1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PW6B terminal boards!?!

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by Chandy3, Aug 27, 2004.

1. Chandy3

Chandy3
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Guys,

I have chosen to go with the panny and had obtained a quote, unfortunatly when I wanted to place the order I was told that the terminal board for the silver screen was possibly not the same as for the charcoal screen and that confirmation of this was needed for which I am waiting for, is this true? I tought the only differnece was the colour? :confused:

2. zedzed

zedzed

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Depends. Sometimes the PW6 comes with a scart board as default - and usually the PWD6 comes with either component board (or nothing at all)!

When it comes to buying a PW(D)6 you should take nothing for granted and explicitly state what boards you want.

Zed

p.s. Where are you buying from?

3. Chandy3

Chandy3
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

AV-Sales, I have been told that I would have to purchase a scart board but did'nt realise that there was a difference in boards for different colours of screens

4. zedzed

zedzed

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Emmm, well it depends what kit you are connecting to it. If you need a scart input then you'll need a scart board!

Basically, the PW6 (and PWD6) comes as just a "plain" plasma panel with no input boards. There are about 5 different boards you can get with varying connection types. You can have multiple boards for multiple inputs. (i.e. scart board and component board).

If AV sales are recommending you get a Scart board then you must need one given the inputs you have. (av sales get a good rep. on here for helping you work out what connections you need).

ZedZed

5. pjclark1

pjclark1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +271
    Get the RGB SCART to VGA converter from here at £116 http://www.letsautomate.com/10894.cfm

and a VGA lead from ebuyer.co.uk (£5)

Then you can play progressive from your PS2, plug any RGB SCART device in
    and the picture will allegedly be far better than the panny SCART board can provide.

6. zedzed

zedzed

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    The general opinion on these forums would appear to be that if the PW6 has a weakness it's the scart board.

Or put it another way - it's such a good screen that it's a shame to feed it a signal that not component :)

ZedZed

7. pjclark1

pjclark1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +271
    yes, thats exactly what I am saying too.
    The PW6 has a poor quality SCART input board so don't use it, use the JS SCART to VGA instead.
    Quality is at least as good as the panny component board.
    and don't say you can't get progressive thru a RGB SCART, cos you can
    The PS2 can do it, and here is a £50 dvd player that can do it.
    http://www.area450.com/thesampozone/players/dvd5000external.htm

RGB should be as good if not better than Component (higher bandwidth as using 5 cables r,g,b,h,v instead of component using 3 cables Y,Y-r,Y-b squeezing 5 into 3 must reduce bandwidth by definition), but as someone else said a well designed Componant board will always be better than a poorly designed RGB SCART board. Peeps on a US forum say the JS RGB plasma to VGA box gives a superior picture to the panny component board.

Plasma screens were originally designed as VGA monitors (that use progressive rgbhv) so varying from those design parameters can only degrade the picture quality