1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PW7 - a touch of grain?

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by banjo21, Oct 19, 2004.

1. banjo21

banjo21

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +126
    Hi all,
    I went to demo a 37" PW7 on Saturday a P Hifi. I watched a few DVDs (Monsters Inc, Pirates of C, Matrix, Fifth Element). The set up was a Denon DVD , £800 punds worth but I dont know the model, with QED scart to PW7 and at same time from same DVD a component link to a 42" PW5. fyi both pictures were almost identical imho, with the PW5 throguh component being a touch smoother.

The thing is I wasn't blown away and I thought I should have been from what you folks have been saying in here. The picture was good but not WOW. My expectations are perhaps wrong, I expected a silky smooth almost liquid gloss, vivid image and in actual fact it was very subdued and sort of 'grainy'. I dont want to b**ch about a favourite panel but it didn't blow me away. I want it to coz I want one of these beauties.

Is it a case of "welcome to what Plasma PQ looks like" or was it perhaps a poor set up?

By the way a Sony 42 inch in same shop (the new floating thingy for £4K) looked to have more 'spice' in its picture, but I only got to view Monsters on it and I know animation does more favours to some screens than real life movies.

Thanks for any thoughts - I hope it was a poor set up, so I can get one of these into my living room asap.

2. Liam @ Prog AV

Liam @ Prog AV
    Well-known Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +827
    It may have been poor setup, although I doubt it for PJ Hifi. However RGB scart is traditionally very grainy on the PW6 (I'm sure the 7 uses the same board) and a component connection, or connection via a JS RGB converter, is much more vivid with no grain/softness in the image. Perhaps this could be the cause?

3. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    I'm giessing it wasnt PJ in guildford ...... least hope not... i would go back and ask to see the PW7 on component

4. banjo21

banjo21

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +126
    It was Peter's in Bromborough, Wirral. tbh it was very cinematic (if thats a word) - I do sit in Cinema's and think to myself how non-glossy those projected pictures are.
    I did however expect it to be more wow, you know like the first time you watched a DVD of a movie you'd only ever seen on VHS before.

Any new PW7 owners care to comment on their transition from CRT to Plasma??

PS. OT this one - does anyone know if the JS RGB to VGA converter can take a XBox advanced scart and put it through into a PC LCD (Viewsonic 171)? I know its off-topic but it would make getting one of these converetrs more of a must - if I didn't like it for Sky to PW7 then I could always use it for Xbox to PC screen.

5. Liam @ Prog AV

Liam @ Prog AV
    Well-known Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +827
    RGB to VGA will not work with 99% of PC monitors. The frequency is too low at video resolution for most monitors to understand.

The plasma may have been badly setup, even worse it might have been running composite scart to the 7 and component to the 5 (they weren't trying to flog an ex-demo 5 to you were they???). However there are some distinct differences from CRT to plasma so what you see is likely to be a combo of both.

6. zedzed

zedzed

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    I find that even through a decent scart cable and RGB to VGA convertor that the image from my telewest box is a little "soft" (although not grainy at all) - almost like it's just a tiny wee bit out of focus. (Through component though it's as sharp as a tack!)

I've not properly calibrated the screen yet though (only watched it for about 15 hours so far) - although I'm not sure using one of the calibration DVDs is going to help my scart/rgb to vga adapter image.

Anyhow - it's not noticable all the time - just every now and then - so it may be a channel specific thing. It also might be because I'm running some of the "screensaver" stuff (peak limit) which might be "smoothing" the image. I'm going to have a play later tonight and see if I can improve the image a little.

Oh - and I should say - I probably sit too close to the screen (about 8 to 9 ft) - so maybe the image would seem perfect if I was further away.

And one last point - my Mrs. said last night "it's a wonderfully sharp picture" - so maybe it's me and I need glasses!

7. zedzed

zedzed

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    An update on this - I notice when I change the picture to be "normal" (4:3) screen (with black lines down the side) the PQ is improved. I'm guessing it's because either (a) the signal from telewest isn't that good so when it's "blown up" to 42 inches I'm bound to see some loss of PQ, or (b) I'm sitting too close to the TV!

ZedZed