1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PW6 versus PW7

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by swarrans, Oct 2, 2004.

1. swarrans

swarrans
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I may have missed it in the other threads I've been looking at, but is there actually any improvement in the specs and performance of the new Panasonic standard definition plasma?
    If it's just the colour of the bezel then the "old" PW6 looks a real bargain at £400 less...
    (still trying to decide whether to buy one or not yet!)

Simon

2. daveb975

daveb975

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +275
    I am not sure that anyone has seen the PW7 set up 'properly' yet, but there is unlikely to be a huge difference.

You can get the PW6 in silver of £1700 with a SCART board, or the PWD6 in black for a similar amount.

3. t0by

t0by

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    I'm keen to know if anyone has tried a PW7 with the HDMI board yet...?

4. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,589
    Hello all

Not sure if this applies to the PW7 (Silver bezel) or not ( maybe someone who sells them can confirm) - I've just found out the 7 Series Display models (Charcoal bezel) WONT accept a YPbPr signal via the HD15 (VGA) socket so you'll need to budget for a TY-42TM6AB Component board (SRP £82.25) if your planning on connecting up via Interlaced or Progressive YPbPr (YUV).

Best regards

Joe

5. zedzed

zedzed

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Eh?! Didn't that used to work on the PW6 though? I'm just about ready to part with my cash for a PW6 or PW7 - but so far there are no real reasons (HDMI board aside - which isn't a factor for me really) for spending the extra on a PW7. And how you've (maybe) introduced a factor which actually means the PW6 is better (not just cheaper!)

ZedZed

p.s. Presumably using a JS Tech Scart to VGA and then on to VGA port will still work (since this isn't YPbPr)?

6. sapkan

sapkan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    whats the diff between the pw6 and the pwd6? Is it simply colour?

7. Unlight

Unlight

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Yep - PW6 is the silver model, PWD6 the black/charcoal one!

8. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,589
    Hello ZedZed

That's why I posted - there's no rule to say Panasonic have to keep the same features on the 7 as they had on the 6 :)

I believe there's a fair bit of negotiating going on to see if this 'specification' can be changed before the PWD7 units arrive!

Best regards

Joe

9. Unlight

Unlight

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Joe, sorry to go off topic, but do you know off hand if the actual terminal boards used on the PW7 are the same as those on the PW6? Just so I know whether to buy any extra ones I might need for the future without a hunt!

10. zedzed

zedzed

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Hmmm. Sounds like it'll be a PW6 for me then Joe - unless the PQ on the PW7 is way better than the PW6. Any clues on that Joe?

ZedZed

11. kirakira

kirakira

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    According to Panasonic, the following features are new for the Panasonic 7th Gen compared to 6th Gen:

- Gradient level have been bumped up from 1024 - 1536 shades to 1536 - 2048 shades, making the 7th Gen able to create 3-8 billion colours, up from previous 1 billion.
    - Improved Burn-in resistance now on par with CRT displays (claimed by Panasonic)
    - 10% Brighter Panel (700ish ccd/m2) but uses less power (negligible)
    - Improved Adaptive Gain Control
    - Motion Picture Disturbance Noise Reduction
    - 3D Colour Management System (OFF by default)
    - Better I/P conversion (i.e. better internal de-interlacer)
    - upto 4X digital zoom, up from previous 3X
    - Up to 4 x 4 multi-screen configuration, up from 3 x 3.
    - Now supports a variety of 7th generation expansion boards including SDI/HD-SDI, HDMI, Wireless, Ethernet Mediabox Distribution, Plug-in PC and other exotic expansion boards plus full backward compatibility with Gen 6 expansion boards.
    - New Japanese language menu option

Setbacks:
    - Even more shoddy digital support from Panasonic (if thats even possible). DVI now only can display 3 VGA res and does not support NR (according to brochure), however this is NOT confirmed. HDMI only supports vid res and 640x480 only. Of course 50Hz not supported for HD reses.

Other Notes:
    - The Viera equiv of the 7th gen panel is the Viera TH-42/50PX300 (JAPAN ONLY) released around July 2004 (!!).
    - The Viera series released in Europe/Aus is Japan's LAST YEAR'S MODEL of Viera, the TH-42PX20 which has already stopped production in Japan. There was no 50" Viera based on 6th gen panel technology released in Japan.

The thing I'm interested in is the burn-in resistance mainly, otherwise I'd be happy with a gen 6.

12. Dean

Dean

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +190
    What abt the contrast ratio of the 7th series.. I'd be surprised if they managed to improve the 6th series 4000:1 contrast ratio! :devil:

13. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,589
    Hello all

Unlight - some of the boards carry over from the 6 Series to the 7 Series; the difference appears to be how the boards are 'controlled' by the software in the 7 Series Displays.

ZedZed - its impossible to say from reading the specs if a 7 Series will perform better than a 6 Series.

KiraKira - for day to day 'TV' or Home Theatre use there really is nothing about image retention properties of the 6 Series Displays that should warrant you not getting one now.

If your planning on using it with a PC 24/7 then yes maybe wait and see what the 7 Series will offer; keep in mind though a lot of what the 7 Series seems to be offering by way of additional image retention protection looks to be fairly 'active' processing; so I expect you will 'see' visible differences if you invoke all of the anti screen burn modes.

Best regards

Joe

14. Tony8377

Tony8377

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    My PW7 still quotes the contrast ratio as 4000:1. I was given a six series component board with the PW7.

Joe, the only screen burn device I have activated is wobbling but I assume this won't have an effect on the picture. Not sure how this works but I assume it only shifts the picture every ten minutes (not less than) and isn't constantly shifting the picture? I haven't set Peak Limit or anything as I assumed this would have a negative effect on the contast/brightness. Would you recommend amending any other of the factory settings (other than reducing contrast, brightness, etc).

Also do people use P-NR (picture-noise reduction) or cinema reality or both together? I am always somewhat dubious of things like this as they can often make the picture worse (bit like graphic equalisers on HiFi).

Thanks, Tony

15. stumpy_uk

stumpy_uk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Does anyone know where I can get a Silver PW6 for £1700 from as the only ones I can find are black..Unfortunately I am one of the sad people who want a Silver Unit.

Cheers

Stumpy

16. pjclark1

pjclark1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +271
    wobbling moves the picture up and down about 1" in total
    over a period of about 15 mins. (shifted 1 line every 15 seconds or so)
    If you have your picture overscanned you can't tell what's happening. If you have your screen size adjusted to perfectly fit then a black bar will become visable as picture moves up and down.

17. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    erm have seen a post about a silver one for not alot more recently..... digital point? digital direct?

18. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    danielthesaint wrote this.

19. Tony8377

Tony8377

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4

That sounds a lot to me (5% shift) - so should I switch this off? I only watch TV so not really that concerned about screen burn.

20. Kaledii

Kaledii

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    TH37PWD7UX

Found this instruction manual on the American Panny web site. It suggests to me that the 7 series VGA input does accept component. Others (Joe) could comment on whether this confirms same spec as previous models.

Edit:
    Just realised that the PDF is too large to upload. Check out the support pages on the US site and search for the above model number. If that doesn't work try replacing 37 with 42.

21. sl8ed

sl8ed

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello everybody! This is my first post on here, but I've been reading all the very useful comments on here for a while.
    I'm also trying to decide between a PW6 and PW7 and have a couple of questions to ask, any replies would be very gratefully received and hopefully continue the same area as this thread. I'm looking to buy the tv tomorrow hopefully,after researching now for over 2 weeks, and before the girlfriend changes her mind :eek:

1. PW6 - Silver, PWD6 - Black. Is this the only difference? There also seems to be PW6B and PWD6BX!

2. PQ enhancments on the PW7 seem to include:
    - Improved Real Black Drive System
    - Improved Super Real Gamma System (2048 shades, 3.6 billion colours)
    - MACH Panel with bounded cell structure
    - Adaptive auto gain control (raises contrast, decreases noise)
    - High-precision motion picture disturbance (MPG) noise reduction
    - 3d colour management
    - Better vertical resolution, active I/P conversion.
    Have I missed anything, will these give significant improved PQ?
    I like the sound of MPG reduction, particularly for sport (i.e football!)

Any comments will be gratefully received.
    Cheers.

22. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    Basically colour only...suffix letters determine market ie UK models end in B IIRC UX is USA etc etc etc

23. kirakira

kirakira

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the advice Joe. Unforunately I do play quite a lot of games on my TV and that seemed to cause a few problems as I read on other forums especially with health bars and what have you fixed in one position.

Panasonic claims that the image retention resistance is achieved by the development of a new phosphor type, again this is what panasonic claims.

To Others: The contrast ratio on the 7 series has NOT changed. 4000:1 for SD 42" or below, 3000:1 for HD panels.

24. sl8ed

sl8ed

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the reply HornyDragon.
    So you've gone for the PW6 in the end, what made your mind up? It definitely is the more tried and tested one of the two isn't it. I'm just toying with the fact the PW7 is only another £160 more for a similar deal to what you've gone for. Its making the decision very hard. I'm also swayed by the MPD noise reduction on the PW7.

25. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    please do not assume that i own this kit until very recently i worked for a dealer and hence have a lot of experience of kit that i have not spent a penny of my hard earned on.
    PW7 make a good case biggest is HDMI support..... but not critical on an SD unit! depends how tight budget is.....

26. sl8ed

sl8ed

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sorry, should have read the post above a bit better. You were quoting somebody else. Have been on the laptop a bit too long today I think!

Think it will be the PW7 for me. £160 isn't a premium to pay for the latest model and design.

27. kirakira

kirakira

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    sl8ed, refer to my post earlier on all the differences between 7gen and 6gen, you missed a few things in your post.
    - Mach panel with bounded cell structure is not a new feature.

The only interesting feature about 7gen that's not related to processing effects are:
    - 2048 shades for dark areas, 1536 for light areas 3 billion full time full colour panel
    - Burn-in resistance same as CRT (new phospher type)
    - 10% brighter panel while uses less power
    - More plug-in boards.

28. sl8ed

sl8ed

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the reply Kirakira.
    Your post earlier actually prompted me to post.

The brochures I've looked at say that MACH panel with bounded cell structure was only a feature on the HD panels (50/42PHD6). I don't know for sure though of course.

I'm probably going to watch quite a bit of sport. And the MPD noise reduction will probably help with PQ for this. Assuming its any good!

My main worry is that the tweaks for the PW7 will have made the PQ worse than that of the PW6.

29. kirakira

kirakira

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    That is possible but all those processing effect like Colour management and improved AGC can be all turned off so it shouldn't affect it. By the looks of things, the 7gen is better than 6gen purely based on the panel itself, of course this is all on paper, I live in Australia and believe me we ain't getting 7 gen anytime soon. For me the biggest selling point is burn-in resistance, the major weakness of PDPs.

30. zedzed

zedzed

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Where are you finding a TH42PW7 for just £160 more than the PW6? The cheapest PW6 I can see is from digital-point (see posts today for one not so happy customer - but that might just be a one off), which is for £1750. You know someone selling a PW7 for £1900-ish ?!

ZZ