1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

pw6 via js tech to vga for sky movies widescreen

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by tim k, Apr 3, 2005.

1. tim k

tim k

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have connected the sky scart to a js tech converter through to the vga panel on the pw6. The sky box is set to 16:9 as is the plasma. The problem im having is the movies channels all have black bars at top and bottom, have i got this setup correctly?? I find this with dvds as well, if i zoom i miss a couple of inches off!?

2. TeresaTT

TeresaTT

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    You have got this set up correctly. Many movies have an aspect ratio of 2.35:1 which is wider than 16:9 screens. This means that in order to show the entire width of the picture, black bars are used to fill in the empty space at the top and bottom.

If you zoom in, in addition to losing a couple of inches, you'll also have an out of proportion picture. Most widescreen pictures are anamorphic which means that the picture is squeezed into a 4:3 frame. The TV screen then has only to stretch the picture out sideways. If you zoom in on an anamorphic picture, you will stretch it both ways which means that you will get thin people instead of correctly proprtioned ones.

3. Davidgilmour

Davidgilmour

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    This was the reason that in Amsterdam 2 years ago someone - who had bought a Philips widescreen TV - went with his gun to the Philips HQ in Amsterdam. He kept several people hostage and had them put signs on the windows saying ' PHILIPS MISLEADS '. After 4 hours when he found out that he was not in the Philips building but at the neighbours (!) he committed suicide. True story, a movie about this tragic event is currently in the dutch cinemas. I don't know if the movie is recorded in widescreen though ( sarcasm mode off ). :smashin:

4. tim k

tim k

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well i dont think im homicidally annoyed by this, but it is defintaely frustrating, you would have thought a 2k plus kit would benefit the viewer in a complete viewing experience. I find its only on sky movies 1, but then they do output dolby digital, so ill let them off.

5. TeresaTT

TeresaTT

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    But you are getting a pretty good viewing experience. If screens were made in 2.35:1 aspect, you'd have black bars down the sides of 16:9 movies and just imagine how huge the black bars would be for 4:3 programmes.

6. Davidgilmour

Davidgilmour

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    yeah, but the name ' WIDESCREEN ' is kinda misleading. There should be a cardboard with 3 pictures on every widescreen sold.
    One with the stretched 4:3 image, one with the right 16:9 picture and one with the 2.35:1 pic. So that people would know that not all in the widescreen is perfect. Now , where did I put my gun ? :D