1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PW7 as a PC monitor

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by sapkan, Oct 18, 2004.

1. sapkan

sapkan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I intend on buying a pw7 either in 37 or 42" form for my bedroom to use as a dedicated PC monitor for both PC work and watching movies through a DVD-ROM. Some questions below?

1. Since the screen's physical resolution is lower than that of most PCs, how is the computer picture gonna look like on it (black bars etc...)?

2. As I understand the Panny only has VGA input, when connected to VGA PC output would I be able to enjoy progressive scan images? Is VGA the best way to connect the PW7 to a PC?

3. I can have a PC custom built, what specific hardware do I have to make sure I get (video card, sound card, dvd-rom etc...)?

10x in advance for any assistance

2. daveb975

daveb975

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +242
    I would not recommend the PW7 as a full time PC monitor.

I have a PWD6, and have bought a VGA lead to connect my laptop. This works very well for my intended use of showing pictures on the screen, but the resolution is not high enough for use as a monitor.

Text is not very easy to read, and I think eye strain would occur pretty quickly.

If you want an all in one TV/monitor solution, you may be better off looking at LCD - TV quality id not quite up to plasma standards yet, but it would make a lot better monitor.

3. TeresaTT

TeresaTT

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    I agree with daveb975. Pictures look great from my laptop via VGA, but the resolution is too low for text. My laptop is set to its native resolution of 1400 x 1050 and the PWD6 will accept that resolution, but obviously downgrade it to its own native resolution. Text is only just legible. My laptop's resolution is quite high, so a lower resolution might be a bit more legible, but it's never going to look great.

The PC picture is 4:3 and to fill the plasma screen you would have to use its 16:9 mode which will stretch the picture sideways. This just about okay for games, but pictures will be distorted. Even widescreen laptops don't have a widescreen picture. It has to be stretched sideways. Most games have to be distorted to fill the screen, only a few games can output widescreen.

4. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    The widescreen thing is wide of the mark, sending it 1280/720 gets around this, and support for this res is increasing, but text only looks really readable from 10ft plus away, OK for presentations, but up close your eyes will continually be trying to focus, it's not good. You need a HD screen, Panny HD or Pioneer MXE-1 maybe. Personally I can't stand being up close to a Hitachi or Fujitsu ALIS screen either, partly from scaling artefacts and partly from 30Hz 'flicker' effect which I see. Both the Panny and Pio screens could refresh at 75Hz or so, which will be great for PC use.

5. TechMan

TechMan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You need to make sure your PC's graphics card supports the native resolution (in this case 852 X 480). If you put in a higher resolution, it will look pants as it has to be scaled. Many current graphics cards allow 852 x 480. Even more popular is 848 x 480 (as it is easy on cheaper cards) this can be used if you don't mind losing 4 pixels.

The best solutions? Either buy a Pixel Perfect Graphics card or but a TH-42PHD7BX when it arrives in November. It is native 1024x768.

6. sapkan

sapkan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    would a TH-42PHD7BX be significantly more expensive than the SD item?

I take it the Panny would be fine to watch DVDs from the DVD-ROM as long as the graphics card supports 852 X 480.

Why do so many people rate the Panny over the Pio and the Sonys when it comes to watching TV and DVD when its resolution is so low? Surely the PQ must be inferior

7. toby_smith

toby_smith
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Techman - do you know the details of the 42PHD7BX e.g. how it differs to the current PW7? I've been leaning towards getting a PW7, but don't need one staight away, and wonder if the HD model is the one to wait for?

8. TechMan

TechMan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The main reason that tha Panasonic screens score is that a picture quality is not decided by any one parameter.

Resolution, brightness, contrast ratio are all important but any of these taken in isolation will not give a quality indication.

Allways try to do A/B comparisons in a shoot out. Check the performance on a dark scene, the bar scene in Mission Impossible II is a good one. If you can't see the people sitting at the tables near the girl, forget it.

Don't get seduced by brightness. If you want brightness, buy a floodlight. Look at the reds. Some screens save money with cheaper orange phosphors. A real red should be like a coke can, not too orange.

Make sure there are enough bits within the digital processing. This affects the number of levels of grey that can be reproduced. 10 bits =1024 but 8 bits is only 256, 4 times less. That is a large amount when looking at a picture.

In short use your eyes when choosing but make sure the viewing environment is controlled.

The PHD7 is a 1024 x 768 screen compared to the 852 x 480 on the PW7. Which looks best will depend on the source.

Hope that helps.

9. sapkan

sapkan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    thanks for the input and patience boys

TechMan, if using the screen to watch sattelite TV through a receiver (rgb scart) and DVD (dvd-rom through VGA port) is SD my best bet?

10. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    HD models almost always look better, the processing is streets ahead. The problem with sending native res to a PWD screen is that there is not enough resolution for a windows desktop, the icons are huge, and the display properties box is bigger than the screen, you can't see the tabs or the OK button!

11. arikhard

arikhard

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Maybe stupid question, but what is the maxium refresh rate of Panasonic HD screens? Let say that pc resolution is 1024 x 768 and refresh rate set to 85 Hz. I think that plasma sreen cannot refresh at 85 Hz; what refresh rate it would use?