest.

I live on the Wirral but I'm travelling down to Essex on Tuesday for a couple of days, and I'm willing to travel a fair distance from either location to collect!

Thanks again. :clap:

16. blackmanalishi

blackmanalishi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks ynalepa, I think you've convinced me to go with the converter too! Now if I can just get BarclayCard to honour their Price Promise on the insane prices the PW7 is currently being advertised for - £1254 on discountaudiovision.co.uk and dropping daily...

:thumbsup: