PW7 and PWD7 - The Lowdown!

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs Forum' started by c.hilding, Jan 6, 2005.

1. c.hilding

c.hilding

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It took a long time to read up on all the differences between the PW7 and PWD7 versions. So let the following be a reference to everyone wondering which model to choose.

Casing:
    PW7 (Consumer): Available in silver.
    PWD7 (Business): Available in charcoal and silver, charcoal being very easy on the eye and is good for home cinemas.

Radiation:
    PW7 (Consumer): Class "A" means less electrical interference.
    PWD7 (Business): Class "B" but no problem at all having it in your home.

PIP/PAP/POP:
    PW7 (Consumer): Single digitizer.
    PWD7 (Business): Twin digitizers, so that using the Twin source feature (PiP, PaP, PoP) is less restricted in what sources you can mix on screen.

Accessibility:
    PW7 (Consumer): Standard menu options.
    PWD7 (Business): More advanced menu options for setting up the image, good for those looking to get the best image out of the set. But be careful with the settings.

Warranty:
    PW7 (Consumer): Consumer warranty.
    PWD7 (Business): Consumer or business warranty depending on place of purchase.

Expandability:
    PW7 (Consumer): Supports all Series 7-boards aswell as being backwards-compatible with Series 6-boards.
    PWD7 (Business): Same as the PW7 in this aspect.

Technology:
    PW7 (Consumer): The PW7 retains much of the same technology of the PW6.
    PWD7 (Business): Only the PWD7 has the new technologies available in the US/JP versions of the 7 series (new pixel structure, extended grayscales, etc...). List of new features, tour of new features. (Click Plasma, then Picture and follow the tour. The new technologies are worth it! The PWD7 doesn't have a HiDef panel though, so don't take the 4th tour page into consideration.)

Price:
    PW7 (Consumer): That depends on where you buy it.
    PWD7 (Business): A bit cheaper than the PW7, probably because it's aimed at businesses.

This should help a few people out there. Enjoy!

// Christopher Hilding

2. Duffers0

Duffers0

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Would the same be true of the PW(D)6 range?
    RS has the PWD6 at £1299 without boards

3. c.hilding

c.hilding

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm sorry, but I can't answer that without guessing. I've only read up on the differences between the Series 7-models.

My guess, though, is that there is less of a difference between the Series 6 consumer and business models. I saw some threads mentioning that the only difference between the PW6 and PWD6 is the charcoal casing and twin digitizers of the latter.

The Series 6 is still a great panel, and you won't regret buying it.

Best Regards,
    Christopher H.

4. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,218
    but not much use........ what with no boards AV-sales PWD6 deal at £1549 inc mount, scart board and delivery is better value (especially as RS cant supply the boards....)
    PWD6 was never available in silver only PW6 was silver.....

5. Intenso

Intenso

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    My local RS can supply the boards component or scart at £150 each. Or AV4business.co.uk do them for £80 each.

6. SCo4

SCo4

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Looks like Panny have got their wires crossed if their 'business' set is better for home users :confused:

7. t0by

t0by

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Thanks for the lowdown, Christopher. Good to see it all down in black and white...

8. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,218
    how about the DVi boards??? Dual slot? extra VGA Boards? S-video boards? and i would be very very surprised if they have PAnny RCA component boards in stock......

9. Intenso

Intenso

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    RS have the scart and rca component boards. Both made by Toshiba for their PW6 clone. Identical boards to the panasonic's down to the product code etc. just got toshiba printed on them thats all. Seems reasonable for the component board. Although AV4business seems cheaper on the bnc board.

10. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,218
    so they have Tosh boards but still very limited choice......

11. Intenso

Intenso

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    Well i think scart or component should just about meet most peoples needs. Unless someone has a burning desire to use SVideo?

12. peezee

peezee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Had the opportunity to short-demo a PW6 couple of days ago. Great pic from a notebook PC via VGA as you'd expect, then I asked for a DVD and the guy had to use Scart input (I know, but didn't have a Component option board on the PW6 nor YUV -> VGA cable :rolleys: ).

I had read many times on this forum people saying "avoid Scart like the plague". Now I fully understand why. Very, very, very, but VERY soft picture... :suicide:

13. JonStatt

JonStatt

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +445
    My scart image is far from soft. Perhaps the DVD was outputting composite instead of RGB on the scart.

RS do have Panasonic modules too, because I got my scart from them and it is Panasonic branded. They probably get them from whoever they can!

Jonathan

14. Electric Mayhem

Electric Mayhem

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,935
    My Silver PWD6BX must be a figment of my imagination then......... ;) :D

15. Gussie

Gussie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +79
    Interesting - do you have proof that a TH-42PW7B does NOT have these features ...

- Up to 4,000:1 contrast ratio - New Real Black Drive System provides deeper, richer blacks and enhances image clarity and realism
    - 2,048 shades of gradation - New Super Real Gamma System provides superior performance at brightness levels where the human eye sees best
    - Full time 3.62 billion (maximum 8.52 billion) displayable colors
    - 10% brighter images - New Multi-Facet Asymmetrical Configuration Hyper-Pixel (MACH) Panel features bounded cell structure to improved light-emitting efficiency and intensity
    - Motion Picture Noise Disturbance Reduction - detects motion patterns that tend to generate noise and makes adjustments to maximize image quality without diminishing the quality of stationary background objects
    - 3D Color Management System - reproduces vibrant colors and natural skin tones
    - Active Interlace/Progressive Conversion System - reduces interlace to progressive conversion noise that often occurs when reproducing tiny movements, resulting in better vertical resolution.
    - 4x Digital Zoom - divide the screen into zones and enlarge images up to 400%
    - Newly developed phosphor boosts resistance to static-image burning to the same level as CRT displays

and these new menu items ..

- 4x zoom digital zoom
    - "COLOR MANAGEMENT" menu option under pictures menu
    - "VIDEO NR" under signal menu

because a TH-42PW7B I have played with - definitely has these new menu options! as has a TH-42PWD7BS which I purchased three weeks ago.

It would indeed be interesting to find out whether there ARE differences between TH-42PW7B and the TH-42PWD7BS under the skin.

Gussie :eek:

16. c.hilding

c.hilding

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes, there is a difference.

PWD7 Specifications. (US)
    PW7 Specifications. (UK)

The european PW7 lacks these major new technologies, along with several lesser breakthroughs:
    * Real Black Drive:
    Much improved black levels through having lowered the afterglow of the pixels.
    * Super Real Gamma:
    2048 Shades of gradiation instead of 1024.
    * Colors:
    3.62 billion (maximum 8.52 billion) displayable colors, whereas the PW7 only has ~1 billion displayable colors.
    * Adaptive Gain Control:
    Raises contrast while suppressing noise by detecting and boosting only the image edges, resulting in high contrast and high signal/noise ratio.
    * MACH Enhancer:
    Gives you more lifelike images, by averaging out the colors of an image so that your eyes percieve it as being more natural and vivid.

The European/British PW7 is more of a revised PW6, only having some of the new panel technologies. One of which is the improved phosphor, giving the panel a burn-in resistance on par with CRT displays.

Why panasonic produced lesser european models is unknown to me, and trying to find the reasoning behind their choice would only lead to unnecessary speculation. But the conclusion is that if you want these new technologies, the PWD7 or a Series 7-model imported from the US is the way to go.

I hope this answers your questions. It's past 12 and I need to sleep. :)

Best Regards,
    Christopher Hilding

17. 406lx

406lx

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    So is it really worth paying the extra 100 quid for the business model with its extra picture settings?

18. peezee

peezee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I _finally_ found a Panasonic dealer here (Paris) who (just) got a TH-42PWD7 to demo... I questionned the guy about the 37" models and he told me Panasonic is about to stop producing 37PW7's (but not 37PWD7's), and in fact all PW7 non-Pro monitors in the future...

So at some point in the near future there will only be PWD7 models, however they'll be available with a choice of silver or charcoal bezel (I was insisting on silver :blush: ), while today only the 42PWD7 or 50PHD7 offer this choice, all other Pro models come in charcoal only.

Maybe MAW or other dealers here can confirm or otherwise this piece of information from my local Panny retailer.

Anyway, I'll try to do a full demo next week, if the above posts about the PW7's not having the latest technology enhancements is true then I might be able to convince that charcoal ain't bad after all :D (either that or switch to 42" but less likely).

19. Davidgilmour

Davidgilmour

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    Was this with a RGB connected DVD player , peezee ?