1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PW7 - Automatic progressive and interlaced source detection?

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by flexiondotorg, Mar 21, 2005.

1. flexiondotorg

flexiondotorg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Hi,

This is probably is simple question but something I have overlooked during my demos of the 37" Panny plasma (TH-37PWD7).

Do these screen automatically detect interlaced and progressive sources from the inputs and then handle them appropriately? Or, do you configure an input to only handle a specific type of source material? I am guessing it will auto detect, but I would like to know for sure.

Thanks in advance.

2. Mep

Mep

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +460
    the screens are prog scan anyway and unless you have a £500+ dvd player will most likely do ps better than source.

3. flexiondotorg

flexiondotorg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    I think this helps. You are saying that regardless of source format the PW7 will display the video progressively, which infers that these screens do auto-detect interlaced material and convert it?

I am considering a scaler, not sure if I will do this from the outset or at a later date. Hence the reason for my question, if I do not go for the scaler now I wanted to be sure my multiple connections in to my A/V receiver will work when up-converted to a single component out going to the plasma.

4. Mep

Mep

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +460
    yep that's what I'm saying :) save money on scaler for later date if you feel you need it.....the experts here would recommend going for professional calibration when you get the scaler

5. flexiondotorg

flexiondotorg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    I have already budgeted for ISF calibration :) Due to the reduced number of cables, converters and plasma boards I would need to buy if I use a scaler, the cost difference is of using a scaler is ~£200 more than routing everything through the A/V reciever and up-converting. Over the total cost of the new system this is "small change", but I wanted to understand the interlaced/progressive handling piece anyway.

Thanks for answering my questions.

6. Mep

Mep

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +460
    which scaler are you looking at out of interest?

7. docb

docb
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I am thinking along the same lines, and looking at the Lumagen scalers.
    They seem to be the "best" of the bunch for the money, but actually seeing one in the flesh seems very difficult.

Does anyone know anywhere around yorkshire where they can be demo'd, and if so if other scalers can be seen side by side?
    Sorry for highjacking the thread...!!

8. flexiondotorg

flexiondotorg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    After seeing several DVI/HDMI vs. Component comparisons at various dealers with various hardware I have concluded that using DVI/HDMI connections doesn't yeild sufficient quality imporvement to warrant the extra expense. Please don't flame me, it is just my opinion and a generalism.

That said, the CinemaTeq Picture Optimizer looks like a suitable solution for my minimal setup.

http://www.cinemateq.de/index.php?content=e_2_1_5_0

I am planning on running everyting into my A/V receiver as interlaced, then running the up-converted component out from the receiver to the CinemaTeq component input, then out from the CinemaTeq via VGA and into the built in VGA input of the PW7.

The VGA output from the CinemaTeq can be configued to RGBHV, RGBS, RGsB or YUV. I just need to find out if the PW7 is compatible with at least one of those...

9. Mep

Mep

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +460
    well as the js tech rgb to vga converter outputs rgb with H&V seperated it should be fine I would think

10. samjet

samjet
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    that seems to be one of the favourite quotes from a certain dragon :rotfl:

11. flexiondotorg

flexiondotorg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    I have looked at the JS RGB to VGA converter, I don't think I need it for what I am proposing. Isn't the JS RGB to VGA converter Scart in VGA out?

If so, it would not fit my requirements as I would have component out from my AVR which goes into the scalers component in. The CinemaTeq scaler only outputs on VGA but can be configured to use a number of different color spaces.

12. Mep

Mep

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +460
    :D yes it does look familiar doesn't it!!..but also true based upon my experiences so far :smashin:

13. Mep

Mep

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +460
    what i meant was the js puts out the same signal to vga that your scaler does

14. flexiondotorg

flexiondotorg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    OK, thanks for the clarification.

15. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    Hiya Martin,
    You need your scaler before ISF, or you will need it done again, and with all due respect to Gordon, I think the scaler will make more difference, and in fact multiply it's usefulness with ISF, I'm sure Gordon would rather work with a scaler than without. The Cinemateq is probably the least favoured scaler on the forum, most have DVDO or Lumagen. Looking at the spec, this is probably because they have more inputs as well as more retailers, and I believe, a more professional and adjustable interface. My thoughts, FWIW, you should probably look at an HD screen, then get the scaler later, then the ISF. You could then go component via the amp for all component or s-video sources, and any RGB scarts, ie sky etc, RGB to VGA, then sell the vga box when a scaler is possible. Just another way of looking at it, others will have different views!

16. flexiondotorg

flexiondotorg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Hello again :)

I realise that I need ISF when both scaler and plasma are in place. No probs there. I also appreciate that the CienmaTeq is not as popular on these forums as the DVDO iScan HD/HD+. I have not ruled out the DVDO iScan HD completely, but for £529 the Cinemateq is more affordable and while offering minimal features, it does do everything I would need.

While I would love an HD screen, it is probably beyond my budget at the moment. I will have to do some price comparisons when I have finally settled on the other equipment and connections.

I think I am right in saying that the standard definition Panny plasma can accept 720p video? I do realise that they are not high definition resolution, and will downscale the video. So long as I have this right about SD screens working with 720p video, then I think it is suitable for my viewing requirements at this time and certainly within budget.