1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PW7 aspect question?

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by CarlitoBrigante, Dec 16, 2004.

1. CarlitoBrigante

CarlitoBrigante

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I was wondering what anyone out there with a PW6 / PW7 use as an aspect ratio when watching the PW7.

I've been using 16:9 for Sky, and although it stretches the picture a bit, it's still better than possibly damaging the screen.

But when watching DVDs I've noticed that 16:9 seems to hold it to what seems like the correct aspect, i.e. no stretch. When I put it on 'Panasonic auto', in which I thought was supposed to work out correct aspect, it seems to stretch the picture vertically. Any thoughts on this?

Also wondering whether watching a lot of DVDs which are going to have black bars at the top and bottom of the screen will damage the screen in the long run?

2. TeresaTT

TeresaTT

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    I have had my PWD6 for a couple of months and have clocked up over 200 hours. Initially I reduced brightness and contrast, but viewed everything as I would on my old CRT set. I watch all 4:3 programmes as 4:3 but set the side bars to grey. I would say that just over half of my TV viewing is 4:3, the rest is 16:9. Only few hours a week are spent watching DVD's and these are mostly in 2.35:1 aspect which has black bars at top and bottom. My son has also spent a couple of hours a week playing his XBox and Gamecube.

So far I have not noticed any screen burn, not even from bright channel logos. My viewing is very mixed so no particular aspect ratio or logo is displayed for many hours at one time.

Therefore, I would not worry too much about screen burn, especially on the PW7 as it is supposed to be more resistant than the PW6.

3. geeWcee

geeWcee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    Carlito, I generally watch all sources at 16:9. It seems to suit most programme material with no problems. I get the same effect when watching Auto mode (vertical stretch) whereas 'zoom' is only slightly better. I wish the Auto mode was as effective as the Sony 'smart' on the CRT I just replaced. You could watch 4;3 material as widescren with no noticable stretching.
    I may actually read the manual one day to see if it needs setting up in some way.

Panasonic 'just' mode - why anyone would want to view it is a mystery. Gave me eye strain after about 2 mins.

4. blackmanalishi

blackmanalishi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Carlito,

I was playing around with my PW7 for the first time last night and tried all the modes. From what I can tell the Auto mode actually stretches the side edges of the picture in TV mode (similar to the Samsung "Panoramic" setting), and watching TV in 16:9 can look a little stretched if that particular programme isn't being broadcast in widescreen - and many still aren't.

I'd suggest using 16:9 on your DVDs as they are more often than not set up to view that aspect correctly, and use 4:3 on TV if the stretching becomes annoying (usually on shows where there are lots of close-up headshots like soaps!).

Good luck... :thumbsup:

Ads
    www.blackmanalishi.com
    ------------------------
    TH32PW7BX, Pioneer DCS-323, Sky+, Xbox, PS2, expensive contents insurance...

5. TeresaTT

TeresaTT

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    The Auto mode can be adjusted to either display 4:3 as 4:3 or Just mode.

geeWcee, how can you watch 4:3 material as widescreen with no noticable stretching? I just can't bear it. I even notice it on cartoons. It drives me mad.

6. geeWcee

geeWcee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    Was fine on Sony smart mode on my 28" CRT.....honest!! will post a pic sometime.
    A damn sight better than the panny auto mode.

7. David

David
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My Thomson Freeview box has a 16:9 output (not sure what it does to the picture to achieve this), but with the screen set to 16:9 too, the picture has the correct aspect ratio and looks good - no stretching.

8. TeresaTT

TeresaTT

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    If it's showing a 4:3 picture with no stretching, it's probably zoomed into it so that the top and bottom are cut off to make it fit sideways.

9. geeWcee

geeWcee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    Thats similar to how the sony achieved it. But without cropping too much info.

10. Dean

Dean

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +190
    I don't mind the slight verticle stretch in panasonic auto mode, it fills the whole screen nicely, i jst hate seeing borders (unless it is a true 4:3 broadcast), it was the whole point i got a 16:9 panel to begin with!

11. geeWcee

geeWcee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    Dean, watching the 16:9 mode gives you better results than the auto dont you think?

12. CarlitoBrigante

CarlitoBrigante

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the pointers guys. I am probably being a bit careful, but I just didn't want to damage the screen, as most of my DVDs are in 2.35:1 and I watch quite a lot over the weekend sometimes.

Teresa TT: You say that you can alter the 'auto' mode to show 4:3 broadcasts as 4:3. How do you do this? And if you can, is it possible to alter the settings of the 'auto' to show 2.35:1 in 16:9 mode rather than stretching the picture vertically as it does now?

geeWcee: I know what you mean about the Sony. I have a 32" CRT in the bedroom, and on Smart mode it looks fine. It does slightly crop the top and bottom of the image though. This is more noticable when football is broadcast on ITV, as the team names and score are right at the top of the screen and almost completely cut out on smart mode. Still looks fine with most things though..

13. TeresaTT

TeresaTT

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Go to the set-up menu and select signal. The last option on this menu is 'Panasonic Auto (4:3)' Here you have the options to select Just or 4:3. The auto mode will then switch between 16:9 and for 4:3 pictures, whatever you have selected in this option. The default I think is Just. Note that this option is only available on a scart input. I'm afraid that there are no other settings that can be changed for aspect ratios.

The majority of DVD movies are in 'enhanced widescreen' or technically 'anamorphic' widescreen. This means that the picture is squashed in sideways so that to display it correctly only a horizontal stretch is required. When such a picture is output by a DVD player, or digital broadcast, a special widescreen switching signal is sent down one of the scart pins to indicate to the screen to change aspect. This applies to both 16:9 movies and 2.35:1 pictures. Pictures that are in 2.35:1 will have black bars top and bottom. To get rid of these on an anamorphic picture and retain aspect proportionality, the screen would have to stretch the picture more horizontally than vertically. Very few screens, if any, have such a mode. If you zoom in on a 2.35:1 anamorphic picture, you will get rid of the black bars at the top and bottom, but you will have thin people.

There are some older DVD's that have letterbox widescreen. The picture is output in it's correct aspect ratio and to display correctly the screen just zooms in on it, performing both a horizontal and vertical stretch. This is why anamorphic widescreen is better quality than letterbox as the picture is only stretched one way, horizontally.

This whole subject is a very complex one and difffcult to explain. I have spent many hours on phone calls to Telewest trying to explain widescreen problems to their customer services. They never understand and fob me off saying it's my TV, TiVo or the way it's transmitted. However, there is an intermittent widescreen glitch on both Telewest and NTL set top boxes that many people have reported where the set top box forgets its in widescreen and goes into 4:3 mode. Resetting the box corrects the problem, but it's annoying. Telewest reckon it's nothing to do with their boxes, but all of us who experience the problem don't agree.

Anyway, I hope this info helps.

14. CarlitoBrigante

CarlitoBrigante

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the reply Teresa ;)

I've always understood the widescreen aspect ratio subject, but what I was trying to figure out was why, when in Panny auto mode, does it stretch the picture on DVDs to lose the black bars at top and bottom, thus giving me 'thin people'. I hate 'thin people' on widescreen tvs more than the 'fat people' that horizontal stretch gives :mad:

I was hoping there was a setting for the auto mode to change it, as when I select auto mode whilst watching a DVD, I think it goes to 'zoom', rather than 16:9, which I though would be a better option.

Obviously this isn't a problem with anamorphic discs, but I have a few DVDs that aren't anamorphic.

Thanks for the help though :smashin:

15. geeWcee

geeWcee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    getting my PW7 swapped out......more info later as I have to rush out now.

16. TeresaTT

TeresaTT

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    CarlitoBrigante, It sounds as though your PW7 is not getting a widescreen switch signal. This is normally output via one of the pins on the scart.

I'm not using my scart board now as I've got an RGB to VGA converter, but when I was using the scart I did notice that on letterboxed 4:3 pictures it would go into zoom mode to remove the black bars at the top and bottom. I found this annoying, but most 4:3 pictures are full height ones.

Therefore it looks as though your screen is not getting an anamorphic widescreen signal and is doing this zooming in mode which gives you thin people. How is your DVD player connected? Is is going directly to the scart? Are you using a fully wired scart cable?

Also, my old DVD player would not output the widescreen signal on NTSC disks, but worked fine on PAL. This will probably have been a bug in the region free chipping software.

17. CarlitoBrigante

CarlitoBrigante

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sorry Teresa, I think I explained things wrong. :rolleyes:

The anamorphic seems to work fine. My DVD is connected through component out, and through the AV amp.

It's just when I use a non-anamophic disc, and have the Panasonic auto option ON that it doesn't change to the correct aspect. I would have thought that the Plasma could detect the frame of the picture and set the aspect to 16:9 rather than always zooming :mad:

Can anamorphic only be signalled through a scart? Or would the component be sufficient if I disconnect the scart from the amp that connects it to the Plasma. :confused:

Cheers Teresa :smashin:

18. TeresaTT

TeresaTT

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    If you have a non anamorphic disk, ie one that has letterboxed widescreen, the DVD will not send a widescreen signal. Therefore it seems that the Panasonic auto mode detects the black bars and zooms into it. If it went into 16:9 mode, it would stretch the picture sideways and you would end up with fat people and very large black bars at the top and bottom. The 16:9 mode is a horizontal stretch to the picture only.

If your anamorphic disks are being displayed correctly in 16:9 mode and your DVD is connected to your amp via Component, then the DVD player must be using the alternative widescreen switching signal which is encoded in line 23 of the picture. The amp must be picking that up and outputting it on the scart pin to the screen. That is the only way that the Panasonic could switch to 16:9 mode on your set up that I can see, unless I've got myself totally confused.

19. CarlitoBrigante

CarlitoBrigante

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm baffled as well, LOL :confused: :confused: :confused:

All I know is the anamorphic seems to work fine, but it's just a problem with Panasonic auto reading non-anamorphic letterboxed discs.

I feel a bit bad making you think so much over something minor, but I'm a perfectionist, and sometimes can't be happy until things are put right :mad:

Cheers again :thumbsup:

20. Dean

Dean

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +190
    Both are good but most of the time i do use the auto mode. You do lose a 'very' small section at the top which is cut-off compared to the 16:9 mode (for the 2.35:1 material, otherwise true 16:9 discs should fill the whole screen in 16:9 mode anyway) but it is relatively insignificant in respect that you get a picture that fills the plasma screen completely.

21. geeWcee

geeWcee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    I feel auto mode is too distorted to watch.
    Each to their own mate.

22. TeresaTT

TeresaTT

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    But, geeWcee, you can set auto mode to switch just between anamorphic 16:9 and pure 4:3 with no distortion what so ever. You can deselect the Just mode in the settings.

23. geeWcee

geeWcee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    ahh sorry, I dont want to watch 4:3 material at the moment whilst I run in my set.
    Will have to start again when I get my new one next week ;-(

24. David

David
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Do all DVD players output the signal that will automatically switch the screen to 16:9 etc? I have an old Toshiba SD-100E and connect by scart through a Quintro box. Should this still switch the PW7 when in auto mode?

25. TeresaTT

TeresaTT

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    It probably should do providing you've used fully wired scart cables and you've set the screen to auto switch. Also, the DVD player needs to be set to output to a 16:9 screen. However, it's possible that it doesn't, or even that it uses line 23 of the picture although this method is not supportd by the Panasonic screens.

26. David

David
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks, I'll check the setup

27. Ken

Ken

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    So what was wrong with your screen GeeWcee.

Ken